Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rwmeyer

Thread: 1420 Gremlin has me stumped

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 07:09 PM
    Thanks

1420 Gremlin has me stumped

My 1420 (gas) has been flawless..with the exception of a few coils over the years.
    Now it's really acting strange.
    I start it up and it runs perfectly for 5 minutes or so. Then it disengages the mower 8-10 times over a period of 5 minutes or so. Then for a few minutes the engine will "burble" and sometime a mild backfire...then suddenly it runs perfect for as long as I care to mow.
    And it follows the same pattern everytime I use it. Been doing it all summer...
    I'm at a loss..any thoughts ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    First, I know absolutely nothing about a 1420 (other than Tractor Data says its a diesel!), but I'm familiar with engines in general.

I'd say your problem is fuel related. If electrical, I don't think it would "fix" itself, but only get worse as the engine got warmer. I'd start with fuel supply from the tank. Remove line at fuel pump from tank to pump and drain fuel into clean container. Check container for contaminates and monitor flow from tube/hose...should be steady and constant. If poor flow, check fill cap vent and/or strainer (???) in fuel tank.

As a last resort, rebuild carb. Sorry, that's all I've got! Bob
    Toughsox likes this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    It's a 1420 front mount mower with 3 cylinder gas engine. I've removed the gas tank and thoroughly cleaned it. Replaced the fuel filter.
    Disassembled the carb and cleaned it...Don't think it's fuel related..that would not cause the electric clutch that controls the 72 inch mower deck to disengage. Symptoms described occur in the same fashion over the same timeline.
    20 minutes into the cycle the mower runs perfectly for the rest of the day.
    If I shut it down for 45 minutes the whole cycle repeats itself...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1420fan View Post
    It's a 1420 front mount mower with 3 cylinder gas engine. I've removed the gas tank and thoroughly cleaned it. Replaced the fuel filter.
    Disassembled the carb and cleaned it...Don't think it's fuel related..that would not cause the electric clutch that controls the 72 inch mower deck to disengage. Symptoms described occur in the same fashion over the same timeline.
    20 minutes into the cycle the mower runs perfectly for the rest of the day.
    If I shut it down for 45 minutes the whole cycle repeats itself...
    Just found this one online: try it maybe it helps????
    Check the underside of the unit for caked on grass. Excessive grass under the deck will make the mower sputter. Remove the spark plug using a wrench to prevent the mower from turning on while working underneath. Scrape the grass off using a paint scraper.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    Does your machine have a safety switch in the seat?

When you mentioned the mower turning off and the engine sputtering like itís losing ignition, that makes me think of a seat switch acting up. On my old 316 garden tractor, standing up off the seat while itís in gear will turn off the pto and cut the ignition to the engine. It would explain whatís happening, although I admit itís weird that it would have such a strange repeatable pattern.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I eliminated the seat switch years ago so it's not an issue with the current problem...

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements