Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like every other 1-series owner, when I first got my 54D mower, I missed the center roller on the mower deck. Of course, the good folks here at GTT had already been there, and many had solved it. So, I followed the lead of others and created my own center roller solution.

I finally got around to painting it this weekend, so we decided it would be a good time to put together a video showing how we made it so that others could do the same.
It isn't much work, and it doesn't cost much at all.

My approach allows the roller to be released so that the auto-connect deck can be put firmly on the ground in the "install" position. I typically don't use this feature, but I THOUGHT I would when I added it.

The solution isn't perfect. I made a mistake, attempting to position one of the bolts in a way which didn't work. So, I had to drill an extra hole. Oh well, no harm done.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy. The link to the roller I used is in the description.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Great idea. I just had my deck off to install my mulching kit and I was looking at installing a roller like my 318 and 430 had. Both of those decks seem to cut better than this new deck.

Reactions: Tractor Tim

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I'm one of your you tube viewers and had already seen it there. I like it a lot. Might have to try that on my 60D...
:greentractorride:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Tim, Thanks for the video & details. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
517 Posts
great job.. the lack of an center roller is one of the reasons I switched from a MMM to a rear finish mower.. With my 54D I used to get some nasty gouges in some area's of my yard..

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,283 Posts
You know Christy makes you look good, right?! :laugh:

Reactions: TJR345 and Kennyd

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know Christy makes you look good, right?! :laugh:
Of course! Why do you think I chose to put her in the 'thumbnail'?

I'm thankful that she is willing to spend time with me.

Tim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very interesting. May need to do this mod some day if I ever get too fed up with scalping.
Good work and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
80 Posts
JD Auto Connect Anti Scalp Modification

Of course! Why do you think I chose to put her in the 'thumbnail'?

I'm thankful that she is willing to spend time with me.

Tim
Tim,

It's obvious Christy is your soul mate, you work great together.

Thanks for the "fix" you invented for auto connect decks. I took delivery of a new 1025R in early Nov. and already found the problem of scalping in my front yard on the only slightly uneven area of 2 acres. Very sad development and poor engineering for the price point they ask.

I ordered the Stens roller yesterday and will work on the project this winter while the deck is removed for winter storage and the front blade in installed for snow removal. I did wonder if you considered trying to spring load the roller apparatus to allow movement when removing the deck so the weight of the tractor on top of the deck depressed a spring loaded assembly allowing it to be placed lower as you discussed in the video without having to remove the roller? I don't know if there is room to do this but thought of it while viewing your you tube presentation. Great job on that by the way. It is very helpful. I realized there was a problem but had not gone through the process of thinking it through like you did.

I enjoy your entire compendium of videos and suggestions for the 1 series operation. Glad you enjoy doing this as it is a service to the rest of us out here in JD Series 1 land, new owners who don't have your background or experience.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Day and tell Christy Hi from all of us fans here in You Tube land. :hi: :greentractorride: :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim,

It's obvious Christy is your soul mate, you work great together.

Thanks for the "fix" you invented for auto connect decks. I took delivery of a new 1025R in early Nov. and already found the problem of scalping in my front yard on the only slightly uneven area of 2 acres. Very sad development and poor engineering for the price point they ask.

I ordered the Stens roller yesterday and will work on the project this winter while the deck is removed for winter storage and the front blade in installed for snow removal. I did wonder if you considered trying to spring load the roller apparatus to allow movement when removing the deck so the weight of the tractor on top of the deck depressed a spring loaded assembly allowing it to be placed lower as you discussed in the video without having to remove the roller? I don't know if there is room to do this but thought of it while viewing your you tube presentation. Great job on that by the way. It is very helpful. I realized there was a problem but had not gone through the process of thinking it through like you did.

I enjoy your entire compendium of videos and suggestions for the 1 series operation. Glad you enjoy doing this as it is a service to the rest of us out here in JD Series 1 land, new owners who don't have your background or experience.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Day and tell Christy Hi from all of us fans here in You Tube land. :hi: :greentractorride: :bigthumb:
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

We REALLY appreciate your comments. We are very thankful for our family, and for the relatively new friends we've made here and on youtube.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Tim, great video and solution! I just ordered my 1025 with a 54D and will be implementing a variation of this. I am going to work on creating a frame for the roller and try to figure out how to use a gas sprung shock to allow the roller to collapse when the deck is down for installation or removal but provide enough force to help prevent scalping when mowing. It should be a fun project. ?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Reactions: joshn3448

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Tim, great video and solution! I just ordered my 1025 with a 54D and will be implementing a variation of this. I am going to work on creating a frame for the roller and try to figure out how to use a gas sprung shock to allow the roller to collapse when the deck is down for installation or removal but provide enough force to help prevent scalping when mowing. It should be a fun project. ?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
I like that idea, Tom!

Mine really needs to be lower, so that it prevents more scalping, but I didn't make it long enough to go lower. I think 1 1/2" or maybe even more would help a lot.
Your 'gas shock' idea has merit. I'll be waiting to copy it!

Tim

·
Registered
98 Posts
After watching the video I decided to do it on my 1023e......what a difference mowing! Not once did I scalp the yard. I used the same wheel shown in the video but made the brackets a little different.
Also, I went 3/8'' from the bottom instead of the 1/2'' that was shown on the video. It didn't affect hooking up and disengaging the deck at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts