Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1020 diesel and the power steering went out while using it to rake hay. It would turn to the left fine but there was no assist to the right. Eventually there was no power assist in either direction. I still have loader hydraulics, 3 point, and the remote still works. There is plenty of fluid and the only thing hydraulic that does not work is the power steering. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,753 Posts
Rayhay,

Welcome to GTT.

Sounds to me the O -Rings(#4) in the steering valve are leaking internally. You'll need to remove the steering housing to replace to O-Rings.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I agree with flyweight that the 6 0-rings could have failed but one needs to know if your 1020 has open or closed center power steering to properly diagnose power steering problems. Is your tractors serial # below or above SN 045,199?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My SN was worn off when I got the tractor. Is there a way to tell whether it is an open or closed system?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Look at RH front of engine if your tractor has OC power steering there will be a gear pump mounted to timing cover IE no pump then CC power steering

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at RH front of engine if your tractor has OC power steering there will be a gear pump mounted to timing cover IE no pump then CC power steering
I do not see a pump. Only main hydraulic pump off front of engine

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
If no pump is visible on RH frt of engine timing cover then your 1020 PS must be closed center type. Ditto what Flyweight stated about failed o-rings or possible steering valve failure(shown in photo below).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I can't answer your question because I don't remember ever witnessing that part disassembled. I hope you made good notes or photo of shim locations on steering shaft because correct shimming determines correct valve operation/.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: The o rings did not appear to be failed. Both valves were stuck. I drove them out with a punch then cleaned the plunger and ran a drill in the hole to clean it out to get them moving freely. I did change my hydraulic filter and fluid and found some shavings in the bottom of the filter housing. I am assuming something is starting to come apart and the shavings got into the valves and boogered them up. I flushed it out with some diesel and put it all back together with a new seal kit and everything is working great! I agree with you text Jim, be very careful taking apart. There are a lot of shims and other pieces that must be in the correct order. Thank you both for your help!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Thanks for update & you're welcome. Due to the fact you located metal shavings in hyd sump I'll suggest for you to remove rear axle housings to check for failed brake pads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could it be the hydraulic pump?i haven’t had any brake issues and I noticed yesterday that my 3 point arms come up slow and jumpy and the remote was very slow trying to lift the hay rake

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,753 Posts
Thanks for update & you're welcome. Due to the fact you located metal shavings in hyd sump I'll suggest for you to remove rear axle housings to check for failed brake pads.
I agree.
Did you remove and clean the sump screen(#30 in diagram below) while the oil was drained.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I feel dumb. I didn’t even think about the screen. The power steering is starting to act up again already so I guess I’m going to have to tear into the rear end? I will pull the screen though and see what’s in there

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
In order to check screen you will need to drain hyd oil or insert hose nozzle of an operating shop vacuum into hyd filler hole opening with remainder of hyd oil filer hole blocked off with shop towel so as create a vacuum so only a small amount of oil will be lost. I'll also advise to check hyd pump stand-by pressure which should be 2250 psi.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
I was having problems with my 1020 gas with the hitch raising slowly and no power steering and traced the problem to water in my hydraulic fluid. My boots on my gear shift knobs were cracked and rain was getting in thru there. I changed the boots and flushed the fluid twice and still had problems. Then someone on GTT pointed out the sump filter screen. I bought a replacement and more fluid and change it and the old screen was clogged and actually rusty and since then no more problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update. Steering valves were stuck again. Got them freed up and changed the fluid, filter, and pulled the sump screen which didn’t have hardly anything on it. Lots of glitter in the oil. Also still no hydraulics. Power steering hardly has any assist and 3 point arms barely move. I am thinking the hydraulic pump has failed. Thoughts?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,753 Posts
Glitter in the oil usually mean the brake pads have failed(disintegrated) and the brake plate is contacting the disc metal-to-metal.
This will cause the transmission pump gears to wear and not supply the main pump with sufficient GPM's. The glitter will contaminant the entire hydraulic system.

Click here for an example.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts