Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 1023E
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1023E, and I want to do the 180deg thermostat mod. Diesels are heat machines and the higher temp should mean just a skosh more power and maybe smoother running(?). The stock thermostat for both the 1023E and the 1025R is M811895. The M812140 thermostat (182 degree) is the correct alternate for the M811895 for the 1025r, but it’s not shown as an alternate for the 1023E.

Has anybody done this mod? Does anybody know why it wouldn’t work or why i shouldn’t do this? I use the tractor mainly for arena grooming and light field work, and the only time i’ve ever seen the needle move off the pin is before the t’stat opens and the end of a heavy (thoroughly moist dg) grooming session.

·
Registered
931 Posts
If the stock is the same, that means the optional will have the same physical dimensions as the stock so I see no reason it will not work in the 1023E. I did the conversion several years back on my 1026R and I am very happy with the additional Heat I get in my cab in the winter.

Reactions: kylew

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
If you go to the John Deere parts catalog and search by Part Number, instead of Model of Machine, the application of the searched part number is listed for all John Deere products which use that same part number. As you stated, there is no alternate thermostat listed for the 1023e. However, the parts book also lists the stock size for both the 1023e, 1025r and 1026r as the same, so physically, the higher temp theromostat should fit into the 1023e housing as the 1025r uses both the standard and higher temp thermostat in that housing.

Search the part numbers using the Part Number search and the M812140 shows fitting 56 different applications, just not the 1023e, which sort of defies logic, since it fits all of the other small Yanmar's used in Garden Tractors and SCUTS.......

Try the M812140 and see if it fits and works. I don't see why it wouldn't or shouldn't........
$33.50 for a thermostat is................premium money as you would expect from Deere..........

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Logo

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
2014 1023E
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you go to the John Deere parts catalog and search by Part Number, instead of Model of Machine, the application of the searched part number is listed for all John Deere products which use that same part number. As you stated, there is no alternate thermostat listed for the 1023e. However, the parts book also lists the stock size for both the 1023e, 1025r and 1026r as the same, so physically, the higher temp theromostat should fit into the 1023e housing as the 1025r uses both the standard and higher temp thermostat in that housing.

Search the part numbers using the Part Number search and the M812140 shows fitting 56 different applications, just not the 1023e, which sort of defies logic, since it fits all of the other small Yanmar's used in Garden Tractors and SCUTS.......

Try the M812140 and see if it fits and works. I don't see why it wouldn't or shouldn't........
$33.50 for a thermostat is................premium money as you would expect from Deere..........

View attachment 780951
Thanks, Sulley. I’m kinda new to JDs website so thanks for sharing the search tip. I’ve decided to hold off on this mod for now and monitor the temp into the summer. If I still think I could run safely with the hotter t’stat I’ll change it out before winter. My next repair Is to replace the brake plates and disks. Looking forward to / not looking forward to that one.

·
Super Moderator
3,618 Posts
You should be able to install the 180 stat no problem. In the summer you probably wouldn't notice any difference on the temp gauge but you will in the winter. I have the 180 stat and that's what I notice.

·
Premium Member
18,028 Posts
Thanks, Sulley. I’m kinda new to JDs website so thanks for sharing the search tip. I’ve decided to hold off on this mod for now and monitor the temp into the summer. If I still think I could run safely with the hotter t’stat I’ll change it out before winter. My next repair Is to replace the brake plates and disks. Looking forward to / not looking forward to that one.

???? I have over 600 hrs on my 1025 living on a hillside, so usually going down a hill is normal. I can't remember the last time I used the break pedal to go down a hill. So just wondering why you think you need to replace the brake plates and disks.

🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2014 1023E
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can’t park it on any kind of slope without it rolling unless I set the bucket down. You’re right, I never use the brake when in gear either. It’s when it’s out of gear I want the brake. PO was a retired gent that musta forgotten to release the brake more than a few times.

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
206 Posts
What is the stock temp thermostat? If its less than 180, I would be curious why you would want to increase it. At least in Alabama, I wouldn't for using it in the summer. My 2305 struggled with the 54 in deck and cutting thick grass in the mid day part of the summer.

·
Super Moderator
3,618 Posts
The stock stat is 160°.

·
Registered
2014 1023E
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The thermostat really only sets the lowest operating temperature. So the two thermostats would allow the same flow and cooling above the operating temp of the thermostats. A diesel operates by compressing the intake air which heats it. When the fuel is injected into that hot air it combusts. So the warmer engine temp supports that process though it really only has that effect over the 'in-between' temperature range. My guess is that my heart will be the only part of me that can tell the difference. As sullybear noted it's an expensive purchase for that level of benefit though I'll probably splurge when I get around to changing my radiator fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts