• 1 Post By JimR
  • 2 Post By JimR

Thread: TM What Version To Get

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks

TM What Version To Get

This applies to all of the manuals I guess. There are three versions of TM127619 for the Z9xx ZTrak machines.

Book - clearly a book
    CD - CD but what format
    Download - I assume PDF

They charge a bit more for the download version. I can get the book or CD version for a bit less from Green Parts. My question is if I get the CD Version is it a CD with the PDF version on it or is there some form of digital book on the CD?

I have the PDF version of the TM for my X585 and would prefer that version. My laptop doesn't have a CD Rom anymore. So, I am trying to find out if I get the CD version can I put it in my desktop and copy the PDF over to my laptop or am I better off paying a little bit more for the download which I assume would be PDF.

Like I said, this applies to all John Deere machines where they sell the TMs in this format. I don't have an issue yet but I am now out of warranty so I should order it as the CD or Book takes a couple weeks to get.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    The CDs just have a PDF file on them. I coped mine to the hard drive n my laptop. I also printed out a copy.

If you have a PDF editor you can insert your own notes into the file as well.

AFAIK, the CD PDF file and the Downloadable PDF are identical.
    jgayman likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

sennister (05-30-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    The CDs just have a PDF file on them. I coped mine to the hard drive n my laptop. I also printed out a copy.

If you have a PDF editor you can insert your own notes into the file as well.

AFAIK, the CD PDF file and the Downloadable PDF are identical.
    Ok, that is what I was thinking but you know what happens when you assume...

I didn't really want to spend $200 or $180 at Green Parts for the CD and find that I can't find a way to copy it to the hard drive. I was just going to download it again like I did for the TM on my X585 but it is quite a bit more. If anything it should be less as they don't have to go through the hassle of printing and binding a book or burning a CD. The Download should be the least expensive followed by the CD and the book the most expensive.

I haven't printed the entire book on my other one. I just do sections as needed. Besides I think the TM for the X585 covers 4 different machines so there is quite a bit that doesn't apply to me. I guess I could skip those sections. However it so nice to use the search feature in the PDF.

They want $25 more for the download. The only real benefit is you get it right now vs having to wait for them to make one of the other versions. That is why I want to order something now before I need it.

It is $225 for the download version $204 for the CD or Book from John Deere or $180 for the CD or Book version from Green Parts.
    Last edited by sennister; 05-30-2019 at 09:19 AM.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Ok, that is what I was thinking but you know what happens when you assume...

I didn't really want to spend $200 or $180 at Green Parts for the CD and find that I can't find a way to copy it to the hard drive. I was just going to download it again like I did for the TM on my X585 but it is quite a bit more. If anything it should be less as they don't have to go through the hassle of printing and binding a book or burning a CD. The Download should be the least expensive followed by the CD and the book the most expensive.

I haven't printed the entire book on my other one. I just do sections as needed. Besides I think the TM for the X585 covers 4 different machines so there is quite a bit that doesn't apply to me. I guess I could skip those sections. However it so nice to use the search feature in the PDF.

They want $25 more for the download. The only real benefit is you get it right now vs having to wait for them to make one of the other versions. That is why I want to order something now before I need it.

It is $225 for the download version $204 for the CD or Book from John Deere or $180 for the CD or Book version from Green Parts.
    The whole pricing thing on manuals is silly. They essentially doubled the price on all of them several months back and I can't think of a good reason for it. It would be one thing if they were charging higher prices for new models as they came out but they went back and upped the prices on all of the older manuals too.

I'm lucky in that my sister has a large commercial printer at her office. I gave her my CD and she printed out a full copy of the TM for my 2032R. She out the whole thing in a binder for me too! Now I use the digital copy to make annotations and just print out those pages as needed and replace the originals in the binder. Sometimes it's just stupid stuff. The manual will say to "Remove bolt B" and I'll add a note that the bolt is 12mm so I don't have to play around for 3 or 4 minutes figuring it out every time.
    johnH123 and sennister like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements