Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks.. This 1023e that I have coming is the first Diesel anything I've ever owned.. I run a splash of seafoam pretty regularly in every gas engine I've had for as long as I can remember and really like it.. Does anyone bother with any of the diesel additives out there?.. Any merit to any of them?..

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
There are a lot of varied opinions on fuel additives, so much so that there really isn't a "general consensus". A lot of people run them, a lot don't.

Personally, I don't run any in my diesel pickup. I do run one in my diesel tractor. The difference is my truck uses a different type of fuel system that does not have a high pressure fuel pump (injection pump), but my tractor does. The extra lubrication from a good fuel additive is certainly good for the pump, and the fuel injectors.

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
You'll get a lot of varied answers with a question like that. It's like asking "what's the best motor oil?" or "what's the best tires, R4s, R1s, or R3s?" It's best to do some research and figure out (and wade through all the BS) which is best for you. I can tell you that some high profile, very well known diesel additives are glorified kerosene which is something you don't want in your tractor's fuel system. Avoid anything with alcohol either.

I personally use Opti-Lube products. I would also use Stanadyne (which is who makes JD's additive last I checked).

I'm going to borrow 56FordGuy's usual statement and say 'your mileage may vary.'

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll get a lot of varied answers with a question like that. It's like asking "what's the best motor oil?" or "what's the best tires, R4s, R1s, or R3s?" It's best to do some research and figure out (and wade through all the BS) which is best for you. I can tell you that some high profile, very well known diesel additives are glorified kerosene which is something you don't want in your tractor's fuel system. Avoid anything with alcohol either.

I personally use Opti-Lube products. I would also use Stanadyne (which is who makes JD's additive last I checked).

I'm going to borrow 56FordGuy's usual statement and say 'your mileage may vary.'
ha!.. fair enough diesel.. And yeah, you're right.. It is kind of a "can of worms" question and was pretty open ended.. I think I was just looking to see what folks posted that they use if anything to see if there was any kind of a pattern.. Just want to give the engine the best fighting chance I can at longevity..

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
ha!.. fair enough diesel.. And yeah, you're right.. It is kind of a "can of worms" question and was pretty open ended.. I think I was just looking to see what folks posted that they use if anything to see if there was any kind of a pattern.. Just want to give the engine the best fighting chance I can at longevity..
You can start with good clean, fresh fuel. Get it from a station that has a lot of truck traffic. That goes a long way to keeping the fuel system clean and happy. A good additive is an insurance policy. Most of the time you wouldn't even know it's doing anything.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have been using Opti-lube in winter. Haven't used a additive in summer.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I also use the Opti-lube XPD, and as Diesel stated use a good clean/quality source of fuel also don't buy a lot at one time to keep the shelf life to a minimum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use Sta-bil Diesel formula year round and also use Power Service anti-gel in the winter months. Makes me feel a little better...:greentractorride:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
All my gas engines fed from 4 5gal. cans including mixes get Stabil treated gas. When it comes to what my 1026 needs I'm in lock step with JD products. Oils, greases and especially JD's own diesel "Fuel Protect" products. \

You can start here with JD's own words https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5496_fb_SummerWinterDieselConditioner.htm#_Diesel_fuel_conditioner,_1 and then wade through all the other commercial offerings out there.

Another thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/tractor-equipment-maintenance/10317-diesel-winterizing-concerns.html?highlight=diesel+additive

Yet another: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/7070-diesel-addtive.html?highlight=diesel+additive

You can use the "SEARCH" box top right of the page (terms "diesel fuel additive") to bring up lots of discussion on fuel treatment.

And I can tell you that JD's Fuel Protect ain't your Grandad's kerosene! One sniff will tell you it's not kerosene of this Earth!:laugh:

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
Kerosene can be masked quite easily with some additives that have some color or smell. Just sayin'!

·
Registered
709 Posts
After reading through many of the posts on this site, Harold strikes me as one who may have vast experience at sniffing substances. He may be the site expert on it. :shhh:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
excellent info guys.. I continue to be impressed by the knowledge available on this forum!..

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,840 Posts
excellent info guys.. I continue to be impressed by the knowledge available on this forum!..
And I haven't even posted anything to this thread yet.:lol:
Kidding aside, I am guessing you WILL need something for the cold winter months.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I want to start using opti-lube, just haven't gotten around to ordering any yet. This was based on the

Lubricity Additive Study Results

I think there is a place that sells Bio-Diseal near me, but I'm not sure how long I could store that to mix with my regular off road diesel that I use. I really don't keep diesel on hand. When the 1023 gets low I go down a few blocks and get 4 or 5 gallons and fill it up. This would also require me to get a second yellow can.

So far with running no additives haven't had any problems. I store my tractor in a unheated detatched concrete block garage all winter and it always starts right up.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Kerosene can be masked quite easily with some additives that have some color or smell. Just sayin'!
So Jason, you forced me to whip out my Google and do some queries! :)laugh:) What I found was a page where one can find MSDS (Material Safety and Data Sheets) on JD products:

Product Safety from John*Deere

Then the MSDS for JD Fuel Protect...

http://www.3eonline.com/ImageServer/NewPdf/fa8288a358d2423882b2100305c7e077.pdf

...AND lo and behold, Fuel Protect is made by an old friend from long years past, "Bardahll" AND not only that.... Surprise, it DOES contain my Grandfather's ol' kerosene along with lighter fluid and alcohol!

ingredients.JPG

Well I.B.D!:laugh: Now, let's all look up our favorite JD products and report back on what other mundane ingredients we're paying top dollar for.:lol:

After reading through many of the posts on this site, Harold strikes me as one who may have vast experience at sniffing substances. He may be the site expert on it. :shhh:
Oh really? :wasntme: :laugh::lol:

Reactions: Ultrapile

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Am I the only one that uses starting fluid as a parts cleaner because the buzz is better than mineral spirits?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
:good2: Righteous, Dude! The other "brown baggin' it"!:laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,840 Posts
Am I the only one that uses starting fluid as a parts cleaner because the buzz is better than mineral spirits?
Nope!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts