Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little back story. My grandpa was a toy tractor collector. He had thousands or tractors, and converted a small barn (20x20) into his personal museum. He mainly collected 1/16, but also had trucks, planes, 1/64, and other "stuff". He was even featured in a couple toy magazines. When he passed, his collection was dispersed to his kids and that's that. Why I say this, is when I was young, he used to take my brother and I with him to the toy tractor shows. I remember him giving us $20 or $40 and just letting us go buy something. This was a LOT of money for us back then! If we had money on the way home, he would ask for it back, however there never was. Most of the toys were eventually played with, and eventually handed down to my kids, however, these are the ones I kept for display, which loosely represents the farm as I was growing up on. I constructed the shelf from partial scrap wood and painted it. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very cool. It’s nice to see you have those items and good memories to go with them. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
ive been thinking of doing something similar with my childhood small tractors and some of the larger metal ones. They just don't make them like they used to. Every thing I see from ERTL now is plastic and it makes me sad.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Great Looking collection

I always collected 1:16 scale Myself. Still do occasionally

My Younger Brother Played with My collection for His 3& 1/2inch GI Joe Figures Because the figures fit right behind the wheel :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Very cool. I still have mine as well and pass them down to my son.
Currently he gets to play with the 1/16th stuff. As he gets older, we'll transition to the 1/64 scale.

ive been thinking of doing something similar with my childhood small tractors and some of the larger metal ones. They just don't make them like they used to. Every thing I see from ERTL now is plastic and it makes me sad.
They do still make a cast series, either called "collector" or "classic" series, I can't recall. They are big money however. Last one I saw was $180 for a MFWD single rear wheel 4455. :gizmo:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of those toy tractors are so expensive. I believe we have passed the glory days of toy tractors. Not as many kids buying and playing with toy tractors these days, especially the 1/16 scale. 1:16 gets really big in multiples. Seems like most kids are playing with the new 1:32 or 1:64 scale toys IF they are playing with tractors at all. Come to think of it, I find the toy tractor business very confusing now-a-days. Some are plastic, some aren't. They have collector's grade(s) and also Prestige. Some are made by TOMY, some by Ertl, and some of the tractors are model-less. :dunno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts