Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and for my second post, another question:) I'll try to post some pics or a video of my tractor.

I have the ballast box attached and filled, packed tightly with damp dirt.
It will slowly drop even if I tighten the locking valve under the seat all the way snug. When running I have to occasionally raise the box.
Is this normal or do I have an issue I should get checked? The valve does seem to work
as it affects how quickly the 3 point hydraulics raise and lower the box.

thanks

Rich

·
Administrator
20,902 Posts
and for my second post, another question:) I'll try to post some pics or a video of my tractor.

It will slowly drop even if I tighten the locking valve under the seat all the way snug. When running I have to occasionally raise the box.
Is this normal or do I have an issue I should get checked? The valve does seem to work

thanks

Rich
The rate of drop valve is just that. It's supposed to regulate how fast the 3PH can come down. If you have it closed all the way and your 3PH still drifts down, then it's leaking by. I would have a chat with your dealer. If it's not closed off completely, some drooping over time is normal. The big question is how fast. You shouldn't have to raise the 3PH to compensate for droop every few minutes, but a couple of times while you're operating the tractor would be considered normal.

Keep your questions coming! You're one of us now.:drinks:

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I agree with DS, it shouldn't sag very much over time. I would have the dealer look into it.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with DS, it shouldn't sag very much over time. I would have the dealer look into it.
Its probably ok then. It will take maybe 30 min to sag to the ground, I've gotten in the habit of raising it a few times while running.

thanks for the responses

rich

·
Registered
8 Posts

thanks

Rich
The 1023E does not have 3 point position control, so the only way to stop the issue of your arms dropping is to close the rate of drop valve.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have positional control, but I would think that the 1023 should keep the arms up when running with no loss of height. Mine falls overnight when NOT running. Something seems wrong if it falls while you are running.

Reactions: PJR832 and 5304

·
Administrator
20,902 Posts
I have positional control, but I would think that the 1023 should keep the arms up when running with no lose of height. Mine falls overnight when NOT running. Something seems wrong if it falls while you are running.
A position control 3PH like the one you have on your tractor will keep the hitch where you designate it to be with the control lever if it's working ok. The 1023E doesn't have a position control hitch. It uses a "Select Control" which is just an up/stop/down lever just like the loader joystick. You move the hitch by moving the lever in the direction you want the hitch to go, release it when it gets to where you want. So if there's an issue, the hitch will drift on it's own.

·
Registered
517 Posts
yeah, something's wrong.. I have a 1023 and my ballast box doesn't drop one bit when the tractor is running..

Reactions: PJR832 and 5304

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah, something's wrong.. I have a 1023 and my ballast box doesn't drop one bit when the tractor is running..
Hmmm my dealer shrugged it off and told me I need close the rate of drop valve on my 1023 so I never questioned it. Does anyone here know if it is a problem if it seeps while the tractor is running?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Hmmm my dealer shrugged it off and told me I need close the rate of drop valve on my 1023 so I never questioned it. Does anyone here know if it is a problem if it seeps while the tractor is running?
No, call them back again. This is not normal. It really caught my eye when you said it would drift all the way down in 30 mins. while the tractor is running. When I had the 1023E, the 3PH would drift over time, but only maybe an inch or so all day (4-5 hours) while running. Overnight when I put it to bed, it would drift all the way down.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is this normal for a ballast box. It's bouncing every few seconds. I have it loaded and about every 3-5 seconds it drops (hardly noticeable) then bounces. I have a video but can't figure out how to attach it.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
Is this normal for a ballast box. It's bouncing every few seconds. I have it loaded and about every 3-5 seconds it drops (hardly noticeable) then bounces. I have a video but can't figure out how to attach it.
You can't upload videos here - must be hosted and linked from places like youtube.

·
Premium Member
12,770 Posts
No, that is not normal. I recall reading about a feedback adjustment or something. Is the tractor still under warranty? Do you have the service manual?

Reactions: PJR832 and Arvada

·
Premium Member
13,670 Posts
A position control 3PH like the one you have on your tractor will keep the hitch where you designate it to be with the control lever if it's working ok. The 1023E doesn't have a position control hitch. It uses a "Select Control" which is just an up/stop/down lever just like the loader joystick. You move the hitch by moving the lever in the direction you want the hitch to go, release it when it gets to where you want. So if there's an issue, the hitch will drift on it's own.
I would think he has an issue, something leaking by somewhere. I have run my 1023 for a couple of straight hours doing FEL work with a 600 lb ballast box on the back and it has never dropped. I understand that some drop is normal over time but my guess is there is at the least a small issue with his.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Arvada

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks all. I did not think this was normal. Is there a potential that this will get worse if I don't get it fixed now?

·
Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Thanks all. I did not think this was normal. Is there a potential that this will get worse if I don't get it fixed now?
No way to know if it will get worse but it's very unlikely to get any better.

·
Registered
502 Posts
No way to know if it will get worse but it's very unlikely to get any better.
Since I am out of warranty (about 2 months) I will just keep an eye on it for now. The dealer is over an hour away and I do not have a trailer yet and may not have one for a while. I really need a backhoe and were looking at around $5K for each. Not willing to spend that much yet. I have been looking at used trailers but there are not a lot for sale in suburbia and none up in the mountains as they most likely go really fast and by word of mouth.

·
Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Since I am out of warranty (about 2 months) I will just keep an eye on it for now. The dealer is over an hour away and I do not have a trailer yet and may not have one for a while. I really need a backhoe and were looking at around $5K for each. Not willing to spend that much yet. I have been looking at used trailers but there are not a lot for sale in suburbia and none up in the mountains as they most likely go really fast and by word of mouth.
Do you have the technical manual for your tractor? The 3PH hitch could be a simple adjustment. At least, that would be the place to start.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Do you have the technical manual for your tractor? The 3PH hitch could be a simple adjustment. At least, that would be the place to start.
Thanks, I'll check the manual when I am up there this weekend. I thought I read somewhere here that there is an adjustment under the seat? Is that correct?

Reactions: PJR832
1 - 20 of 20 Posts