Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Something strange on my F525...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-13-2019 @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks

Something strange on my F525...

I recently picked up a new-to-me F525 with only 185 hours on the meter and noticed something a bit, well, peculiar on it... It’s got an A/C outlet tied into one of the lines going up the column. The outlet itself has an on/off switch and then there’s another switch in the control area that I’m not sure if it’s tied to the outlet too or not.

First question is, there’s no way this is stock, right? I haven’t even looked behind the plate yet (almost scared to) to see what’s going on. Second question is, have any of you seen something like this before? The mower runs and cuts perfectly fine so it’s not like it’s affecting the performance whatsoever, or at least not that I can tell.

I know this model is a mixed bag when it comes to reliability thanks to the Unitized Power Unit Thingymabobber 2000, but I love it and I’m happy to finally have my hands on one ... and one that looks to have some interesting character along with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 344449D1-E7F5-450D-AEED-788F29B9EC60_1543984174897.jpeg AF6A031C-93B1-4C11-89A6-E5E9C30BD16F_1543984191298.jpeg 56799567-C5F4-41D8-902D-89617B4543EA_1543984205117.jpeg 8597162F-8EEF-4782-8382-5ABDE9D1B644_1543984217716.jpeg
    ColonyPark and BigJim55 like this.
    - Justin

2001 JD F525
    48", unknown hours (broken meter)
    *Previously owned SX75 RER*

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 988 Posts
    My immediate guess is the switch is a homeowner special.....but I know next to nothing about these front mounted mower machines. It looks like a nice find BTW!
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,612 Posts
    My Grandfather was famous for doing that. But he wouldn’t go to the expense of putting a cover plate on. He would tell us you could buy a household switch for $.25, but an automotive switch was $5-10. Huge savings.
    DRobinson and ColonyPark like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    My immediate guess is the switch is a homeowner special[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/unknown.gif[/IMG].....but I know next to nothing about these front mounted mower machines. It looks like a nice find BTW![IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/good2.gif[/IMG]
    Yeah it’s in great shape overall. Battery was dead initially but I’m assuming it was from sitting for so long. Put it on a trickle charger and it fired right up. Will be relaxing the battery anyways.
    ColonyPark likes this.
    - Justin

2001 JD F525

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    My Grandfather was famous for doing that. But he wouldn’t go to the expense of putting a cover plate on. He would tell us you could but a switch for $.25, but an automotive switch was $5-10. Huge savings. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/lol.gif[/IMG]
    😄
    - Justin

2001 JD F525

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    I have one but it doesnít have that on it. Definitely not stock.

I love my F525. My son loves it more though. So I donít get to use it much. It has 750+ hours on it now so you should be good to go for a while.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ColonyPark and justineimers like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by justineimers View Post
    I recently picked up a new-to-me F525 with only 185 hours on the meter and noticed something a bit, well, peculiar on it... Itís got an A/C outlet tied into one of the lines going up the column. The outlet itself has an on/off switch and then thereís another switch in the control area that Iím not sure if itís tied to the outlet too or not.

First question is, thereís no way this is stock, right? I havenít even looked behind the plate yet (almost scared to) to see whatís going on. Second question is, have any of you seen something like this before? The mower runs and cuts perfectly fine so itís not like itís affecting the performance whatsoever, or at least not that I can tell.

I know this model is a mixed bag when it comes to reliability thanks to the Unitized Power Unit Thingymabobber 2000, but I love it and Iím happy to finally have my hands on one ... and one that looks to have some interesting character along with it.

John Deere wouldn't take the time to go to Ace Hardware and buy a common house-hold electric box and switch to add a AC unit. The previous owner had a few around add a switch for some reason. BTW> Many can tell how many hours are on a tractor by looking at the seat. That seat probably has way over 600 or more hours. The previous owner can add a electric box, can also switch out the hour meter.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by justineimers View Post
    I recently picked up a new-to-me F525 with only 185 hours on the meter and noticed something a bit, well, peculiar on it... It’s got an A/C outlet tied into one of the lines going up the column. The outlet itself has an on/off switch and then there’s another switch in the control area that I’m not sure if it’s tied to the outlet too or not.

First question is, there’s no way this is stock, right? I haven’t even looked behind the plate yet (almost scared to) to see what’s going on. Second question is, have any of you seen something like this before? The mower runs and cuts perfectly fine so it’s not like it’s affecting the performance whatsoever, or at least not that I can tell.

I know this model is a mixed bag when it comes to reliability thanks to the Unitized Power Unit Thingymabobber 2000, but I love it and I’m happy to finally have my hands on one ... and one that looks to have some interesting character along with it.

John Deere wouldn't take the time to go to Ace Hardware and buy a common house-hold electric box and switch to add a AC unit. The previous owner had a few around add a switch for some reason. BTW> Many can tell how many hours are on a tractor by looking at the seat. That seat probably has way over 600 or more hours. The previous owner can add a electric box, can also switch out the hour meter.
    I figured as much about the switch. I’m not overly concerned about the hours because it truly does run like a dream, regardless of whether it’s 185 or 1085. Everything under the hood looks nearly new so I don’t have any reason to believe I’ve had the wool pulled over my eyes.
    - Justin

2001 JD F525

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 1999 John Deere 345 with 912 hours, and a 2012 John Deere Z710A Ztrack with 295 hours. Both of these tractors have the original seats, and they don't look like the seat on your F525. My thoughts are, why would a person take a old worn out, vinyl split, dirty seat and install it on the F525 he is selling. Also, the deck pulleys are rusted, the rust on the from spindles, and there is probably more evidence the age and hours are shown elsewhere on the tractor. Yes, one can take a high pressure washer with some oily soap solution and wash the engine to the point that one would thing it was a new engine. 5 hours of mowing is roughly two days on mowing the lawn, and that few hours wouldn't destroy that seat you have.

Sorry to bring some bad news.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    I have a 1999 John Deere 345 with 912 hours, and a 2012 John Deere Z710A Ztrack with 295 hours. Both of these tractors have the original seats, and they don't look like the seat on your F525. My thoughts are, why would a person take a old worn out, vinyl split, dirty seat and install it on the F525 he is selling. Also, the deck pulleys are rusted, the rust on the from spindles, and there is probably more evidence the age and hours are shown elsewhere on the tractor. Yes, one can take a high pressure washer with some oily soap solution and wash the engine to the point that one would thing it was a new engine. 5 hours of mowing is roughly two days on mowing the lawn, and that few hours wouldn't destroy that seat you have.

Sorry to bring some bad news.
    You’re not bringing me any bad news, at all. I’ve wanted this model for a while now and I got this particular one for $400. It runs perfectly well and is clean (other than the seat you’re so concerned about and the rust which is merely a result of it having sat without the guards for a while). Could he have power washed the engine or messed with the hour meter? Sure. But who cares? I’m going to enjoy the heck out of this thing whether it’s in a new seat, a torn one or none at all.
    ColonyPark and mark02tj like this.
    - Justin

2001 JD F525

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast