Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
The other day this message popped up in the odometer display. I've googled the message, and it's not clear what the culprit is, it appears that some report that with this message the truck goes into the "limp mode", but mine does not. Before contacting someone for repair, I was curious if anyone here has experienced this and what some possible causes could be.

Registered
The other day this message popped up in the odometer display. I've googled the message, and it's not clear what the culprit is, it appears that some report that with this message the truck goes into the "limp mode", but mine does not. Before contacting someone for repair, I was curious if anyone here has experienced this and what some possible causes could be.
56Nine: I put almost 50,000 miles on my 2009 Silverado, but never saw the service light come on. Isn't it possible to turn it off if you want? That might be one way to check. If the light doesn't come back on after cycling the switch, I wouldn't worry about it. However, I am not a GM technician. I would be interested to know what you find out though.
Thanks,
Don

Premium Member
It could be multiple things, a single wheel speed sensor failure, steering position sensor, etc. You almost have to have the system read for stored codes.
Only easy thing to try is disconnect the battery and see if on reconnect the ode is cleared and the service stabilitrack light off.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
It could be multiple things, a single wheel speed sensor failure, steering position sensor, etc. You almost have to have the system read for stored codes.
Only easy thing to try is disconnect the battery and see if on reconnect the ode is cleared and the service stabilitrack light off.
That's a good idea, I'll head to O'Reilly's to get the free code read...to see what they say. I'll report back.

Reactions: BigJim55

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
56Nine: I put almost 50,000 miles on my 2009 Silverado, but never saw the service light come on. Isn't it possible to turn it off if you want? That might be one way to check. If the light doesn't come back on after cycling the switch, I wouldn't worry about it. However, I am not a GM technician. I would be interested to know what you find out though.
Thanks,
Don
Wow, that's not hardly broken in! I have 142K. Overall I am not a fan of the stabilitrack. My understanding is it can be turned off, but generally I like to have things work as they are supposed to, not a fan of yellow dash lights. It seems to reset when I start/stop the truck and this morning it came on about 8 miles down the road. When I find out what's going on, I will report back.

Reactions: BigJim55

Premium Member
That's a good idea, I'll head to O'Reilly's to get the free code read...to see what they say. I'll report back.
I do not think O'Reilly's will be able to pull/read the code(s) Unless they are ABS related and they have an ABS code reader. . You might need to go to GM dealer. Expect to pay for this to be done :flag_of_truce:if a GM dealer has to do it

Wow, that's not hardly broken in! I have 142K. Overall I am not a fan of the stabilitrack. My understanding is it can be turned off, but generally I like to have things work as they are supposed to, not a fan of yellow dash lights. It seems to reset when I start/stop the truck and this morning it came on about 8 miles down the road. When I find out what's going on, I will report back.
It sounds like a sensor. Computer does a system check and it takes that 8miles, time wise, for it complete all checks and turn on the service light.

Reactions: tj1 and BigJim55

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
I do not think O'Reilly's will be able to pull/read the code(s) Unless they are ABS related and they have an ABS code reader. . You might need to go to GM dealer. Expect to pay for this to be done :flag_of_truce:if a GM dealer has to do it
Good to know, I thought a code was "a code".... cheap mode kick'n in.

Registered
I got a 2006 chevy Silverado and when I had trouble with the ABS wheel sensor, I remember that my check engine light came on. took it to garage to find out what was wrong, and I believe it then spit out the code for the left front wheel bearing was bad. I don't remember seeing anything about what ur's is saying--sorry about that. big jim

Reactions: 56Nine

Premium Member
I do not think O'Reilly's will be able to pull/read the code(s) Unless they are ABS related and they have an ABS code reader. . You might need to go to GM dealer. Expect to pay for this to be done :flag_of_truce:if a GM dealer has to do itIt sounds like a sensor. Computer does a system check and it takes that 8miles, time wise, for it complete all checks and turn on the service light.
You are correct, you would need an ABS code reader to do that. The OBD11 readers only check codes that are engine related or smog stuff, (maybe some tranny issues too).. My wife had a 4X4 09 Silverado off road vehicle and she always had check engine lights, and brake malfunction issues. A brake sensor was an issue with her stabilitrack light. Last year I Had my Hummer H2 all of a sudden light up the stabilitrack malfunction and after driving a few miles it went out. I think my brakes caused the issue because I slid on some snow coming to a stop and the light came on after the pulsing stopped. Cost me nothing! GM dealer will charge you for the read, maybe head to a garage you know will not screw around with you and tell you your vehicle needs this and that.. The wife got a recall about the ABS system and the very next week her ABS went out after the dealer "looked" at it, and deemed it good, $1500 to fix it I don't think so, they did something to make that happen so our garage guy disconnected the ABS by pulling a wire. She never had an issue with her brakes or the malfunction light after that.. Still waiting to see how the class action law suit ends up with the dealership that no longer exists!

