Need help....915B ZTR

Thread: Need help....915B ZTR

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-05-2019 @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks

Need help....915B ZTR

Hey folks,
    I have a 2014 John Deere 915B commercial mower with a 60" deck. Just lately the engine has started surging as if it were starving for gas. Took it to a friends small engine shop and first thing that came to mind was a carburetor. So, after that it not only surges, it will shut down when the blades are engaged. Have to kinds baby it along with the choke to engage the blades and keep it going. I took it to my local JD dealer and it was there for three weeks and the only thing they could determine was the vent tube which is incorporated in the fuel tank.... was malfunctioning..... $800.00 !! Yes, it's out of warranty so I will be dealing with this bill out of pocket. I don't know much about working on small engines and the components on these newer models. Just wondered if someone out there may have experienced anything like this and what was finally done to fix it. I have done some testing on my own and feel like the vent tube has nothing to do with the action of the engine..... as far as how it's acting up. Been a great mower. This is my fifth year and only 350 hours on it. Appreciate any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-12-2019 @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    Hey folks,
    I have a 2014 John Deere 915B commercial mower with a 60" deck. Just lately the engine has started surging as if it were starving for gas. Took it to a friends small engine shop and first thing that came to mind was a carburetor. So, after that it not only surges, it will shut down when the blades are engaged. Have to kinds baby it along with the choke to engage the blades and keep it going. I took it to my local JD dealer and it was there for three weeks and the only thing they could determine was the vent tube which is incorporated in the fuel tank.... was malfunctioning..... $800.00 !! Yes, it's out of warranty so I will be dealing with this bill out of pocket. I don't know much about working on small engines and the components on these newer models. Just wondered if someone out there may have experienced anything like this and what was finally done to fix it. I have done some testing on my own and feel like the vent tube has nothing to do with the action of the engine..... as far as how it's acting up. Been a great mower. This is my fifth year and only 350 hours on it. Appreciate any advice.

I feel your pain...on lost money.

I remember long ago when Lee Trevino the legend golfer was asked.." Why is it you don't have a golf instructor". His answer..."Why should I pay someone to tell me how to pay golf, when I'm better than they are".
    That is the case here. Never, Never, and I repeat again...never take a expensive machine such as a John Deere Lawn Tractor back to the dealer for repair. That is unless you own Fort Knox. Don't ask my why...I've been there.

Now, back to your problem. One thing for sure it isn't the spark...are the fuel. There's about 90% that the linkage from the carburetor to the governor is weak and this cause surging or pulsating. It's going to require a person with carburetor experience, and you won't find it at a John Deere dealership. First thing you could do is...remove the rear panel and the air cleaner and get you a can of carburetor cleaner and degreaser and spray the whole area around the carburetor and wash it down. There's probably are lot of grit, dust and whatever there that may prevent the linkage working correctly.

Try the above and report back.

BTW: With that $800.00 you paid John Deere and another $800.00 you could have bought you a new engine and installed it yourself.
    Last edited by kbeaag; 08-07-2019 at 08:26 AM.

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 3,057 Posts
    Appears it may be the same issue I had...

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...2-surging.html
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Thanks
    Normally a vent issue can be tested pretty quickly by opening the gas cap.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements