Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early (1967) 1020 with open center hydraulics. It's equipped with power steering, but it doesn't work since I've owned it (about 2 years). No power assist at all.
I've removed the ps pump, and it seems to be in good shape, everything tight, but the shop manual indicates there should be a ball in the metering relief valve between the spring and the valve. The removal/repair section mentions checking the ball, but parts diagrams don't show the ball. The diagram for the metering operation does show the ball between the spring and the valve. If anyone has any experience with these ps pumps, any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Roger

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Welcome to GTT
Can you post a photo of the metering relief valve in your tech manual? Is your tech manual published by JD or I&T?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, TX Jim. My manual is from Peaceful Creek. I've tried for a couple hours now to download a photo of the picture of the metering relief valve from the manual, but I guess I'm just not technologically proficient enough to do it. I could send it to you via private email if it would help.
Thanks,
Roger

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Here's 1 of the photos from tech manual you sent me showing the ball that's not listed in 1020 parts catalog or present in your tractors power steering pump.. Maybe someone has witnessed this problem before.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I would be tempted to order key 7 and see if the ball in part of the assembly (inside key 7) P/N AR39100

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to a dealer today, see what help they can give me. Checking the price for #7 (metering valve)--it's over $200--so I'd rather find some solid information about it first.
Roger

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Going to a dealer today, see what help they can give me. Checking the price for #7 (metering valve)--it's over $200--so I'd rather find some solid information about it first.
Roger
I'm curious if you can purchase a new metering valve because my JD parts cart shows NLA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dealer couldn't help, though he agreed that according to the manual there should be a relief ball in the metering valve. And of course the valve is obsolete, so they coudn't compare it to a new one. The good news is, this morning I took the driven gear off the input shaft of the pump and found that the half moon key was broken, allowing the shaft to spin in the gear. So theoretically, my pump should work when I reassemble it. I'm still a little worried about the metering valve, but if I can't get any more information on the relief ball, I'll just put it back together & see what happens. At least I have a concrete reason why the pump didn't work. Thanks for the advice & help,
Roger
Also, I had checked a couple of aftermarket places and the valve was listed, but at close to $300. The dealer said it was unavailable.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
You can buy steel balls if you can determine the size. I lost a couple from a quick coupler. Dealer did not have them in stock. I was able to buy them from Menards in their specialty hardware section. I needed 1/4" IIRC

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For anyone following this thread, here's an update: as I mentioned earlier, I found the cause of the ps pump not working was the woodruff key on the driven gear was broken, allowing the shaft to spin inside the gear. I wondered about the apparent need for the relief ball for the metering valve, and couldn't find anyone with experience with these. This morning I was able to take the metering valve apart and found that the ball is inside the metering valve, not outside as it appears on the diagram. Mine was intact, but a little dirty, so I cleaned it and will replace the .25 diameter ball that looked a little worn. I'll check Menards first for that. Looking forward to getting it all back together now.
Thanks for the help from those of you who replied.
Roger

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Those parts drawings can be confusing. Menards has the .250 diameter steel balls in hardware department. JD also has them.

For Menards the SKU number is 2029127 $0.49 for two. Ask a clerk to help find them, they can look up the SKU number and their computer tells where they are.

I needed some for a quick coupler ( I lost a few, my fault :banghead:) JD dealer did not have in stock, but Menards did :good2:

Reactions: A65Thor

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Zebrafive, I picked up the .25 steel balls at Menards today, as you dscribed. Looking forward to getting it back together now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more follow up

For anyone following this thread, I reassembled the ps pump with new woodruff key and got it back on the tractor today. Power steering works perfectly now, so all it cost was several hours and a $.55 part. Happy ending. Again, thanks to those who helped with advice.
Roger

1 - 18 of 18 Posts