Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tareece

Thread: Break in

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks

Break in

When I got my new Z915E it came with a disc that I just watched yesterday after being down for my third retina surgery this year and it suggested an 8 hour break in oil change but the manual says 100 hour first oil change. As a tech for 30 years I change my oil every year if less than miles/hours mentioned and more often if I exceed the hours or time. What are other thoughts on this? I know with automotive manufactures they have the process down so good that breakin isn't the same as it was 30 or so years ago.

Regards,

Max
    Id est, quo id est.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    This has been discussed before in various forum sections. For probably what is FOREVER, all the JD manuals for gas-engine machines listed an initial break-in oil change as did the OEM manual (I think Kohler in this case).

Then, magically a couple years ago the break-in oil change started to disappear from many of the owners manuals. Same engine but suddenly no initial low-hour oil change.

In many cases, Kawasaki for example, they still list the 10-hour initial oil/filter change in the OEM service manual. In fact, I think every small engine manual I own all lists an initial break-in oil change. I'm not sure what JD is up to with some of the recent manual revisions but... all I do know is that I still do an 8-10 hr initial engine oil/filter change on everything with a small engine.

My X500 manual listed a 10-hr initial oil change and 100 hours after that. I change my oil/filter every 25 hours. That amounts to twice a year which when it comes to small air cooled engines is not excessive. :-)
    Last edited by jgayman; 10-30-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response. I know all forums have search engines but thought it best to ask to see if there were more members and more current information. Since I have to lay or sit face down for days to try to keep my Retina in place I just made the call to Kohler to ask them. They explained they have never had an 8 hour break in oil change and that they believed that was for different engines that John Deere used such as the Kawasaki. At one time they used a 20 hour recommendation but with better process, quality in manufacturing, material and oil they find it is no longer required or recommended. As stated I am still an ASE certified master even though I have been in management for the last 15 years and watched engines change dramatically over the course of my life. In the end it is a moot point I guess as I won't have 20 hours on it before the end of the season and already have supplies for it's first oil change which I do every winter on all the engines I have no matter the hours as fuel making it past the rings is the great killer of oil lubrication properties. I averaged on my Z445 about 40-50 hours a year all the years I had it so I guess the once a year should work fine for me in the future and believe the mower will probably out last me.

Regards,
    Id est, quo id est.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 12:05 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 5 series and did mine at 14 hours after reading a similar pot on this site. My Z has worked hard this year and im loving it.
    Logictox likes this.
    2018 1025R TLB
    54" MMM
    HF Quick Attach
    Titan 42" Forks w/Headache rack
    2019 Z525e Mower

God Gives You this Life--- Live it!

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements