Should I buy a high hour 997? Whats considered high anyway?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Should I buy a high hour 997? Whats considered high anyway?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks

Should I buy a high hour 997? Whats considered high anyway?

I have a fairly low hour 915B and have been thinking of stepping up to the 997. I mow a lot of rural properties that only get done a couple times a year so the grass gets fairly long and thick. I'll be staying with 60" deck to fit thru some tight areas I have.

So far I've shied away from the 997 due to the price tag. But I recently found a 997 with 2200 hrs. From the pics looks in decent shape. Has a rear discharge 60" deck. The price he is asking is pretty close to what I think I could get for my 915B.

How are these units for longevity? Anything in particular to look out for in a higher hour unit. Hows the ride compared to a 915B?

Thanks!
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    Since nobody else has chimed in....

If that has the Yanmar diesel, 2k hours is just getting the engine broken in. It would be the rest of the mower I would be concerned about, if the owner kept up with maintenance of the deck and hydraulics it might be fine. I had to rebuild the deck on my Gravely Promaster 100 at about 300 hours and I was fairly consistent keeping the spindles greased. I would certainly have a look at it, I'm a big fan of diesels, and Yanmar makes one of the best.
    rtgt, jdforever and Toughsox like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. I've got a Yanmar in my 2720 and a had gas Yanmar on my in my old F932. Both have been bullet proof.

I wonder what shape the spindles in the deck would be in. I've got 200hrs on my 915B and they are all still solid.
    rtgt and johncanfield like this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
    Since nobody else has chimed in....

If that has the Yanmar diesel, 2k hours is just getting the engine broken in. It would be the rest of the mower I would be concerned about, if the owner kept up with maintenance of the deck and hydraulics it might be fine. I had to rebuild the deck on my Gravely Promaster 100 at about 300 hours and I was fairly consistent keeping the spindles greased. I would certainly have a look at it, I'm a big fan of diesels, and Yanmar makes one of the best.
    I agree with this - you don’t really have to worry about the engine. It’s all the rest of it especially the deck with 2200 hours. Gauge wheels, spindles, etc. But if it has been properly maintained I wouldn’t hesitate myself for the right price. At least with Deere all parts will still be available.
    johncanfield likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 861 Posts
    I'd give it a really good go over.

If it was a commercial machine maintenance is $ and time. They don't get treated like a one owner machine.

They do the required maintenance to keep the machine working but they also run them to a point and then trade them before the "little stuff" shows up and starts eating at the bottom line.

Once you go over the machine, price some of the parts that you think you'll possibly need and add that cost to your purchase price.

If you can, find a mechanic and get his opinion of what you'll need on the machine given the hours of use.

Many of the used commercial machines I've seen look like they have been rode pretty hard.
    johncanfield likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    When I rebuilt the deck on my Gravely, I think I had over $400 in parts alone - and this is a fairly simple 50" deck. It would be interesting to price deck parts for that 997 deck assuming the worst.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about the engine much. I agree with others that spindles and such are going to start being an issue unless they already were. Other than that the drive units are probably my biggest concern.

You sound kind of a like a "commercial mowing company". How hard is downtime on your bottom line? I think that is the answer and only you could come up with it. If it was just for cutting your yard and you could be down for a few days/week waiting on parts, then it isn't an issue. If you have customers that will flip out, well there is your answer.
    johncanfield likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    I have a couple of 997R units, both with 72” decks. The decks are shaft driven and pretty bullet proof if given normal attention. Spindles are main concern. If one is bent deck will vibrate and shudder. Diesels are the way to go if cutting a lot of grass. Big machines which weight over 2000 pounds, with 72” deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    johncanfield likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 PM
    Thanks

Z994r

You can also consider Z994R. It is a diesel but smaller than Z997R.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    I would agree 2k hours is nothing on a Yanmar diesel. These mowers are designed to go well past that with proper maintenance hence why there is usually grease zerts all over the place. I wouldn't hesitate at all buying a commercial mower at that # of hours but the first thing I would do is go through and change all the fluids and filters and give it a complete service.

Every item I have ever bought used I do this and give the engine/radiator and driveline a real good cleaning with a degreaser. This way I know right away if there is a leak somewhere 1. where it's coming from and 2. how bad it is. Usually a large cost catastrophic failure will give you warning signs before ever occurring. Idea is to catch it in that time frame before big $$ has to be shelled out.
    rtgt likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast