Z425 How to Remove ALL Hydraulic Oil?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By xcopterdoc
  • 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: Z425 How to Remove ALL Hydraulic Oil?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-02-2019 @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks

Z425 How to Remove ALL Hydraulic Oil?

My fluid is contaminated and I need to replace all of it. How does one remove all of the fluid? I can drain at each wheel but I do not see how to drain the pump assembly itself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    What is the nature of the contamination?

It is going to be difficult to drain completely without disassembling things. In situations like this it is usually best to just change the fluid, run it a few minutes and then change the fluid again.
    Toughsox likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Thanks
    Like @jgayman says, you would need to take off all the lines, hoses, valves, etc etc, then use some sort fo cleaning solvent, which if the wrong one is being used could damage seals or other vital parts. Your best bet is to get out what you can through conventional methods like drain plugs, fill it back up and run it a few minutes. Rinse and repeat a few times depending on what type and amount of contaminates you have.
    This happens alot where I work with people either leaving the cap off and it filling with water, filling the hydraulic tanks with diesel (yep.....happens more then you might imagine.) We have even had a guy that filled the hydraulic tank with coolant.
    Draining and refilling 3-4 times without going us tearing the machines apart, we have never had a failure after the fact that was related to the fuel or water.

Hope this puts your mind to ease but, if its something more severe of a contaminant, please let us know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    It got topped off with the wrong fluid, Type 303, JD20A. It moves okay when cold but as it warms up it cannot get up the slightest incline.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sawmkw View Post
    It got topped off with the wrong fluid, Type 303, JD20A. It moves okay when cold but as it warms up it cannot get up the slightest incline.
    How low was the level before you added some fluid?

It looks like older machines used low-vis Hy-Gard (J20D) and newer machines use standard 10W-30 oil.

I'm not sure what serial number your Z425 is but I looked through a few Owner's Manuals on-line and apparently earlier models had a replaceable filter and the ability to change the fluid whereas newer models have the ability for you to ADD fluid but as far as changing it the manual says "no maintenance required".

What is the serial number of your machine? Is it one which has a replaceable filter and serviceable transmission?
    Toughsox likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    Like @jgayman says, you would need to take off all the lines, hoses, valves, etc etc, then use some sort fo cleaning solvent, which if the wrong one is being used could damage seals or other vital parts. Your best bet is to get out what you can through conventional methods like drain plugs, fill it back up and run it a few minutes. Rinse and repeat a few times depending on what type and amount of contaminates you have.
    This happens alot where I work with people either leaving the cap off and it filling with water, filling the hydraulic tanks with diesel (yep.....happens more then you might imagine.) We have even had a guy that filled the hydraulic tank with coolant.
    Draining and refilling 3-4 times without going us tearing the machines apart, we have never had a failure after the fact that was related to the fuel or water.

Hope this puts your mind to ease but, if its something more severe of a contaminant, please let us know.
    Have em fill one with DEF and see what happens.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Toughsox likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    How low was the level before you added some fluid?

It looks like older machines used low-vis Hy-Gard (J20D) and newer machines use standard 10W-30 oil.

I'm not sure what serial number your Z425 is but I looked through a few Owner's Manuals on-line and apparently earlier models had a replaceable filter and the ability to change the fluid whereas newer models have the ability for you to ADD fluid but as far as changing it the manual says "no maintenance required".

What is the serial number of your machine? Is it one which has a replaceable filter and serviceable transmission?
    The serial number is: M0Z425J047165, Unit 17780. This is an older mower and it does use Hy-Gard (J20D) and has a filter underneath on the bottom of the fluid reservoir. It was probably 2" low when I added the wrong fluid. I drained it and put on a new filter but it looks like there is a considerable amount of fluid left in the machine even when the reservoir tank is empty. The lines to the wheels from the pump are higher than tank so that fluid stays. Replacing just what was in the tank did not help fix the issue.
    Last edited by sawmkw; 06-01-2019 at 02:11 PM.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sawmkw View Post
    The serial number is: M0Z425J047165, Unit 17780. This is an older mower and it does use Hy-Gard (J20D) and has a filter underneath on the bottom of the fluid reservoir. It was probably 2" low when I added the wrong fluid. I drained it and put on a new filter but it looks like there is a considerable amount of fluid left in the machine even when the reservoir tank is empty. The lines to the wheels from the pump are higher than tank so that fluid stays. Replacing just what was in the tank did not help fix the issue.
    According to the JD website this should be the correct manual:

Z425 EZTrak? Riding Mowers (N.A.) BASE UNIT (040001-060000) North American , Intek-445577 Briggs & Stratton Gas Engine,

According to the manual it appears that while your mower has a spin-on filter it does not have a drain plug. The oil is apparently drained via the filter. The manual says it holds ~10.5 quarts of oil.

As discussed previously, the only practical way to flush out the system is to remove the filter, drain the oil, refill with the proper fluid, run it a short period, drain the oil, refill with the proper oil, etc. Given that the system holds 10.5 qt and the reservoir accounts for 9 qt of the total capacity I can't imagine adding 2" of fluid would dilute the fluid all that much. Granted, 2 1/2 gallons of fluid seems like a lot to throw away each time but given the circumstances you will just need to keep flushing it out until the symptom you are experiencing goes away.

You might luck out and resolve the issue with a single flush.
    trboxman likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You might luck out and resolve the issue with a single flush.
    Let's hope so. Thanks jgayman, I appreciate it.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements