Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
18,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on Facebook, I have no direct experience myself.

JD has a plastic pin now (maybe standard now on the 2018's?) to replace the nut/bolt setup previously used to retain the side panels.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,836 Posts
I supposed there would have to be a receiving plate or pin to lock it in then? I wonder if this can be retro-fitted to earlier models if an owner chose to do so?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I supposed there would have to be a receiving plate or pin to lock it in then? I wonder if this can be retro-fitted to earlier models if an owner chose to do so?
One good engineering move. But 1 attaboy does not make up for the 10 aw $h!ts they have done on these tractors.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,607 Posts
Saw this on Facebook, I have not direct experience myself.

JD has a plastic pin now (maybe standard now on the 2018's?) to replace the nut/bolt setup previously used to retain the side panels.
The '18's do in fact come with them. :thumbup1gif:
One good engineering move. But 1 attaboy does not make up for the 10 aw $h!ts they have done on these tractors.

I couldn't agree more, the side panel pins are a score, but then they took the simple hood release and muffed that up.

·
Administrator
18,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how it works, but from the FB posts it appears guys are buying just these to upgrade their older machines.

From the post:

No other modifications to convert to theses eh? I’d been thinking about it but didn’t know if anything else needed to be changed to make them work.

no sir, just remove the bolt and insert these.

·
Corndog Hater
11,771 Posts
Call me a curmudgeon, but is a socket and nut driver that difficult to use to remove the side panels? It takes all of a minute to remove them.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Call me a curmudgeon, but is a socket and nut driver that difficult to use to remove the side panels? It takes all of a minute to remove them.
Tools.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
One of the first things I did after buying my 1025r was to replace the bolts in the side panels with pins with a spring and hairpin.

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

While these were better than the bolts allowing for tool-less access, after using them for awhile, I really don't see the need for having anything in the panels so mine are now bolt-less and pin-less and have had no problems with that. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
13,607 Posts
Here is a pic of my 2018 2025 FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Until You drop the Nut and It goes Underneath the radiator:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Not sure how it works, but from the FB posts it appears guys are buying just these to upgrade their older machines.

From the post:
It was too late for me to try these when I found out about them, so I don't know 100%, but when I took my bolts out and installed pins & clips I got at TSC, I had to trim with a utility knife, 2 little tabs that were casted as part of the black cowling that the panel slides into. Those tabs prevented the pin from sliding in since it was slightly larger than the bolts that came out. Those tabs appear to be what the yellow locking pins you showed would use. It appears the (yellow) pin slides along those tabs, then turn the pin and they would lock.

The tabs are located approximately where the arrows point.

2018-12-02 19.23.33.jpg

·
Registered
732 Posts
could someone with the pins remove it and take a picture of the hole from the front to see if it is the same as the old models. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
Well Mr. Curmudgeon, Corn Dog Hater, King of the Survey, Dirt CEO, Chairman of the Sandwich Thread.......

There, I called you a Curmudgeon...................

Griswold Family Christmas is running in a loop on AMC right now. Your station wagon the Family Truck-ster, is in the garage.............

Cousin Eddie just said "Too bad the older kids couldn't make it for Christmas, but they are at home working on their careers. The daughter is kicking a habit of Wild Turkey while the son is working on being a Carnival Barker at the Tilt o Wheel."

Then Cousin Eddie told Clark, "Don't get too in love with our RV as we are taking it with us when we leave next month......."

What a Holiday Classic, made 29 years ago.......:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
14,862 Posts

Remove the nut and bolt ,,,done.

I simply just removed the nut and bolt altogether and have had zero problems.

Did this 7-8 yrs ago with then the new 1026r and now 4 yrs ago the 1025..

The side panel WILL NOT FAR OUT , WILL NOT MOVE , with nut and bolt removed have had no issues what so ever. Have hauled the tractor miles at interstate speeds, 2 lanes , gravel and dirt roads , Side panel is still on the tractor.

When the 1025 was delivered the dealer had already removed the side panel nut and bolts.

IMO they are not needed

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
My 2018 1025R has the plastic pins. But has the stupid hole you have to stick the Key or a screwdriver in to open the hood
If that isn't one step forward and four steps backwards, I don't know what is..............:banghead::laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
A minute. Who has an extra minute.

My 2018 1025R has the plastic pins. But has the stupid hole you have to stick the Key or a screwdriver in to open the hood
Good point.

I like the quick turn clips on mine. I do not like the push pin, I am always afraid I am going to push it too far and won’t notice until after I close the hood and then find the pin is out of the hole.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
If that isn't one step forward and four steps backwards, I don't know what is..............:banghead:
Dang Sully, that is the absolute shortest post I have ever read from you, but it is spot on!!! :hide:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Honestly I like the plastic pins and push button hood release on my 2018. No problems and side panels come off quick and easy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts