• 1 Post By jimmylh
  • 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: Break in period or first oil change

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-02-2019 @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks

Break in period or first oil change

Just purchased an almost new Z355R with 2 hours usage on it (long story). Manual does not say anything about a first oil change / break in period but the previous owner said after 5 hours usage to change oil and filter and after a google search said 8 hours in places ?
    Please claify?
    The manual said every year or 50 hours
    Thanks, SW
    Last edited by stevenw; 06-02-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    Old Cajun likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,097 Times in 3,021 Posts
    Not sure about break-in time frame (I would change the engine oil in 8 hours) but this may help later...
    https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/d...5R_48_deck.pdf
    Old Cajun likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,612 Posts
    5 or 8, doesn’t matter which way you go, just don’t overlook it.

Then it should be once a year or 50 hours (if that’s what the OM calls for) whichever comes first.
    Gizmo2, Old Cajun and Toughsox like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenw View Post
    Just purchased an almost new Z355R with 2 hours usage on it (long story). Manual does not say anything about a first oil change / break in period but the previous owner said after 5 hours usage to change oil and filter and after a google search said 8 hours in places ?
    Please claify?
    The manual said every year or 50 hours
    Thanks, SW
    This comes up all the time. For reasons that remain a mystery JD has removed the initial break-in oil change from the manuals on almost all of their lawn and garden equipment. If you go back to the manuals for earlier serial numbers, the 8-hour break-in oil change is still there.

The odd thing is if you go to the Briggs and Stratton website and look at the owner's manual for the Intek engine you will see they list a break-in oil change at 8 hours. So which manual would you believe, the manufacturer or the someone who is trying falsely lower the apparent cost of ownership? :-)

Briggs and Stratton engines aren't what they used to be. If it were my machine I would do an initial engine oil and filter after 8 hours.

As for the 50 hours, that all depends on how much you use your machine. I put about 50 hours a year on my X500 and have changed the oil every 25 hours since new. That equates to two oil changes per year which for an air cooled small engine is not excessive in my boot give than an oil/filter change costs about $15. My previous tractor was a 175 Hydro and I changed the oil on that one every 25 hours as well. It was still running like new when I sold it after 25+ years.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    This comes up all the time. For reasons that remain a mystery JD has removed the initial break-in oil change from the manuals on almost all of their lawn and garden equipment. If you go back to the manuals for earlier serial numbers, the 8-hour break-in oil change is still there.

The odd thing is if you go to the Briggs and Stratton website and look at the owner's manual for the Intek engine you will see they list a break-in oil change at 8 hours. So which manual would you believe, the manufacturer or the someone who is trying falsely lower the apparent cost of ownership? :-)

Briggs and Stratton engines aren't what they used to be. If it were my machine I would do an initial engine oil and filter after 8 hours.

As for the 50 hours, that all depends on how much you use your machine. I put about 50 hours a year on my X500 and have changed the oil every 25 hours since new. That equates to two oil changes per year which for an air cooled small engine is not excessive in my boot give than an oil/filter change costs about $15. My previous tractor was a 175 Hydro and I changed the oil on that one every 25 hours as well. It was still running like new when I sold it after 25+ years.
    You can say that again!!

I change the oil in my Snapper rear engine rider, generator and pressure washer approx. every 25 hours, all with Briggs engines.

And it dang sure can't hurt changing it at the first 8 hours either.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Thanks
    Seems Deere likes to change their maintenance schedules every few years for no good reason. The manual for my D160 says to change at 8 hours and every 50 after under normal conditions. The lcd hour meter flashed a reminder symbol at 8 hours. I haven't hit the 50 mark yet, since I mow with the 1025r now, but I changed it again at 25.
    Last edited by jimmylh; 06-02-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    Seems Deere likes to change their maintenance schedules every few years for no good reason. The manual for my D160 says to change at 8 hours and every 50 after under normal conditions. The lcd hour meter flashed a reminder symbol at 8 hours. I haven't hit the 50 mark yet, since I mow with the 1025r now, but I changed it again at 25.
    Which is weird because the folks who make the engines (both B&S and Kawasaki) have not changed the maintenance schedule. :-)
    jimmylh likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-15-2019 @ 11:38 PM
    Thanks
    Do the oil change after 5 or 8 hours (it doesnt really matter) and the put half good regular oil and half a good synthetic oil in it. Or use a synthetic blend. Run it for the regular 50 hours and the run full synthetic in it.

Synthetic oil makes the air cooled engine run cooler. After 50 hours, mine hasn't even changed color yet.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements