Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New 950M blade suggestions.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks

New 950M blade suggestions.

Just took delivery of a brand new 950M with the deluxe seat. Anxiously waiting to use it. I like to keep a spare set of blades on hand and wondering what everyone else uses. Based on suggestions from this forum and research I chose the standard 60" deck. I am mowing about 3 acres, with some trees. So the question is do I stick with the stock blades as my back up set, or go with the Gator type or high lift?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyJ#9022 View Post
    Just took delivery of a brand new 950M with the deluxe seat. Anxiously waiting to use it. I like to keep a spare set of blades on hand and wondering what everyone else uses. Based on suggestions from this forum and research I chose the standard 60" deck. I am mowing about 3 acres, with some trees. So the question is do I stick with the stock blades as my back up set, or go with the Gator type or high lift?
    I’ve always used Gator blades on my previous mowers, so I tried them on my ZT. I wasn’t pleased at all. It felt like I couldn’t mow nearly as fast with them. So I went back to the factory blades and can normally stay between 10-11MPH on my Z950R.

Old Cajun likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,306 Posts
    When I had a commercial zero turn I ran nothing but the stock blades.

But now with the problematic deck on my compact tractor the Gator blades made a big improvement.
    Last edited by coaltrain; 04-20-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    That all depends on what is installed under the mower deck. Mainly, is there a "mulching kit" installed. If so, you are going to need and run mulching blades. Otherwise, you will be wasting money, time, and not getting the results running another type of blade.
    There are many factors is choosing blades... such as the type of grass, and how tall you cut the grass.
    Gizmo2 and Old Cajun like this.

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyJ#9022 View Post
    I'd mow a few times with it before you decide.
    I always ran high lift blades on our Toro Z-Master, I don't need the high lift blades on the Z915B.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 07:52 AM
    Thanks
    The most important aspect of any high end commercial mower, in my opinion, is cut quality. Sure, they are fast, but the exceptional cut quality is what allows them such a high rate of productivity. So, my theory is that the blades that come with a high end machine are going to be designed for optimal quality and performance with that machine.

The only reason to change blades would be if you are going change the job type. (i.e. dedicated mulching or high lift for bagging) In these cases, I would still get whichever blades the manufacturer offers for the specific job.

I have tried Gator blades on several mowers, and always end up going back to the oem blades.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2 and Old Cajun like this.
    X758
    54HC Deck w\auto-connect
    54 Quick Hitch Snowblower

9. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 3,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rottendiesel View Post
    The most important aspect of any high end commercial mower, in my opinion, is cut quality. Sure, they are fast, but the exceptional cut quality is what allows them such a high rate of productivity. So, my theory is that the blades that come with a high end machine are going to be designed for optimal quality and performance with that machine.

The only reason to change blades would be if you are going change the job type. (i.e. dedicated mulching or high lift for bagging) In these cases, I would still get whichever blades the manufacturer offers for the specific job.

I have tried Gator blades on several mowers, and always end up going back to the oem blades.
    Same here. Some say it may have something to do with the type of grass.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rottendiesel View Post

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I agree as far as a commercial zero turn - I had the best results with the OEM blades.

But this 62D belly mower I have for my 2520 did not-so-well with the OEM blades. Of course coming from a Z to this is a big difference in itself - shallower deck and less blade tip speed. The Gator blades on this deck have made it tolerable for me.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    So I have three cuttings with the new 950M. My impression is the cutting quality is excellent. So much better than the 1025R I sold. Glad I made the switch. Going to pick up a second set of OEM blades, as there is no need to change anything. Am going to look in to the Z glide suspension.
    Old Cajun likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Coming up on 5 years with 997 Z Trak (72" 7 Iron deck) with the original blades.

Cutting edges are still great, but starting to get abrasion erosion on the uplift wing on the backside (probably
    lost 1/2 the thickness on the wing).

Will be buying an OEM set to replace them, very happy with them plus with the amount of grass I cut (10 - 12 acres), they held up
    surprisingly well to me.
    Gizmo2 and coaltrain like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast