Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade, 64 massy 165
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to fire up my 3720 today and the tach did its normal full sweep but only part way returned. The tip of the needle appears to be contacting the face of the tach at the top. Looks like the face top has warped outward.
Has anyone ever had this happen?
Can the cluster be opened?
If I have to replace it is it just a swap out? Or will it need programing?

·
Administrator
22,955 Posts
Are you SURE the battery is in good shape?

Sorry can't answer about a repair or replacement.

Reactions: Dave in DE

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kenny,
Yes, battery is new. Dealer installed the day I bought tractor. We went out to start it after they serviced and battery was dead. So salesman called service to bring out a battery.
Tach has been ok, but Temps have been 60's/70's. Today Temps in low 40's. It appears by looking from side needle is dragging on face at top.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To add to this if you watch from the side you can see needle is not moving on the same plane as the face. The need tip has plenty of clearance at 9 and 3 o'clock. But at 12 the tip is on the face. Or at least appears to. 🤔.

·
Registered
82 Posts
From the service manual (I have a 3520), the instrument cluster seems to be one piece. Oddly, I was about to post a question on the instrument cluster tachometer myself. Mine is sticking at approx 1000rpm (I don't remember if it goes all the way on start), the 325C wire seems to be intact and ground speed is working, which leads me to believe it is the tachometer itself...the cluster is approximately $600 just for the cluster, so unless I can figure something else out, I am thinking that I will use a paint stick to draw a line on the throttle control until something else goes out.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up. Went down to hunting property to bring tractor home. Temps were back up in the high 60's. Tach was fine today. The morning I had issues we were in the 30's. I'm thinking this is a temp related problem. Face must be warping when the Temps get real low.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Went to fire up my 3720 today and the tach did its normal full sweep but only part way returned. The tip of the needle appears to be contacting the face of the tach at the top. Looks like the face top has warped outward.
Has anyone ever had this happen?
Can the cluster be opened?
If I have to replace it is it just a swap out? Or will it need programing?
I can only help with the last question. After replacement It definitely needs to be setup by the dealer for it to communicate with the other computer modules.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can only help with the last question. After replacement It definitely needs to be setup by the dealer for it to communicate with the other computer modules.
Thanks, that's kind of what I was afraid of.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Update:
For future reference, the face of the instrument cluster has come loose from the cluster itself. The top edge is curling out so the tach needle hits at the top. Today I took the instrument panel out and took a BIG chance and carefully removed the glass face cover.(See pics) After I carefully washed it to get years of dirt off outside edge. Keeping back dry due to it being open with wires now disconnected. I used a single edge razor to cut the rubber adhesive holding the glass. Going around several times to be sure as much as possible was cut through. Easing upward as I cut and eventually the glass was off. I cleaned the edge of panel and glass completely of old adhesive. I pushed the face back down and it stuck. To secure it in place I put 4 beads of blk silicone so it can't curl up again. Tomorrow I'll hold the the glass in place and glue it back on with 3m windshield adhesive. Once that sets it should be as good as new. I could replace for $700+ and did find programing procedures in service manual for replacing with new. Figured to try fixing first.
Computer keyboard Input device Peripheral Gauge Measuring instrument

Glass removed
Computer keyboard Black Peripheral Input device Office equipment

Notice top and bottom of face warped upward.
Gauge Measuring instrument Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

Notice 4 beads blk silicone top and bottom of face.

·
Administrator
22,955 Posts
Nice job! (y)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While I had the instrument cluster and all cowling removed I decided to do some major clean up work before closing things up. Got the instrument cluster back together. it's looking good. Also adding a headlight power wire to go up the ROPs. This way I'll have my light bar on with the flasher and headlights as opposed to only with rear work lights. Pics of before and after clean up and instrument cluster.
Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle

Before
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Green Hood

After
Writing implement Liquid Publication Office equipment Font

·
Administrator
22,955 Posts
That's a 1/2 yard of dirt in there!

• Love

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I'll bet mine is even worse. :( Looks great now!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a 1/2 yard of dirt in there!
Not sure what the original owner of this tractor did with it. But my God yes. A ton of ballast just got washed out.
I don't think they used the loader much as the original paint is still on the loader sides. So that leaves mowing. Must have been mowing dirt.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it all back together this morning. Fired it up all is well, except I have 4 error codes 61,63,65,67. All having to do with flasher and taillight bulbs not working. Although all are fine. I did change those bulbs to LED for a brighter bulb output. Wondering if there not compatible for computer? 🤔.
Any thoughts?
How do I answer and clear codes?

·
Administrator
22,955 Posts
The 'puter uses the "load" or resistance of the incandescent bulbs to see if they are good, so when you change them to LED's you have to put resistors in to add the load back to the circuit.

Just an example of what you may need:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you confirms what I suspected. Old bulbs back and issue is gone.
Won't bother with resistors. Will find the brightest replacements available.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally, my fall catch up work on my 3720 is done. Dash all back, front axle seals/brgs, added light bar and work lights, added muds customs front tie downs, changed oil/filter, new front sneekers, buffed the hood out, and Finally a coat of ceramic sealer. The hood had gotten quite gray on top due to getting to much sun this summer.
Oh, and put loader back on. Easy peasy!
Will buff up fenders and repaint exhaust later.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Sky Tractor Vehicle

·
Administrator
22,955 Posts
@Dave in DE , you're not THAT far away from me if you want to clean up mine too....just sayin' 😂

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.