Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 1020 Deere. The handle for the 3point just snapped off the end of the shaft. I’ve put penetrating oil, rust penetrant WD 40 on it and vice grips. This thing is stuck good. I took the bolts out of the AT20198.A Quadrant Assembly and when I moved it the arms function fine. Does anyone know of a way to unfreeze this rusted shaft without taking the rockshaft housing off? 20181030_073031.jpg 20181030_073025.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,091 Posts
Applying heat and a good penetrating oil in multiple heat/cool cycles is about the only thing you can do externally. If that is unsuccessful then the next approach would have to be with the rockshaft cover removed.

Reactions: FormulaB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Applying heat and a good penetrating oil in multiple heat/cool cycles is about the only thing you can do externally. If that is unsuccessful then the next approach would have to be with the rockshaft cover removed.
I thought about heat. But what about the seals?

·
Premium Member
13,091 Posts
I thought about heat. But what about the seals?
Looking at that shaft the seals are probably the least of your worries. What part are you wanting to replace? I assume it is the shaft with the tip broke off. Doesn't that shaft extend into the rockshaft cover? Meaning, you'll need to take the cover off anyway to replace the shaft.

I'm having trouble finding a 1020 parts illustration that matches your photo.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Ditto plus I failed to locate any seal on rockshaft control shaft. Only oil in that area would have to be splashed by ring gear unless rockshaft control valve seals were leaking which means RS housing would require R&R to replace those control valve seals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at that shaft the seals are probably the least of your worries. What part are you wanting to replace? I assume it is the shaft with the tip broke off. Doesn't that shaft extend into the rockshaft cover? Meaning, you'll need to take the cover off anyway to replace the shaft.

I'm having trouble finding a 1020 parts illustration that matches your photo.
Thank to my local Deere dealer....here is the illustration and new part number. AL33044 View attachment AL33044 1020 Deere.pdf

·
Registered
972 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! Looking at your photo, it appears your oil is milky which indicates contamination with water. I recommend you change the fluid. Water contamination wreaks havoc with the brakes. Will probably require changing multiple times to get it cleared out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you got it fixed! Looking at your photo, it appears your oil is milky which indicates contamination with water. I recommend you change the fluid. Water contamination wreaks havoc with the brakes. Will probably require changing multiple times to get it cleared out.
I have already priced it...they are proud of HY-Gard

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I had water in mine a while back I traced it to the boots around the shift levers. If they are cracked they leak right into the housing. it took me three flush and fills including changing the tranny filter and cleaning the sump screen three times. I just used the fluid from Farm and fleet and I mixed 20% ATF Fluid fuel with it and a little desiel. Then the last fill I just used the HY guard. good luck

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Premium Member
3,977 Posts
I had water in mine a while back I traced it to the boots around the shift levers. If they are cracked they leak right into the housing. it took me three flush and fills including changing the tranny filter and cleaning the sump screen three times. I just used the fluid from Farm and fleet and I mixed 20% ATF Fluid fuel with it and a little desiel. Then the last fill I just used the HY guard. good luck
Biggest problem with old tractor transmissions was water inside them freezing and busting stuff. The water gets in thru the cheap $2.00 Boot holding it out. Runs right down the shifter and past the boot into the Tranny. I have found almost a gallon of water in on 8N Tractor once! Check your boots for cracks and loose fit and change them out if not good. Cheap fix compared to not doing it and repairing the transmission and other gear boxes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts