Z540 w/ kawasaki: sooty cold starts?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Z540 w/ kawasaki: sooty cold starts?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-10-2019 @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks

Z540 w/ kawasaki: sooty cold starts?

My z540r has only 5hrs on it but I notice when i start it for the first time when using it runs dirty for a minute or so. It emits some smoke and exhaust really smells. Is this normal during cold starts? Anything I can do to reduce this?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    Do you over-choke it? By that, I mean you still have the choke on after it starts. It also may be the choke setting is off some and not getting enough air at the time you start the engine. Try starting with the choke fully closed the first instant it starts and releasing the choke as soon as it runs.

Those cylinder heads are horizontal and oil collects combustion chamber when engine is off, and than it burns causing smoke at start-up.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    Do you over-choke it? By that, I mean you still have the choke on after it starts. It also may be the choke setting is off some and not getting enough air at the time you start the engine. Try starting with the choke fully closed the first instant it starts and releasing the choke as soon as it runs.

Those cylinder heads are horizontal and oil collects combustion chamber when engine is off, and than it burns causing smoke at start-up.
    I don't believe I'm over choking it I only choke until it fires usually but there are times I have to choke longer to keep it running. Actually surprised how rough this engine is for this model and such low hours. Anything else I should check for? I wouldve expected these to be smoother and run cleaner!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    What years is the Z540? And if it is a year old or so, you still have a warranty. If that is the case have the dealer come get it and make the repairs.

If not as above, I would suggest you should look into the carburation and float settings, plus the settings on the coke cables. The valves setting usually cause rough running, but not the smoking at start-up.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    What years is the Z540? And if it is a year old or so, you still have a warranty. If that is the case have the dealer come get it and make the repairs.

If not as above, I would suggest you should look into the carburation and float settings, plus the settings on the coke cables. The valves setting usually cause rough running, but not the smoking at start-up.
    Just got it in October there's about 5hrs on it. I'll have them take a look!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Fired it up today to move around garage and same deal. This thing stinks! Took at least 30mins to clear smell from garage with door open and fan running.

Haven't had dealer look yet but I'm sceptical based on this is a carbed motor with minimal emissions equipment.

Are the efis any better? Or do the diesel models have a dpf?

I've fired up my 2032r a few dozen times this yeah in same garage and it's 1000% cleaner!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Curious, is this the same 23.5 hp engine as in the Z920m? If so, mine does the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
    Curious, is this the same 23.5 hp engine as in the Z920m? If so, mine does the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Come on guys, What is it with these 23.5 hp engine that give out horrible odors when starting? Just think for a moment on what is burning in those cylinder heads. Fuel...gasoline... and maybe some Stay-bill or such. If this is the case, we must rush to go Green to save the planet. If it's not oil, what is it?

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernGreen View Post
    My z540r has only 5hrs on it but I notice when i start it for the first time when using it runs dirty for a minute or so. It emits some smoke and exhaust really smells. Is this normal during cold starts? Anything I can do to reduce this?

Thanks!
    Your Z540R has the same Kawasaki FS730V as my X500. These engines are notorious for smoking when starting. If you close the choke and start cranking they will typically let out huge plumes of smoke and run a bit rough for a few seconds.

It was recommended to me to crank the engine for a second or two with no choke and then just momentarily close the choke to start the engine. As soon as the engine starts release the choke but continue to half-way "burp" the choke periodically until the engine stays running without choke.

This procedure should enable the engine to start without any smoke and run smoothly right away. It has eliminated all the smoke at startup on my X500.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernGreen View Post

Thanks!
    Your Z540R has the same Kawasaki FS730V as my X500. These engines are notorious for smoking when starting. If you close the choke and start cranking they will typically let out huge plumes of smoke and run a bit rough for a few seconds.

It was recommended to me to crank the engine for a second or two with no choke and then just momentarily close the choke to start the engine. As soon as the engine starts release the choke but continue to half-way "burp" the choke periodically until the engine stays running without choke.

This procedure should enable the engine to start without any smoke and run smoothly right away. It has eliminated all the smoke at startup on my X500.
    I'll give that a shot! I have to run the garage fan for 30mins to get the dirty plume out of there after startup. Hoping this cuts it down a lot.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast