Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a 1 series front weight bracket care to take a few measurements and post them or PM them to me? I was going to purchase one but when I saw the price I realized I had enough scrap laying around to make one. I just can't bring myself to pay the $200+ for one of these.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are nice. But they require the quick attach system, which I don't have either, and they can't stay on with the loader. And while they are quite a bit less than the JD weight bracket, it's still way more than I want to spend.

Jeff

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Now I have another project to work on around here!!! My wife is gonna kill me if I keep coming up with these! This one shouldn't take all that long though!

Thanks again!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PSrumors,

Would you mind checking the thickness of the material on the weight bracket? Looks like 3/8" or 1/2". Getting ready to make this thing and want to make sure I don't make it too light duty.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
373 Posts
Interference?

Would I be correct in assuming that the weights and bracket would interfere with the kickstand for the loader?
:unknown:

·
Registered
892 Posts
PSrumors,

Would you mind checking the thickness of the material on the weight bracket? Looks like 3/8" or 1/2". Getting ready to make this thing and want to make sure I don't make it too light duty.

Thanks,

Jeff
Front of my 3005 has 1/4" bracket built-in. Holds 6 weights. 1/4" is pretty darn strong especially since it's holding the weight vertically.

Jim

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
PSrumors,

Thanks,

Jeff
It will be Saturday before I can. If I forget, send me a reminder.

Would I be correct in assuming that the weights and bracket would interfere with the kickstand for the loader?
:unknown:
If you do a little grinding it will not...

And if you grind about a 1/4" off the bracket as seen below it will not interfere with the loader stand and can be left in place.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It will be Saturday before I can. If I forget, send me a reminder.

If you do a little grinding it will not...
Maybe I should drink a little less and read a little more... LOL Even with weights attached it doesn't interfere?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Maybe I should drink a little less and read a little more... LOL Even with weights attached it doesn't interfere?
:laugh:

I don't know if the weights interfere or not, have not found a reason to have weights and loader on at the same time.

When I get home this weekend I will see if the weights can be on with the loader. I think they can.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Even if it doesn't interfere that would be unnecessary weight on the front axle. I would remove them if using the loader. I have never felt that I needed any more weight for ballast up front if the loader was on, even with a heavy rotary cutter on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

With both weights and loader, won't you be overloading the front axle when you are lifting a heavy bucket load?????? I can see having the weight bracket on at the same time, but not the weights. I also plan to adopt psrumors grinding modification so I can leave my weight bracket on, but have no intention of leaving the weights on at the same time as the loader.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I'm getting ready to order my 1025R and I currently have a ballast box in the quote, but I'm wondering if I would get more utility out of suitcase weights and hangers front/rear. I can fab up a front bracket pretty easily and would go with a heavy hitch on the rear instead. (although I have tons of brick paving stones for free that I can use as ballast in the BB) I'll have FEL, back blade and the MMM. For which implements/uses would the front weights come into play? (admittedly a tractor newbie.)

Any time I'd be using the back blade I'd also have the FEL on the machine.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,808 Posts
sstlaure, The only time I ever needed front weights is when using our rear finish mower. Tractor was really light in the front end when the mower was lifted.

Reactions: sstlaure

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
sstlaure, The only time I ever needed front weights is when using our rear finish mower. Tractor was really light in the front end when the mower was lifted.
Thanks....sounds like it isn't really necessary for my usage then.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,808 Posts
Thanks....sounds like it isn't really necessary for my usage then.
Not with the FEL on, and you could always put some weight in the bucket if need be.
I would rather have the weights vs the ballast box but too much $$ for me to handle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts