Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have plenty of trailer balls, and plenty of 2" trailer hitches for vehicles. What I don't have is a versatile 1-1/4" hitch for my x739.
It won't get much use aside from moving the garden trailers and my aluminum ATV trailers.
The hitch I have now is 1-1/4" set-up with a 2" ball. Then I got a nice little Deere 22 Utility Trailer with a 1-7/8 coupler. This forces me to change the ball for dual purpose.
What I want to find (make if I have too..but I know what I seek is out there somewhere) is a 2" (threaded female) to 1-7/8" (threaded male) 3/4" shaft set of trailer balls. So I can "flip" the hitch.
I know I can buy another hitch and just have one for each ball size, but I don't want the extra steps to have to walk and get the other hitch in the time of need.

So, does anyone know where I can get a trailer ball configuration like what I'm wanting?
I appreciate any help!
Worse case, I'll cut the posts from one of each size and weld them onto a hitch and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Two concepts come to mind,,

1) Change all the towed devices to 1 7/8" and thereby eliminate the need for 2",,

2) Whether you end up with one ball,, or two, incorporate a plate with a hole, so that you can tow pinned hitch trailers,,
kinda like this,,,

·
Registered
145 Posts
All my trailers have 2" couplers but I specifically use a 1-7/8" ball on my tractor and atv to tow them. This allows the coupler to latch real easily for "around the property" towing.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All my trailers have 2" couplers but I specifically use a 1-7/8" ball on my tractor and atv to tow them. This allows the coupler to latch real easily for "around the property" towing.
I considered doing this. I may just do it and be done with tolerance equation. The use is only on the property.
Good reply!! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
12,158 Posts
Why not simply install a 2" receiver on the tractor and then you can insert a multi-ball drawbar or one with a ball, hook and tab.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not simply install a 2" receiver on the tractor and then you can insert a multi-ball drawbar or one with a ball, hook and tab.
My reasoning comes from the fact the front receiver is 1-1/4". I don't want a different size hitch in the mix. I'll use my truck if that much weight needs to be pulled.

·
Premium Member
12,158 Posts
My reasoning comes from the fact the front receiver is 1-1/4". I don't want a different size hitch in the mix. I'll use my truck if that much weight needs to be pulled.
Weight wasn't a factor for me. I have a 2" receiver on everything because 2" accessories are much more readily available.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Weight wasn't a factor for me. I have a 2" receiver on everything because 2" accessories are much more readily available.
And I agree with that. I just want to stay the lighter weight as designed is all. Just trying to keep it simple-er....even though my own designing is the hurdle. LOL!

·
Premium Member
12,158 Posts
And I agree with that. I just want to stay the lighter weight as designed is all. Just trying to keep it simple-er....even though my own designing is the hurdle. LOL!
I think you were on to something with one of your previous statements. If you can weld or have access to a welder I would simply get a piece of 1 1/4 square stock and weld on the attachments that you need.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think you were on to something with one of your previous statements. If you can weld or have access to a welder I would simply get a piece of 1 1/4 square stock and weld on the attachments that you need.
Yep, I may very well do that. I stopped at Tractor Supply today, in hopes of finding each tow ball in the sizes I want, the type a bolt threads in from the bottom into the ball. If I can find that type I can use a short piece of 3/4" or 7/8" (depending on the ball size) all-thread to thread in...then loctite it to one so it stays. TS had nothing I could use in that category. I also looked at their tires in hopes of finding a pair for my JD22 Utility Trailer. They didn't have any of those either.

For the time being I'm not getting excited. I got too many projects going at once. I just picked up the 2nd half for my "satellite dish" bird seed feeder, and a few pieces of stainless to finish off my fire pit grill so the hotdogs don't roll off into the fire.

I'll plug away at things and eventually get to the hitch :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I have the dual ball with hook one. I got it so I could grab brush and cargo blankets with leaves in them. It also let me keep my bagger on when I attach my cart. I just can't make tight turns otherwise the bagger hits the cart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts