Green Tractor Talk banner

10 years of waiting! My shop build begins!

6K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  tiahuana 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#6 ·
#4 ·

#11 ·
Congradulations, Finally getting your shop is really exciting.

I just bought a little piece of land which we move-into mid-july and i'm also building a shop as soon as we take posession. Very exciting stuff.

Please keep us updated!

#15 ·
What's going on that couple of feet below the siding?

#16 ·
Great to be you!!!!!!

Reactions: etcallhome
#23 ·
Right now it's not, Lumber prices have put a halt on the project as far as the 2nd level goes.. the original price for all the lumber was about $3000, now it's over $5000!!!! So, the bathroom and TV area are out for awhile.... :-(

Reactions: Gizmo2
#21 ·
Looking good. Watcha gonna store in it?

#22 ·
Expedition, 1972 Ford F250 high boy, John Deere 2032R, John Deere Z950, batting cage, 1/2 basketball court and a bunch of tools scattered throughout the property and ME! ;-)
Sky Cloud Plant Slope Tree
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Sky Cloud Asphalt Road surface Tree
Plant Sky Land lot Road surface Asphalt

#25 ·
So, I had to have surgery and things have been moving very slow, but finally have the floor packed, and the thermal barrier, insulation, and lite bar down and tied together. (Pink insulation on the wall are just extras) I only have 3 more runs of Pex tubing to tie down and I'll be ready for the floor to be poured next week. So, I have started to look at staining ideas? Anyone with Experience on this?
Thanks.

#28 · (Edited)
still working on the garage.. Steel Ceiling and lights are all up, although not finished. have to put hooks for safety changes and tie up cords. 2nd level is framed and subfloor down, but no stairs yet, and working on getting it insulated! Still don't have the water hooked up to run the heated floor, tractor not working and no backhoe... No way I'm using a shovel! :p and you can see my helper.

Attachments

#29 ·
Looking Good (y) (y)

Reactions: tiahuana
#32 ·
I'm putting together a lot of details about it, the bids the companies used the basic price points. what I did myself.. it's coming.

#33 ·
Are you in an area that gets any snow?

#34 ·
we used to, but not much anymore. We have gotten about 1foot total this year, but that's over 3 storms.

#35 · (Edited)
DETAILS-
Here are some details.
60x40x18 building is a Lester building, built by J&W Construction (great guys, would recommend for sure) Pre-Covid Deposit. He did charge me a little more than agreed upon because they had to do a lot of jackhammering when they drilled the holes. Gutters, wainscoting, Steel walk in door and a few other minor requests $50K

I did the dirt work, pulling from the surrounding area and digging into the slope to make it level, then AFTER the building was up, I filled in with Rock and sand about 10-12" on top of the dirt to bring the floor up to where it needed to be. On top of the dirt 2" Polystyrene foam to insulate the floor $3500 (100 sheets, and 5 rolls of 6 mil plastic for walls\ceiling\floor). LiteBar rebar for reinforcement ($2000) 1 ft on center, and ran my pex on top of the rebar (heated floor setup separate). Concrete Floor was poured and finished by Frontier Concrete Construction, LLC, he used a pump truck which made it pretty easy to pour. 40 yards roughly $10K, I did all the setup and sealed the floor.

Garage Doors were installed before the floor to keep other peoples animals out of the shop. Purchased from Raynor in Kansas City, and installed by them. 2 - 10' with high lift rails and side opener (LiftMaster 8500W) and 1 - 14 foot door standard opener(LiftMaster 8587W). All with wifi and remote capabilities. roughly $8000

Electrical Panel from the pole to the building into a 200 amp panel, $400, I dug the trench when I put in the Propane line and the insert for the water line.
Then I did all the wiring, putting 2 outlets on every main support pole, basically every 10' around the building. I also put up 9 200W High bay LED's, 3 in a row, and I put each row on a light switch so I can turn them on/off as needed and not needing all of them on. I used a full 750' of 14-3 electrical wire on the building, all metal 2 gang surface mounted outlet boxes, and 2 way light switches, 3- 25 watt LED 3000 Lumen exterior nightlights on the sides and back of the building, along with 3- 25 watt LED 3000 Lumen exterior lights on the front of the building between the garage doors. Total cost of Electrical supplies except panel above and breakers, $3500 (Steel building so I can't get Cell or Internet to transmit through, so this also includes a Unifi point to point system to beam wifi into the building and a Unifi POE switch and cameras to put a good internet signal through the entire building.

I also installed a 2nd level, 12' x 40' with a floor height of 10' giving me 9' ceiling height below and just under 8' on the top level for ceiling height. I built this out of 2x10's roughly 12" on center. I wanted this sturdy. Planning on putting bathroom on the 2nd level in the future, along with an office, and who knows by the time this is done, the wife might be done with me and I'll have to put a bedroom out there! Lumber costs at the end of the 1st round of Covid, $4500 No stairs yet, I got cheap, and lumber kept going up!

Steel Ceiling $2900 for the steel, $1000 for the lumber and bracket to reinforce the rafters, while doing this I had to temp suspend the garage door tracts and openers then go back and rest them, so a bit of extra work, but it was worth it to keep the neighbors animal out of the shop while I was working on the floor!

Roughly $1000 in treated 2x6's (70 i believe) for 'Rat guard' around the base of the building.

Insulation. I used the left over 30 sheets of 2" polystyrene against the exterior steel on the North wall, then purchased SilverCote R-25 Post Frame Insulation 6'x60' (5) and 4'x60' (7) roles, I intend on putting spray foam in the walls with plumbing (yet to be done) This cost is roughly about $5800. (almost finished, 1 40' wall is not complete)

2 50' long steel curtain tracks and steel rollers, to mount my daughters 15' wide by 50' long Pitching and Hitting cage. $$ too much. :) (not installed yet)

$30 for old basketball goal on Purplewave for the kid, then some time to modify it. $150 for lumber and bolts to reinforce the wall and to hang it.

What's LEFT - ??
$1500 loose fill insulation for the attic
$1500 2x4's to go over the interior wall insulation
$3500 wall steel and trim
$2500 to stain and polish the floor.
Bathroom?
Cabinets?
Beer Fridge?
Fire Pit?
this is a pieced together picture I did before the project began to show the wife what I wanted to do. (she's visual..)
Land lot Grass Wood Landscape Tints and shades

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.