Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with removing scratches from their plastic hood. Just wondering if it is green all the way through to be able to sand and buff the scratches out. I had some shingles fall out of the bucket (granular side down), and scarred the top of the hood up.

I know it is just a tractor, but I try to keep my equipment running and looking the best they can.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You might try fine sandpaper to bring the surrounding surfaces down a bit, and follow with some judicious heat gun magic to try and "skin" it over.

But, I would definitely test that out someplace other than the top of your hood, ...maybe the inside of one of the side panels, or better yet, a green 5-gallon plastic bucket to make sure it works to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Before you do anything, talk to a body shop guy. He will tell you flat out if it can be fixed up or not.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with removing scratches from their plastic hood. Just wondering if it is green all the way through to be able to sand and buff the scratches out. I had some shingles fall out of the bucket (granular side down), and scarred the top of the hood up.

I know it is just a tractor, but I try to keep my equipment running and looking the best they can.
I can tell you from personal experience the hood is black material beneath the green paint and I ended up getting a new hood, at about $300......as mine was chipped up from glass shards when the windshield shattered. There is a thread about the incident somewhere.......

·
Premium Member
12,247 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience the hood is black material beneath the green paint and I ended up getting a new hood, at about $300......as mine was chipped up from glass shards when the windshield shattered. There is a thread about the incident somewhere.......
I was going to comment that if it is anything like the L&G hoods it will be black under the green but held off thinking maybe the 1-series is different. I agree. There is no good way to restore the hood to its previous condition.

Live with the "badges of use" or spring for a new hood. :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

I haven't worried about the scratches on the plastic hood on my 1023E, but the plastic hood on my lawn tractor is always vastly improved after polishing with a Porter Cable 7424XP and some Adam's Polishes polishing compounds. That's where I'd start on the hood of my 1023E.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Well, the hoods and side panels are plastic, but not the same as what everyone seems to think.
They are painted. They will polish up just like any other painted part.
Surely Im not the only one whose noticed this....
The fenders and lower plastic (around the foot deck) are the molded green plastic that not much can be done with.
Of course, you can actually paint the other panels too, with proper prep...but thats not what was asked.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you can see green at the bottom of the scratch you may be able to buff it out, or blend it in a bit at worse case.

I have buffed on many plastic JD tractors and on some the green is thicker than others. I burned thru on my X595 hood trying to get some deep scratches out. I doubt you would notice it unless I pointed it out.

I use this 3M product Part# 05973 with a non orbital pneumatic buffer. I have no experience with the newer foam buffing pads so I just use an old school wool pad. I saw this same product with Mcguires car polish name on it.

This is also what I use at the shop to buff out those cloudy headlight lenses.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
First light spray w/ water & see if Scratch hides. If so:

1) Wet sand with a block start w/ 1000-1500 grit for the deep parts (perpendicular to the scratch) NOT TOO DEEP
2) Final sand 2000-3000 grit Kind of in a cross hatch pattern (gently w/ small DA ok)
3) Buff using a D/A & heavy compound on a firm foam pad (Removes the sanding scratches )
4) Polish with polishing (or correcting) compound a medium pad
5) Apply a nice coat of wax with DA & soft pad (or by hand)

Or bring it to your local friendly detailer. Such a small job he prob won't charge much to do the above with the proper stuff.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Just add flames...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have pictures of the scratches. Mainly just curious if the plastic is green all the way through. I am guessing it is not. I was not aware that those plastic parts were painted, and not just molded. In that case, I will mess around with it this winter, and fill the scratches and repaint the hood, and touch up the wear and tear on the mower deck.

That is some really tough plastic, to hold up to 1/2 bundle of shingles hitting it and not destroying it.

·
Super Moderator
2,239 Posts
I don't have pictures of the scratches. Mainly just curious if the plastic is green all the way through. I am guessing it is not. I was not aware that those plastic parts were painted, and not just molded. In that case, I will mess around with it this winter, and fill the scratches and repaint the hood, and touch up the wear and tear on the mower deck.

That is some really tough plastic, to hold up to 1/2 bundle of shingles hitting it and not destroying it.
It is not green all the way through. As mentioned, it is black at the core.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience the hood is black material beneath the green paint and I ended up getting a new hood, at about $300......
I don't have pictures of the scratches. Mainly just curious if the plastic is green all the way through. I am guessing it is not.
It is not green all the way through. As mentioned, it is black at the core.
Thanks Kyle, Apparently, my first comment lacked clarity, the BOLD, BLACK and UNDERLINED answer remains accurate......Oh well......:mocking::laugh::lol:

·
Super Moderator
2,239 Posts
Thanks Kyle, Apparently, my first comment lacked clarity, the BOLD, BLACK and UNDERLINED answer remains accurate......Oh well......:mocking::laugh::lol:
Yeah.... you might want to clarify that a tad better next time. :lolol:

·
Registered
385 Posts
The advice about filling is probably the best. When I buffed some light scratches out green paint came off on the pad so I would also recommend building up any deep scratches first. Light scratches can be buffed out lightly with a gentle compound.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts