John Deere Self-Sharpening Mower Blades????
Like Tree32Likes
  • 4 Post By Gizmo2
  • 1 Post By kbeaag
  • 4 Post By glc
  • 7 Post By Tractor Tim
  • 5 Post By jgayman
  • 4 Post By kbeaag
  • 3 Post By kbeaag
  • 4 Post By Tractor Tim

Thread: John Deere Self-Sharpening Mower Blades????

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks

John Deere Self-Sharpening Mower Blades????

I happen to see a video of Tim the Tractor Time Guy showing the John Deere Self-Sharpening mower blades. At first I thought this was a joke... and it very well may be a joke. I cannot find anywhere where John Deere makes or sells a self-sharpening mower blade. Number two. I don't see how, why, and what way a mower deck blade can sharpening itself. But, I'm willing to learn and believe it when I see it.

Tim the Tractor Time guy always making videos of what he can do to make a few bucks on some of his many John Deere equipment and some make sense.

So, those here that have or use these self-sharpening blades....speak up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,054 Times in 2,999 Posts
    glc, DRobinson, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    A big thank you Gizmo2 for the link. However, that won't benefit me as I have a 54" deck. Will keep look-out in future should they make a self-sharpening blade for 54" decks.
    Toughsox likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:14 PM
    Thanks
    kbeaag put the Gators on your deck! Pretty much the same thing, only Oregon doesn't call them self sharpening blades! I've used them for years on my 316 50" deck and my 2520 62" deck. A lot of people complain about them, but not me!IMHO, they are an awesome mower blade!
    DRobinson, PaDave, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    I happen to see a video of Tim the Tractor Time Guy showing the John Deere Self-Sharpening mower blades. At first I thought this was a joke... and it very well may be a joke. I cannot find anywhere where John Deere makes or sells a self-sharpening mower blade. Number two. I don't see how, why, and what way a mower deck blade can sharpening itself. But, I'm willing to learn and believe it when I see it.

Tim the Tractor Time guy always making videos of what he can do to make a few bucks on some of his many John Deere equipment and some make sense.

So, those here that have or use these self-sharpening blades....speak up.
    I have no idea how well they work...and I stated that in the video. However, I DID explain the technology. From that standpoint, it makes sense.

Also, had no idea this episode would take off like it did. We would have done some things differently in the video had we realized it would get 620,000+ views in such a short period. Oh well!

Tim
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, PaDave and 4 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Tim View Post
    I have no idea how well they work...and I stated that in the video. However, I DID explain the technology. From that standpoint, it makes sense.

Also, had no idea this episode would take off like it did. We would have done some things differently in the video had we realized it would get 620,000+ views in such a short period. Oh well!

Tim
    I'm assuming you've been using them since making the video. Is there nothing to report?
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, Levi and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Tim View Post

Tim
    Tim, I thank you for coming in here and replying to my thread on the self-sharpening blades. First, I apologize if I offending you by my remarks about the few "few bucks' you might make on the videos. I would do the same if it was my choice. Number two, I have spent hours of my idle time watching your videos. They are worthwhile watching and learning about the many John Deere models you have shown.

Question: Are you connected in some way with the Green Parts Store? I have paid many of my retirement dollars to them. They are good to get JD parts.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    kbeaag put the Gators on your deck! Pretty much the same thing, only Oregon doesn't call them self sharpening blades! I've used them for years on my 316 50" deck and my 2520 62" deck. A lot of people complain about them, but not me!IMHO, they are an awesome mower blade!

I have mowed with Gator blades on my '99 JD345. My Z701A has a mulching kit under the mower deck and Gator blades don't or will do poor cutting. I use Mulching blades for this deck and in 5 years I've had the Z710A, I'm on my second set of blades. So these do fine with the mulching blades I get from a person in Seymour, Mo who makes these blades from his own material and they are $42.00 for a set of three.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Toughsox like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeaag View Post
    Tim, I thank you for coming in here and replying to my thread on the self-sharpening blades. First, I apologize if I offending you by my remarks about the few "few bucks' you might make on the videos. I would do the same if it was my choice. Number two, I have spent hours of my idle time watching your videos. They are worthwhile watching and learning about the many John Deere models you have shown.

Question: Are you connected in some way with the Green Parts Store? I have paid many of my retirement dollars to them. They are good to get JD parts.
    No offense taken. Appreciate you watching. We try to keep the episodes entertaining and interesting.
    It isn’t easy to come up with 3 episodes per week which are relevant, and interesting.

Yes, we have a relationship with greenpartstore.com
    Use code TTWT to get free shipping (and we get a small commission).

Tim
    Levi, Jeff R., BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements