• 3 Post By Old Cajun
  • 1 Post By johncanfield

Thread: Mowing performance with my new Z945M

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks

Thumbs up Mowing performance with my new Z945M

In a word, wow. Our road shoulders get mowed once a year by the county (whether it needs it or not ) but thanks to some good rain over the last several months the grass and weeds are really high and a magnet for people to throw trash in. Our road is a dead end to maybe four or five ranches and I hope the beer cans aren't from one of my neighbor's kids.

So I couldn't stand it any longer and mowed both sides of our small one lane road in front of my property and a little past, only took about two hours to mow maybe the mile or so of total frontage (we have about 1/2 mile frontage on the road.)

The picture was taken with me in the seat of the Z - the grass (Johnson Grass maybe?) was about as tall as my head while seated. I went fairly slowly in the really tall grass and the cut quality was quite amazing, there were very few stems left that needed a second mowing.

The road shoulder has some off camber and ditches in spots and I think a standard pneumatic tire instead of my Tweels would have worked better when I was straddling a narrow ditch - I think I was on the edge of the Tweel with not as much traction as a standard turf tire. However I wouldn't trade my Tweels for anything else - the benefits for me far outweigh the very occasional situation where that tire isn't optimum performing.

Other observations:

- I only run the mower a short distance without hearing protection but that Kohler 27HP fuel injected engine is really loud
    - The 60" deck and the engine are a good match, never once did I feel the engine was bogging down even when in the really tall grass
    - Side slope (off camber) stability felt good, I'll slowly work up to what I feel is a safe maximum off camber angle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mowing_road_ROW.jpg  
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Thanks
    For what it is worth the carbureted 27HP Kawasaki in my Z950R is loud as heck as well. A lot louder than the 25HP FI Kawasaki in my X585.

I would imagine the Tweel would have deflection like a regular air tire so I don't know that it matters much. Maybe it digs in more as there isn't a sidewall? Never used them so I can't say.
    BigJim55, johncanfield and DanW like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,011 Posts
    You are sounding like me with the WOW when I first got the 997, still kind of in awe about the speed even after all
    these years.

One thing about the diesel I find it very quiet, the whir of the deck is louder to me.
    BigJim55, johncanfield and DanW like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    For what it is worth the carbureted 27HP Kawasaki in my Z950R is loud as heck as well. A lot louder than the 25HP FI Kawasaki in my X585.

I would imagine the Tweel would have deflection like a regular air tire so I don't know that it matters much. Maybe it digs in more as there isn't a sidewall? Never used them so I can't say.
    Yeah, not sure how the Tweel deflects when straddling a ditch, I would need a camera on the Tweel but its right angle tread edge is way different from a regular turf tire, especially one that's aired down. Just an esoteric discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    You are sounding like me with the WOW when I first got the 997, still kind of in awe about the speed even after all
    these years.

One thing about the diesel I find it very quiet, the whir of the deck is louder to me.
    I absolutely love diesels and would have loved a diesel ZTR but I just can't justify that expense for the 3 or 4 acres I mow a few times a year. We had a 2016 diesel Passat that would get about 55mpg on the highway at 65 mph but we sold it back to VW. I was afraid the "fix" would ruin its fuel economy.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements