Green Tractor Talk banner

1-series Side Panel Quick Release Pin

19K views 44 replies 30 participants last post by  Sp0ngeb0b 
#1 ·
Saw this on Facebook, I have no direct experience myself.

JD has a plastic pin now (maybe standard now on the 2018's?) to replace the nut/bolt setup previously used to retain the side panels.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I supposed there would have to be a receiving plate or pin to lock it in then? I wonder if this can be retro-fitted to earlier models if an owner chose to do so?

#3 ·
One good engineering move. But 1 attaboy does not make up for the 10 aw $h!ts they have done on these tractors.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Saw this on Facebook, I have not direct experience myself.

JD has a plastic pin now (maybe standard now on the 2018's?) to replace the nut/bolt setup previously used to retain the side panels.
The '18's do in fact come with them. :thumbup1gif:
One good engineering move. But 1 attaboy does not make up for the 10 aw $h!ts they have done on these tractors.

I couldn't agree more, the side panel pins are a score, but then they took the simple hood release and muffed that up.

#7 ·
Tools.

#8 ·
One of the first things I did after buying my 1025r was to replace the bolts in the side panels with pins with a spring and hairpin.

Auto part Gun Vehicle Wheel

While these were better than the bolts allowing for tool-less access, after using them for awhile, I really don't see the need for having anything in the panels so mine are now bolt-less and pin-less and have had no problems with that. YMMV.

#9 ·
Here is a pic of my 2018 2025 FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
My 2018 1025R has the plastic pins. But has the stupid hole you have to stick the Key or a screwdriver in to open the hood
If that isn't one step forward and four steps backwards, I don't know what is..............:banghead::laugh:

#22 ·
On my 2016 I took the side panel bolts and left them out and never had a problem. On my new 2018 the hood release is a pain In the rear.

#25 ·
I removed the bolts and nuts a couple years ago and never replaced. No problem with over 400 hours of hard use.

#32 ·
Anyone try it yet? :)

#33 ·
I've stated before,, same your time and money ,, remove the pin ,put them on a shelf , drawer or junk bin.

Close the hood and use your tractor,, the side panels will not fall out even at 70mph on a trailer going down the interstate.

#34 ·
It's not like this is a $500 upgrade folks. I didn't have them on my 2014, but have them on my 2018. I like them. For $5 to $10, it's worth it.

#35 ·
I managed to break a pin on my 1025. I ordered a replacement pin but i not having any luck getting the new pin back into place.Any ideas? Thanks Kent

#37 ·
I did a stupid thing of forgetting to push the pin back in after I was adjusting an add a fuse so when I shut the hood, it sheared the pin off. Now, I would agree with other comments that that panel isn't going anywhere without a pin or bolt especially for the work I do and the tight access of the single point, however for the low cost and a touch of OCD I had to replace it. Other than one single video of someone upgrading the last gen 1025R from the 10mm bolts, I couldn't find any other info on an easy way to put these back in. In the video the guy filed down the tabs which I didn't want to do or feel it was necessary. His problem and mine (at the start) was that I was trying to push these straight in. In the end I ended up putting one tab in the groove by angling the pin down toward the ground and pushing in and up at the same time and in it went. It happened so fast there wasn't any time to take a pic and not sure if it would break coming back out. Since this thread is so old and no other new ones, it doesn't seem to be so common so hopefully this post finds someone some day with the same issue.

#41 ·
my 1025R is a 2022 has them (of course) they work by rotating them then pulling them (and vice-versa to lock them back) imo it seemed pretty flimsy. side panel slide towards the back and out after that... i think the mechanism looked flimsy at best. Also my 1025R has a plastic hood from the looks of it. (just in case someone wonders)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.