Reactions: BigJim55 and 56Nine

Registered
I have a 1997 Silverado that only has 36,000 miles on it since I bought it new. Never could justify getting a newer one on the cost differential, so I put aftermarket disc brakes on the rear of mine and installed lower gears in both axles for better towing, since I just use it to haul my trailers occasionally. Almost never get the ABS to come on anymore -- but can't remember the last time I had the steel shell off and the bed empty either. It has been a pretty reliable truck, other than needing a fuel pump replaced. Newer ones are more complex and feature rich which can lead to added expense and as noted some shady dealership/shop tactics.

Chuck

Registered
I agree. It had something over 30,000 on it when I bought it and nearly 80,000 when I traded it. I traded it for a 2012 because the rear fender wells were rusting. Now, I can wait for an additional three years to deal with the rust. :dunno:

Reactions: BigJim55 and 56Nine

Registered
The Stabilitrak system incorporates the ABS, stability and powertrain systems on your truck when a component fails in any one of those systems the ABS module disables the system and sends a message to the IP to turn on the "service stabilitrak" message. With that being said the most common failure in your case is the steering wheel angle sensor which is part of the stability system and is mounted at the base of the steering column which will set a trouble code C0455 or c0710 in the abs module.

Registered
Stabilitrac gets inputs from all over all of the time. I've had a few stabilitrac warnings in 200k on my 07 Avy. Bad throttle body, Dirty throttle body, vacuum leak on pcv line, bad front wheel bearing, and a bad brake light switch. None of them were diagnosed by a forum or just guessing at the problem. All of them needed diagnosis from the gm only Tech2 scanner. Just pay the 90 for the dealer to diagnose and quote, then decide if you want to tackle it or not. Either way , it beats the hell out of blown out Triton spark plugs, burnt out glow plugs and pumps on the diesels, or new truck payments.

Premium Member
Sometimes the wheel bearings start to go in the front hubs and that throws the sensor out of wack. At around that many miles seems to be when these gremilns start popping up. I have a 2009 HHR I bought used and after about a year and 10k miles I got the ABS light and Stability lights on. When I got it the rear passenger wheel had some damage to the chrome cladding and sure enough GM found that wheel speed sensor was faulty. It's part of the wheel bearing assembly so it had to be replaced. My cheap scanner would say some code that really didn't point me in a direction that was useful. GM's fancy scanner said the exact location of the fault. I sure wish they'd open that software up so people at home could self diag stuff. I just have a $20 EBAY bluetooth OBDII scanner. Pretty cool for what it does. I sync it to my Smartphone and it does give me some real time engine data.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for the assistance, and I have another piece of data: On the way home last night, the idiot display started notifying the right front AND rear tires were low (29 and 27# respectively) When I got into the garage, I immediately topped the tires to 32# all the way around, and verified this morning the pressure held ruling out a leak. The odd thing is the tires are supposed to have nitrogen and not have sensitivity to pressure changes.

I can't help but wonder if the threshold to deactivate the stabili-track is more narrow than the notification of the the TPMS(?).

On the way to work this morning the idiot display regarding the stabili-track didn't flash. And while that's one measure, I believe I'll take the advice given here and have the code revealed, or at least consult with the dealer service to confirm.
Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond, I like and appreciate the sharing of information when chasing stuff like this.:good2:

Premium Member
Thanks to everyone for the assistance, and I have another piece of data: On the way home last night, the idiot display started notifying the right front AND rear tires were low (29 and 27# respectively) When I got into the garage, I immediately topped the tires to 32# all the way around, and verified this morning the pressure held ruling out a leak. The odd thing is the tires are supposed to have nitrogen and not have sensitivity to pressure changes.

I can't help but wonder if the threshold to deactivate the stabili-track is more narrow than the notification of the the TPMS(?).

On the way to work this morning the idiot display regarding the stabili-track didn't flash. And while that's one measure, I believe I'll take the advice given here and have the code revealed, or at least consult with the dealer service to confirm.
Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond, I like and appreciate the sharing of information when chasing stuff like this.:good2:
The low tires might have enough difference in rotational speed to set the stabilitrack light. I would "wait and see" before paying the dealer to look for codes that might be gone. :gizmo:

Reactions: 636mullet and tj1

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #18
Well that WAS too good to be true.

This morning before heading out for Christmas travel, on the way to the dealership to get the tires rotated and the idiot light/service stabilitrack message showed up. The appointment for reading the error codes is Wednesday morning, the initial read fee is $80. More to come, unfortunately.

Reactions: DRobinson
1 - 18 of 18 Posts