Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys think a 1 series could pull this? Would be nice to have if it could, but a little pricy at $895

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Yes, a 1 Series can pull that no issue. We pull a 2 row JD 70 with out 4110 and its only 19hp.

That is a bit pricey for a one row, but it does have some nice features on it. We paid about that for a nice 2 row.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, a one-series could handle that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You guys think a 1 series could pull this? Would be nice to have if it could, but a little pricy at $895
Hey Kabic - check this web site out, rodsfoodplotplanters. This guy buys older multi-row planters (JD 71 etc.,), breaks them down in to one and two row planters and reconditions them. For his one row planter he wants $500 plus $120 for shipping. Still cheaper than $895. I called him and talked to him, I think he gives you three plates with the planter, corn, beans and sunflower.

It wouldn't hurt to check him out.

Rick

Reactions: Scotty370

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a single row JD 7000 planter for deer plots and I cant find any info or manuals online for specifications or adjustments; unlike the 2 row planter which has quite a lot of info on the web. The two row planters have separate gears to adjust to distance between seed spacing. The one row does not appear to have this option. Is there a way to adjust this and if not, what is the standard seed spacing I can expect.
Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
The one In the photo above looks like mine. It was made in Minnesota and it is set for 30,000 seeds per acre based on 30” rows. Seed spacing is 6.97”. Mine has some extras from what they supplied but what they build works fine. I have no problem pulling this with my 400 garden tractor. In fact I planted 20 acres with it,1 row every 12 because somebody didn’t realize a seed tube was plugged. There are lots of rows and it would not have mattered except for the fact it was right in front of his house.

Go to precision planting’s website. They have videos that will go through everything about planting and settings.

A word of caution on the two rows. Unless you have a larger wider tractor you will be planting the tire tracks.

C6C53CCB-6693-4291-9F8F-545BA7E9F6AE.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Herminator! Mine is a refeburbished and I am noticing that they used smaller wheels than what is on yours. Unless they changed sprockets I would assume it will through seeds quicker since the wheel will make its revolution faster. I think you put me in the ballpark though. I guess I will have to wait until my trial run to know the spacing for sure. One more question if you dont mind. I see that you have the fertilizer box. Would you be able to tell me how the scale bars on the back equate to the amount of fertilization per acre? I am assuming each number equals a certain amount of distribution per acre but can find anything telling me what that is. Thanks again!

PS: Pulling this with a JD 4400. Not a big tractor but I really like it.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I don’t know what the different settings mean. They rear box’s are for insecticide and herbacide if it is a double type. There are also ones that are not split. I use them a bit different. On one side I do run insecticide this drops through a tube to a diffuser that puts in the open furrow. That one I run at 14 which I just reverse calculated from the usage per foot. On the other side I run 13-13-13 and it drops to a rubber boot that puts it on after the closing wheels. That I run at 45 or wide open.

If you set it at basically 0-1/4 deep and run a strip in your lawn the grass holds the seed in place quite well for checking spacing. It still will not be as even as when you’re planting and see how far apart the plants pop up.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for all the great info really appreciated. Might I ask what type/brand of insecticide you are using? Heck, by the time I get this deer plot planted I might have to sell all my guns to pay for it. :)

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I am using Lorsban 15G which is sold unrestricted I believe. If you’re doing corn in your plot that has been treated or is a triple trait it is not required.

You are correct on the cost. It all adds up.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used my planter this weekend and found that the folks who refurbished it did not appear to use the correct tires and drive shaft. The tires are 10 inch tires and only give about a 1" clearance between the bottom of the tire and the bottom of the frame. Thus the frame keeps digging into the dirt and the tires stop spinning. It seems to me from pictures, and common sense, that the tires should be larger in diameter.The tires are also not "nobby" so stones are not their friend either. Also did not help that the axle and sprockets were not keyed so the sprocket slipped. I intend on fixing all of this but wondering if anybody could provide the proper tire diameter for this planter.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
They are a Carlisle 13 x 5 x 6NHS with a R1 tread.

The outside posts sit 3-1/2" above the dirt with these.
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg

Reactions: DRobinson
1 - 14 of 14 Posts