Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 11 years of trying my hardest to work with the wind while snow blowing, I've decided I'd like to seriously look at buying a cab or some sort of enclosure for my 1026R. There are many factors I want to take into consideration, so this is just the beginning of a process. I have been used to a mostly unobstructed view from the seat. My biggest enemy has been too many clothes, mainly scarves, face masks, googles, hats and hoods. They impede my ability to see what is going on around me. With a cab I would be looking to lessen/minimize that but I don't want to trade it for a cramped setting with a lot of obstructions to looks through. I am hoping some of you with cabs might share what your view looks like from behind the wheel. I am interested in the view out the front, sides and back. I have searched here and YouTube and can find all sort of vids and pics looking at the cab from the outside (Tractor Time with Tim's video had a little bit of looking out:thumbup1gif:), I'm interested in the opposite. Right now I am focused on the Original Cab, and the new Seizmik cab. However like I said, this is a process and my focus and budget could shift, so all cabs are welcome, maybe it will benefit others besides me. Thanks!:good2:

·
Registered
23,051 Posts
When I think about a cab for my tractor the first thing that comes to mind is being cramped. The operator’s station is already cramped to me without a cab. Of course I am used to full size equipment.

For that reason I would suggest you see if you can find a dealer or two that has a cabbed 1-series for you to sit in. Or maybe another member here within driving distance - a road trip perhaps?

This would also give you a definite answer to your main concern of visibility.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi, unfortunately I can't create a video of how the view is from inside my Original Cab right now as the tractor is in North Dakota and I'm in Texas for the winter. I can tell you I have great visibility from inside when operating the tractor and blowing snow. The clear panels on the front below the windshield allow me to see the front tires and the panels in the doors provide very good visibility on either side. The rear panel is large and provides good visibility to the back when I am using the rear blade. Mine is on a 2320 but should be very much like what you would get. I've attached a picture of the unit from the outside which will show what mine looks like.

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I think about a cab for my tractor the first thing that comes to mind is being cramped. The operator’s station is already cramped to me without a cab. Of course I am used to full size equipment.

For that reason I would suggest you see if you can find a dealer or two that has a cabbed 1-series for you to sit in. Or maybe another member here within driving distance - a road trip perhaps?

This would also give you a definite answer to your main concern of visibility.

Yes I don't want to be cramped either. I have always liked the looks of the Mauser, Tektite, etc. with all the glass. I used a neighbor's factory cabbed Kubota a few times and never felt cramped or closed in and the view was great. So that is why I mentioned the budget could change. This is something I'll use for a good portion of the year and have for a long time, so maybe spending the extra isn't the worst idea. All just food for thought. A GTT road trip sounds like fun.:good2:

Hi, unfortunately I can't create a video of how the view is from inside my Original Cab right now as the tractor is in North Dakota and I'm in Texas for the winter. I can tell you I have great visibility from inside when operating the tractor and blowing snow. The clear panels on the front below the windshield allow me to see the front tires and the panels in the doors provide very good visibility on either side. The rear panel is large and provides good visibility to the back when I am using the rear blade. Mine is on a 2320 but should be very much like what you would get. I've attached a picture of the unit from the outside which will show what mine looks like.

Thanks Dave!!! Those front pillars on the side of the Original Cab windshield are what bother me the most. They just look so wide and like they'd often be in my line of sight.:unknown:

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
Don't forget that when you are blowing snow without the cab your vision is seriously hampered with snow, ice and other crap on your glasses or goggles, to say nothing of them fogging over. :dunno:

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't forget that when you are blowing snow without the cab your vision is seriously hampered with snow, ice and other crap on your glasses or goggles, to say nothing of them fogging over. :dunno:
You're right. I added goggles to my arsenal years ago and they have lost the anti fog capabilities. So between all the clothes and now foggy goggles, I feel my ability to operate safely is somewhat hampered.:banghead:

·
Registered
222 Posts
CP, I have a 1025R with a Curtis Cab and I love it. I am 6'2" and 190 and do not feel cramped in any way. If I forget to tilt the steering wheel up, it can feel tight until I'm seated. As a matter of fact, I've often thought the cab was too tall, I can nearly stand up in there. I have never attached a video but I would be happy to attempt one after lunch. One thing to consider is that you don't need to be bundled up in a cab. I don't need gloves and most often end up removing my light hoodie too because if I'm doing lots of plowing, I get hot so jeans and a t-shirt are my usual dress.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CP, I have a 1025R with a Curtis Cab and I love it. I am 6'2" and 190 and do not feel cramped in any way. If I forget to tilt the steering wheel up, it can feel tight until I'm seated. As a matter of fact, I've often thought the cab was too tall, I can nearly stand up in there. I have never attached a video but I would be happy to attempt one after lunch. One thing to consider is that you don't need to be bundled up in a cab. I don't need gloves and most often end up removing my light hoodie too because if I'm doing lots of plowing, I get hot so jeans and a t-shirt are my usual dress.

Thanks Joe. If I could go out in my Carhartt, jeans and insulated boots and mittens and a light hat, I'd be good. I'm hoping to lose the ski pants, face mask, googles, scarf and hood.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I wanted to add, good hearing protection is a must. Once you have the doors and windows closed, all the tractor's sound is trapped in there with you.
Sound isn't the only thing that gets trapped......don't fart either.:laugh::painkiller:

I've seen videos of guys snow blowing and for some reason they have it shooting up in the air 20'.I adjust my chute to blow down and to the side so I don't get covered.But the most don't have a chute control either.

·
Premium Member
14,897 Posts
I've owned a Original Cab on a JD425 apx 15 yrs ago , then on a 2210 , 2305, 1026r and now 1025r. The wide area around the windshield IMO doesn't get in the way for seeing . Much nicer than plowing snow with a blinding wind , thankfully never had to try using the front blower.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also would like to get a cab for my tractor. After the subzero weather we recently experienced I think it would be beneficial. I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread for updates. I think I'd like a hard cab for the durability. How long are the soft cabs lasting without the need for replacement or repairs? Can the hard can be removed for warm weather use?

·
Registered
837 Posts
You're right. I added goggles to my arsenal years ago and they have lost the anti fog capabilities. So between all the clothes and now foggy goggles, I feel my ability to operate safely is somewhat hampered.:banghead:
I don't know if this would help at all but you can buy some anti-fog liquid to use on your goggles and the cab glass. Worked great for me when I used to live up in Pennsylvania. I only use it now to de-fog my snorkeling mask.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
They sell new ones with cabs. :gizmo: :hide2:

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What am I missing???

The boat, as usual:laugh: It's what I'm missing, and it happens to be my googles, face mask and scarf, oh and apparently a cab.:lol:

Can the hard can be removed for warm weather use?

Typically in a hard cab without A/C, the doors and windows are removed, but the frame work remains.

They sell new ones with cabs. :gizmo: :hide2:

Can't say it hasn't crossed my mind, but it would be another one series, just with a cab. Oh and a quick detach on the FEL bucket. But there's nothing wrong with my 1026R, so why trade!:thumbup1gif:

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know if this would help at all but you can buy some anti-fog liquid to use on your goggles and the cab glass. Worked great for me when I used to live up in Pennsylvania. I only use it now to de-fog my snorkeling mask.:thumbup1gif:

Just picked up some of this. Hadn't thought of using is on the cab glass.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts