Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1025r is presenting me a bit of a quandary.

Here is what is happening perhaps someone with more experience can help me figure this out.

After being plugged in(block heater) for over an hour I go out to the tractor and it starts beautifully no smoke no nothing...

Drive around at lower rpms for 1/2 an hour pushing snow with the back blade.

Time comes to get up to pto speed and it get there fine and runs fine for a bit (say 30 seconds or so) then begins missing....

No overheat obviously... guage is actually lower than i'd like it (only a bit off the peg).

Any thoughts?

I think it's too cold running but shouldn't is miss at low rpm to if that's the case?

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
I would suspect fuel restriction such as a partially plugged filter or gelled fuel. have you looked at your filter or changed the one under the left floor board?

Is it smoking any? If so, what color?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would suspect fuel restriction such as a partially plugged filter or gelled fuel. have you looked at your filter or changed the one under the left floor board?

Is it smoking any? If so, what color?
Thanks for the input Diesel...

New filters no gel in the fuel (fresh purchase and additive just in case) Very little smoke to speak of though there might be some blue

Put on my thinking cap and did some experiments.

Outdoor temp is 12f

Put a temporary "cold front" on the radiator... Once the temp needle moves to halfway through its swing everything seems rosy and happy no misses nothing.. Put it under heavy load and it sang along fine. Of course with a blocked off radiator and hard work the needle climbed higher so I removed the block plate and it cooled down quickly....

I'm beginning to think my thermostat isn't and hasn't ever worked properly. I've read many stories here about trying to keep these engines from overheating but even on 100f humid days mowing heavy stuff mine barely breaks a sweat.. even with lots of chaff on the grille....

Going to get out the thermo camera and do some real temperature gathering...

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Yeah, super cooling a diesel (by driving the fan all the time) in the cold can absolutely cause your stumble. Partially blocking the radiator is a good solution that has worked for many years for lots of equipment. Just make sure to watch the gauge and make adjustments as needed.

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
I'm beginning to think my thermostat isn't and hasn't ever worked properly. I've read many stories here about trying to keep these engines from overheating but even on 100f humid days mowing heavy stuff mine barely breaks a sweat.. even with lots of chaff on the grille....
I've always thought the same thing about my 2720. The lower radiator hose always seems cool to the touch...even in the summer. Since I don't mow with my tractor I don't really do anything that really pulls a heavy load. Even loader work doesn't seem to cause it to break a sweat.

Reactions: etcallhome and Levi

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have a piece of cardboard with a 4 inch hole in it that i keep in front of radiator year round.
Even in summer it never gets up in temperature.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
You need the optional Thermostat. The one they put in at the factory is rediculously low. Changed mine and it runs about 1/3 of the Guage travel. Take your block off cardboard and cut a 4 in hole in the middle. It will be fine.
Mine never stumbled, but your may be brand new full tier 4. God knows what they did on this engine. Mine is a 2013.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I have a piece of cardboard with a 4 inch hole in it that i keep in front of radiator year round.
Even in summer it never gets up in temperature.
Woops, did not read your post.... sorry.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can get an optional 180F tstat from Deere. They come from the factory with a 160F stat. I think that is way too cool for a Diesel engine. Tier 4 emissions standards probably forced them to run these tractors cool. I put the 180 in mine last winter and temps always stayed just below half on the needle while plowing. I mowed with it all summer in 90F+ temps and gauge never went above half. I highly recommend it.

Part number is: M812140

1 - 9 of 9 Posts