Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I was able to source me a complete dual valve setup for my '66 1020 tractor at a bargain of a price. got everything from the double SCVs to the lines and the qd's. My question is about the type of quick disconnects that I am getting. I am used to seeing the quick disconnects that have the locking levers on them like the ones on our 4020, see the pictures below. But the setup I am getting does not have the levers, just a bracket that holds two female couplers. What's the difference between the two quick disconnect couplers? Is one better than the other? Looking through the parts catalogue, both were options on the 1020. I just no idea what the difference is. Thanks

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Breakaway coupler in 2nd photo is the cheaper version. If it was my tractor I'd prefer the less complicated cheaper version because of less locations to leak hyd oil. I wonder if your female receptacle is designed for JD old or new(ISO) style male coupler tips. The bracket that holds breakaway fits 20- some 55 series utility tractors

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure which style it is yet. They haven't arrived yet. Is there an easy way to distinguish between the two by looking at them? I had a thought to just replace the receptacles when I go to installing them. Does it matter which new ones I put on? One style leak less than the other? Over the years i've just accepted the fact that hydraulic outlets will be messy to deal with regardless of what you are trying to do.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
The more expensive/complicated (top pictures) are called breakaway couplers. The less expensive (lower pictures) are called quick couplers. The only "breakaway" with them would be the hose 🤑

The quick couplers could be either Old JD style, or ISO style. I am not sure when the change took place. My 1974 2030 has the old JD style.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait, the other ones don't breakaway? ......Good god that would be one hell of a mess. Maybe i'll keep an eye out for the actual breakaway couplers in the meantime. I got an incredibly good deal on all of this so I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
The similar type breakaways on my Kubota M7040 are the push in to attach & pull male tip/hose out to disconnect. I seen some JD similar couplers labeled "quick disconnect".

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
The more expensive/complicated (top pictures) are called breakaway couplers. The less expensive (lower pictures) are called quick couplers. The only "breakaway" with them would be the hose 🤑

The quick couplers could be either Old JD style, or ISO style. I am not sure when the change took place. My 1974 2030 has the old JD style.
50 & 55 series had ISO type breakaways/male tips while 10-40 series had JD style tips.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
50 & 55 series had ISO type breakaways/male tips while 10-40 series had JD style tips.
Thanks, I saw both offered in the 1020 parts catalog, so I thought maybe a change back then. My 2030 has the breakaway couplers with the lever on the bottom that uses the old style tips.

I am told very expensive (tractor side) to buy now 🤑 I am lucky mine has TWO! One always has hose to the Multi-coupler for the grapple. The other never gets used. I do have new in the package "old style" male tips if I ever need them.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
The similar type breakaways on my Kubota M7040 are the push in to attach & pull male tip/hose out to disconnect. I seen some JD similar couplers labeled "quick disconnect".
TxJim, did the old JD version, like for his 1020 "breakaway" like the Kubota version?
I was thinking you had to manually move the outer ring of the tractor side to couple or uncouple :unsure:

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Wait, the other ones don't breakaway? ......Good god that would be one hell of a mess. Maybe i'll keep an eye out for the actual breakaway couplers in the meantime. I got an incredibly good deal on all of this so I couldn't pass it up.
I'll bet very expensive if you can find any.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll bet very expensive if you can find any.
You can find em, but yes they are generally $400-500 each. At least the ones I have seen. This surprises me too, with as many tractors as these were mounted on. I won't be looking any time soon.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
TxJim, did the old JD version, like for his 1020 "breakaway" like the Kubota version?
I was thinking you had to manually move the outer ring of the tractor side to couple or uncouple :unsure:
I don't know the answer because I don't remember ever seeing any of the cheaper type breakaways in person.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
I don't know the answer because I don't remember ever seeing any of the cheaper type breakaways in person.
I dug out my JD 2030 Owner Manual. It states to remove the hose you must push the knurled ring forward. It caution these are not breakaway couplers and damage could result if the implement becomes detached from the tractor.
It also stated for breakaway couplers, pull hose to remove and the lever will automatically return to the rear. I have had hoses get pulled out and my lever did not return to the rear. Oil really sprayed when I activated the SCV 🤬

1 - 13 of 13 Posts