Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have searched the internet on multiple occasions to find answers, but nothing directly gets me what I need. I have a 1966-67 JD 1020 with manual steering that is becoming very stiff to the point that I hesitate using it. I have greased everything that I am aware of, but would like to know what it would take to install power steering. I have seen the "kits" that consist of hydraulic pumps and cylinders that attach to the draglinks. I have not heard anything about these add ons, good or bad. I am wanting something more "factory". I believe my tractor has closed center hydraulics. Serial number is 061614. Can I replace the manual steering column with a power unit without a lot of parts? How would I plumb the hydraulic pressure lines? Would I need additional valves, etc.? Just trying to determine the best way to accomplish this. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Exactly WHICH 5065E unit do you have --- TIER III (muffler exits on left side of hood) or TIER IV (muffler exits on right side of hood) ??

Check my posts over the last few years about hydraulic overheating problems on 5065E TIER III models. Been through it all --- hissing, overheating hydraulics, burned fuel tanks ( 2 of 'em), burnt hydraulic -transmission oil, failed rockshaft & 3 point lift

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Exactly WHICH 5065E unit do you have --- TIER III (muffler exits on left side of hood) or TIER IV (muffler exits on right side of hood) ??

Check my posts over the last few years about hydraulic overheating problems on 5065E TIER III models. Been through it all --- hissing, overheating hydraulics, burned fuel tanks ( 2 of 'em), burnt hydraulic -transmission oil, failed rockshaft & 3 point lift
I think you replied to incorrect post as 1020 has closed center hyd's & 5065E has open center hyd's.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,822 Posts
Hello everyone. I have searched the internet on multiple occasions to find answers, but nothing directly gets me what I need. I have a 1966-67 JD 1020 with manual steering that is becoming very stiff to the point that I hesitate using it. I have greased everything that I am aware of, but would like to know what it would take to install power steering. I have seen the "kits" that consist of hydraulic pumps and cylinders that attach to the draglinks. I have not heard anything about these add ons, good or bad. I am wanting something more "factory". I believe my tractor has closed center hydraulics. Serial number is 061614. Can I replace the manual steering column with a power unit without a lot of parts? How would I plumb the hydraulic pressure lines? Would I need additional valves, etc.? Just trying to determine the best way to accomplish this. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
Welcome to GTT
Power steering could be added by installing the factory type valve assembly from a donor tractor. One would also need to change hyd supply line from pump to clutch housing.

Click here → → Remanufactured Power Steering units are available.

You'll need to supply pressured oil to the power steering unit via the high pressure supply line from the main hydraulic pump.

In the drawing below, you'll need to install a supply line fitting and o-ring(#10, #11), where the plastic plug is located(see Red Arrow in photo).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a photo of the factory installed Power Steering supply line(Red Arrow below). Since your tractor was built without Power Steering, you'll need to Tap into the supply line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is the Oil Supply drawing. Line #100 is the high pressure supply line, from the main hydraulic pump, to the Pressure Control Valve(PCV).
Line #36 is the Oil Supply line to the Power Steering unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you for your knowledge getting my project started. However, if my tractor does not have a pressure control valve, what is the result if I add a new power steering column and plumb it in to the pressure side of the hydraulics? How would the fluid (if any) be returned to the system? This is where my knowledge becomes limited. Would there be enough pressure to operate the unit effectively since there would not be a dedicated pump to pressurize the steering column, only tapping into a pressurized line operating the tractors hydraulics. Apologies for asking so many questions, but I do not want spend a lot of money ($800+) and not achieve the desired results of a usable power steering system.

TxJim, I just reread your post: One would also need to change hyd supply line from pump to clutch housing. Can you please elaborate on this?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
TxJim, I just reread your post: One would also need to change hyd supply line from pump to clutch housing. Can you please elaborate on this?
flyweight has already posted a drawing on where added power steering receives it's hyd supply oil from. I reposted his drawing. 1020's without factory closed center power steering utilize a 90° fitting(key 11 2nd photo) in lieu of pressure control valve. Hyd line(key 31) is for manual steering & hyd line(key 32) is for CC power steering. If you decided to install closed center power steering without installing pressure control valve then power steering would operate but would not have priority oil pressure over other hyd functions similar to tractors with pressure control valve. PC valve can be added at additional expense.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
One last question, will I need have any return lines for the oil coming into the steering unit? I have read older posts that indicate drilling into the case, but is this necessary as I don't have a power unit, only manual.

Thanks again for everyone's help! Great site and great folks.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,822 Posts
Tractors without factory power steering will not have a pressure control valve.
Dang-it, Jim. I forgot about that. :banghead:
We didn't see too many non-power steering tractors in our parts.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
One last question, will I need have any return lines for the oil coming into the steering unit? I have read older posts that indicate drilling into the case, but is this necessary as I don't have a power unit, only manual.

Thanks again for everyone's help! Great site and great folks.
Power steering hyd oil returns to sump via a galley cast into clutch housing. Clutch housing for tractors less hyd reverser appears to have same part number up to serial number -092347

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Dang-it, Jim. I forgot about that. :banghead:
We didn't see too many non-power steering tractors in our parts.
Even a ""blind squirrel"" can find an acorn every once in a while.:laugh:

There weren't many manual steering new utility tractors of that era sold in my area either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts