Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 3” puddle of coolant under my 1025, and I found 2 of the large hose clamps that were not nearly tight enough, probably from heating / cooling cycles. :thumbup1gif:

Easy fix if you have a nagging slow coolant drip.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I had a 3” puddle of coolant under my 1025, and I found 2 of the large hose clamps that were not nearly tight enough, probably from heating / cooling cycles. :thumbup1gif:

Yep, good advice!!!! :good2:

·
Premium Member
740 Posts

This is awesome! 3-4 days ago, I had a small puddle under the front, and you nailed it, the clamps.

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 3” puddle of coolant under my 1025, and I found 2 of the large hose clamps that were not nearly tight enough, probably from heating / cooling cycles.

This is awesome! 3-4 days ago, I had a small puddle under the front, and you nailed it, the clamps.

Great!

The one I had dripping was on the thermostat housing. I also had one on the radiator that was loose. I bet it's a common issue.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good to check clamps but sometimes coolant leaks require more

I had similar issue but unfortunately my coolant issue wasn't quite as simple as noted in my earlier post. http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/90922-coolant-leakage-1026r-after-replacing-coolant.html

My leak is related to thermal expansion or so I think. My leak started directly after having flushed/refilled coolant. To make a long story short I still have the issue. However, after studying it winter of 2016/17 the leak just went away last April as it warmed up. Never leaked during the summer last year. Come this Nov/Dec 2017 it started leaking again. I lose about 3 to 6 ounces over the winter which I'm fine with vs removing the water pump and fixing the issue. I can do some maint and will likely attempt this repair some day but I'm not real confident when it comes to tearing parts off the engine. Thus will put up with this until it gets so bad that I don't have a choice. I believe the issue is likely #20 (O-ring) on the parts list (precisely area where leak seems to be coming from). I just know that when I go in and replace the o-ring I'll also have to put a new gasket on which I could end up creating leaks elsewhere. So for now, I just deal with this nuisance and when I check the oil I do the same for the coolant.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're sure it's coming from that o-ring? It's hard to tell with it being right below the thermostat and hose. I'd agree, change it during the next coolant change, and I'd put some sealant on the new o-ring since there may be a casting flaw causing it to leak

Reactions: keane and PJR832

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 1025R is in its 3rd season of snow blowing duty. I too noticed a 1"-3" coolant puddle under it after each use this winter. After reading the OP's post I checked all my hose clamps. Sure enough, the clamp on the thermostat was so loose I could turn the screw with my fingers. I have checked these clamps a few times in the past years and they were never loose like that??? Thanks for pointing it out AJgrn78.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think this demonstrates why those nasty constant-tension style hose clamps are used instead of worm-style clamps in many cases. They are brutal to remove sometimes, but keep tight when rubber hoses settle and compress. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one losing coolant for this reason.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Add me to the LHCC (loose hose clamp club). When I bought my tractor (used) it came with a half used gallon jug of anti freeze. I was worried I had one of those ill fitting collant overflow caps. I washed the tractor and engine off and looked for leaks. Sure enough just a loose hose clamp. I HE-MANed on the screw driver. No leak no more.

The almost empty jug of low-viz hydroguard was from the leaking steering cylinder hose.

The empty case of beer was from when the guy managed to bust the steering cylinder hose. He never tightened said hose cus he was hammered from the beer. Hehe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts