997 PTO randomly shutting off

Thread: 997 PTO randomly shutting off

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-22-2019 @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks

997 PTO randomly shutting off

I have a 2006 997 ZTrak with 2100hrs on it, 72" deck. I've owned it for a year or so and recently started having an issue where the PTO randomly shuts off. Yesterday it was hot (95 degrees), I started mowing and within 15 minutes the engine shut off and the temp light and beeper came on. I turned the key off, restarted and it ran fine for another 10 minutes. Afterwards the PTO then shuts off with the engine reved up, this time no temp light. I idled down restarted the PTO and it ran fine for another 1.5hrs. Yesterday was the first time the engine actually shut off and the light came on but over the last several weeks its randomly shut the PTO down.

Any suggestions on where to start? The engine seems to run fine. I checked the radiator and it didn't appear to be plugged. It has new coolant and I store the machine inside. Its such a random issue I'm having a hard time figuring out where to get started.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Coolant temp sensor would be a good start since it reported overheating. On many machines the PTO will cut out if it thinks it is overheating.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    07-22-2019 @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion on the coolant temp sensor, I ordered one from the dealer and will report back with results.
    Last edited by zilla24; 07-20-2019 at 05:34 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements