Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fit of the hood on my new 1023 is a little out of whack.. When closed if you're facing the front of the tractor the left side sits lower than the right.. If If you're standing behind the tractor the left side has a bit of a gap and the right side is flush with the side panel.. Again.. Standing in front of the tractor, if you just pop the hood and let the catch pop up to the position it wants to go to on its own.. It pops up and moves about a half inch to the left.. If sitting in the seat it seems like the entire left side of the hood is higher than the right.. Is it adjustable or is this just the way it is with these fiberglass hoods.. Its not like when you look at it you'd say "damn what's wrong with your hood?!".. But it is noticeable enough.. Am I being to picky ?.. Just curious before I load it up and take it the dealer to have them tell me "they're all like that"..

·
Registered
523 Posts
I noticed a big gap in mine yesterday when looking from the side. Raised and lowered the hood several times and it went away.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed a big gap in mine yesterday when looking from the side. Raised and lowered the hood several times and it went away.
Wish I was getting off that easy Fred.. While playing around with it I've opened and closed the hood probably 50 times.. No change dang it..

·
Registered
709 Posts
I thought I saw a thread just a couple of weeks ago where someone else adjusted theirs. I am pushing 100 hours now and have not noticed my hood out of whack when closed. I do notice it rubs just a little on the counsel when I open and close it. I have not tried to adjust it though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I saw a thread just a couple of weeks ago where someone else adjusted theirs. I am pushing 100 hours now and have not noticed my hood out of whack when closed. I do notice it rubs just a little on the counsel when I open and close it. I have not tried to adjust it though.
With any luck someone chimes in who knows the name of that thread.. If you saw what you think you saw that is!.. ha!.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It was right there next to the space ship! :lol:

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mines a little bit off as well. One side sits a little higher as you mentioned. I also saw that thread on hood adjustment and meant to save it but forgot. :banghead:

Just tried to search for it and no luck. Maybe someone else will have better luck than me.

Jeff

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
Mines a little bit off as well. One side sits a little higher as you mentioned. I also saw that thread on hood adjustment and meant to save it but forgot. :banghead:

Just tried to search for it and no luck. Maybe someone else will have better luck than me.

Jeff
I came up with a few threads that may be relevant.

Hood cross member

1E and 1R solutions

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I came up with a few threads that may be relevant.

Hood cross member

1E and 1R solutions
The tractor is brand new so its already got that cross brace in it.. Its just the way it fits when closed.. It doesn't move or rattle or anything.. it just sits a little more cockeyed than I'd like.. I don't expect perfect automotive fit and finish on a machine like this, but with the 1 series being 3 years old I would think the hood would fit a little better than this.. I'm going to head over to a dealer near me today to inspect some units they have there and chat with one of the guys about it.. I'll let ya' know what they say..

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't expect perfect automotive fit and finish on a machine like this, but with the 1 series being 3 years old I would think the hood would fit a little better than this.. I'm going to head over to a dealer near me today to inspect some units they have there and chat with one of the guys about it.. I'll let ya' know what they say..
Yeah, I had to remind myself of this too. Its a fiberglass hood that sits over removable engine side panels. There's a lot of tolerance in those parts and the way they fit that all add up. I haven't really looked at many other 1 series tractors so I've got no basis of comparison. I'll be curious to hear what you find out at the dealer.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
My right side cover sits below and outside the edge of the hood. Prior to the end of the warranty I will bring it up to the dealer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just left the dealership.. First had to deal with the grilling I knew was coming because I didn't buy the machine there.. Got the spanish inquisition over it and had to explain that it was because the dealer I used was a polaris atv store as well and I bought two machines which allowed me to buy the 1023 for $2000 less than he had quoted me just 60 days ago!.. Geeezzzz!!.. So once everyone got over their hurt feelings we went outside and opened and closed the hood on two 1023's and a 1025 that they have there.. They open and close much straighter than mine does.. The guy told me to loosen off the brace and the bolts for the hood latch to see if I can get any play that allows things to line up better.. I can't see it having any effect but I'll try it I guess.. If it doesn't he told me to bring it in and they should be able to straighten it out.. I guess loosening a couple of bolts isn't a big deal but if I can't correct it myself in 5 mins I'm taking it in.. I ain't gonna mess around with it too much..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tried to adjust it and nothin'.. I'm convinced it has to do with the main hinge/arms at the back of the hood assembly.. Can't really see behind the plastic panels to see how it all works.. I'll run it in on sat morning for the dealer to have a look at it.. I gotta believe its simple but who knows..

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had to adjust my hood because it was catching on the back near the steering wheel, plus it was pretty far forward. I had to loosen the rear bolts and move it around a bit but eventually found a happy spot so it sits straight and doesn't catch either.

Good luck

Adam

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
When I first got mine I noticed the hood shaking quite a bit. Read on here where Deere had a fix with a brace inside the hood. Seen what it looked like instead of pestering the dealer made my own. Installed it , hood opens and closes and truthfully I can't tell you if my is high on one side or high in the back . It latches , releases maybe I should look at mine. NAH!!!

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Is it possible it is not the hood and the one side panel is off. I hate body fitment work, move this to line up with that and now there is a gap here. It is like a giant Rubik's cube.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I get my warranty work done at a different dealer too. They are happy to have the work. They don't have any "hurt feelings" for me buying elsewhere. They know they are the better shop and dealer and don't have to rub it in.

I'm sure they will make it right, it's a simple warranty issue.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Is it possible it is not the hood and the one side panel is off. I hate body fitment work, move this to line up with that and now there is a gap here. It is like a giant Rubik's cube.
My 1026 has a lot of "extra room for adjustment" on both side panels. I fiddled out the nasty low RPM rattle it came with by making sure of the RH panel's location before SNUGGING (NOT tightening) the bolt.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hey Felix.. you might be on to something there and it might help a bit fiddling with the side panels.. However I don't think that's the root cause based on where the hood catch contacts the latch.. When I slowly lower the hood until the catch 1st comes into contact with the latch itself.. If facing the tractor the catch contacts the latch about 3/4 of an inch off to the left (the right if you were sitting in the seat).. So when I gently coax the hood over to go into the latch and close tight.. The hood is basically forced to twist a bit at the back left hand corner (if facing the tractor its your left).. It really think its a silly little adjustment that needs to be made in the rear hinges.. I'm just nervous about tearing into it to much and monkeying around with it..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Tried messing with the cross brace again and its straight!.. I think the mistake I made on the first attempt was that I was adjusting the brace with the hood open.. Its nearly impossible to put it in the right position that way, not to mention that gravity is working against you.. The trick for me anyway, was having the hood closed with the cross brace bolts loosened and the side panels off so that with the hood closed I had access to the bolts for tightening once I had it positioned right.. Pretty weak in terms of QC at the factory.. But I'm a happy camper now!..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts