• 3 Post By Jer
  • 1 Post By Pike

Thread: On Demand Mulcher and Tweel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-10-2017 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks

On Demand Mulcher and Tweel

Anybody have any comments (good or bad) regarding the on demand mulch option or the new Tweels?

Thanks,

Rajuncajun
    Old Cajun and duramaxdeere like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,887 Times in 2,864 Posts
    I don't think I've ever read anything good about the MOD decks.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Thanks

On Demand Mulcher and Tweel

I honestly don't think I've seen anything, good or bad, on the MOD decks. Available on the higher end Ztrak mowers and believe it or not, the X700 series. Guy I work with bought a X758 last fall and the dealer asked him if he wanted the MOD option. It's an electric actuated option that closes the discharge chute and unfolds baffles under the deck, turning it into a mulcher. He said no, dealer said wise choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi, BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-16-2017 @ 04:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajuncajun View Post
    Anybody have any comments (good or bad) regarding the on demand mulch option or the new Tweels?

Thanks,

Rajuncajun
    I'm in the same boat I searched for peoples experience and opinions of the tweels for months and couldn't find anything more than john deere videos and a few dealers that made a sales pitch video. I ordered a 950r with tweels and when it shows up even if there is no grass to cut I will post as much info as I can learn about it on here. As far as the MOD decks I hate them lol. I'm having to use A loaner mower now why'l waiting to get warranty work done on my z970r (engine problems) but on my z970r I have the side discharge and there is no comparions in the 2 decks! The MOD just cuts so terrible! If the grass is not thin It will leave clumps and spit out the grass instead of beautifully spreading the grass in a nice wide spread like my side discharge. I loved the idea of closing the deck on the MOD and not trowing grass on things but the simple fact still remains that John Deere needs to take the mod deck back to the drawing board!
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 940 Posts
    Didn't get the MOD on the 72" 7 Iron deck for the 997 because it adds places to stack up and trap grass underneath.

The 7 Iron stays surprisingly clean I have found, usually a shot of air from the compressor will clean it up
    pretty good right after mowing.
    Made a long reach wand specifically for that, takes about 5 minutes to do a decent job, don't like using
    water unless absolutely necessary.
    The salesman, who has one of his own, said he would never put a mulch kit on his and also tries to
    avoid washing under the deck too much, especially with a pressure washer even though Deere recommends
    a pressure washing once a month.

As far as the "tweels", have no experience with them, rubber and air are good enough for me.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-22-2019 @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    I run my 997 on horrific terrain filled with locust trees. If I could get a tweel for it, I would in a second. 24" max right now (from JD). I'm trying to figure out if I can find a skid steer version and make it work (otherwise I'm going to foam my tires). Guys that run them on skid steers love them; no flats. But they're expensive. My dealer quoted $400/ea before he realized they wouldn't fit the 997. He thought it was the weight but actually it was the diameter.
    2016 5085E
    2014 318e
    2009 997
    1958 Fordson Dexta

9. The Following User Says Thank You to addy For This Useful Post:

Jer (03-07-2017)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:16 PM
    Thanks
    We used a MOD deck at work and it was ok, everything has to be perfect for it to work right. Which is hard because when we mow in the mornings it clumped up and left a mess. The tweels were good for the ride, not worth the extra money to me, but the biggest problem was if you buy a machine and put a bagger on it, Deere will not warranty the wheel motors since it takes a lot to turn the tweels. We were shocked when the dealer told us this, and since we bag most of what we mow decided we don't need them.

Adam
    Gizmo2 and duramaxdeere like this.
    2019 2025R, H120 Loader, 260b Backhoe, 47 QH Snow BLower, EL23 Kuhn Tiller, I-match, Heavy Hitch and misc. attachments

2016 X758, 54" HC mower, Quick Hitch, 60" blade, 3 pt hitch

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-24-2017 @ 03:48 PM
    Thanks
    Just got a Z930M last week with tweels and mulch kit. Everything I heard online and from dealers was to avoid the MOD and if you were solely looking to mulch all the time like I was, the mulch kit was cheaper and had better things said about it. First cut was great despite semi wet grass that was shin to knee high in spots. Love the mulch kit compared to the side shoot mess I dealt with on a previous mower as the yard just looks pristine. The tweels were a purchase for me as I have bodark, honey locust trees and very old metal/random nails always washing up in several places. Last mower had 4-6 flats a year so I'm hoping this solves that and constant air pressure issues I've had in the past. Tweels seemed to make the ride less harsh on the backside but the solid wheels on the front makes the front feel like it is taking more impact or just more noticeable now. I'm curious to see how these hold up long term since doesn't seem like many people go for them.
    Gizmo2, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #9
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Not had tweels, but had MOD some 2012 on my 925efi. I almost never used it. All of the linkages created more places for clippings and dust to collect. If you need to blow the clippings away from a house or parked car, do a 180 and drive the other way. My opinion is either get a side d/c or a rear d/c.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi, BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    04-24-2017 @ 03:48 PM
    Thanks
    Good and bad update on the tweels.

Bad:
    - Seems to uproot grass easier than the normal tires when it is still slightly wet out on turns. Half my fault, but still noticed a difference.

Good:
    - Traction around very wet septic sprayers was better than normal tires. Still slid but didn't come close to losing control or getting stuck.
    - Found 7" of barbwire stuck in one tweel and 2 nails in the other so they might slowly pay for themselves in repairs and anguish. Pulled right out and can't tell anything happened.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pike For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (03-09-2017), Grizzler (07-07-2017)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements