Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search :banghead: and did not want to read through 63 pages of the 50 hour service :hide:, so here is my question:

Does the MMM have to be removed to change the engine oil? A friend with a 1023e asked me to "help" him change the oil.

He bought the tractor used and the local JD dealer confirmed they did the 50 hour service. He has since added 100 hours and wants the engine oil changed.

·
Administrator
20,710 Posts
I suppose you could do it with the mower on, but it would be a pain in the rear to catch the oil without making a mess.

The bigger question is why is this even a question (not for you, as you’re not the owner). The mower is so easy to remove, it’s a non issue. Release the driveshaft, unlock the casters, lower the mower to the ground, unlock the mower latch, engage 4wd, back off the mower. It takes less than a minute. :good2:

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose you could do it with the mower on, but it would be a pain in the rear to catch the oil without making a mess.

The bigger question is why is this even a question (not for you, as you’re not the owner). The mower is so easy to remove, it’s a non issue. Release the driveshaft, unlock the casters, lower the mower to the ground, unlock the mower latch, engage 4wd, back off the mower. It takes less than a minute. :good2:
He did not get a manual with the MMM. So he does not know how to take it off. I am not sure if it's auto connect either. But if it's that simple, I'll take it off. Thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
He did not get a manual with the MMM. So he does not know how to take it off. I am not sure if it's auto connect either. But if it's that simple, I'll take it off. Thanks!
There is a bunch of youtube videos that will show step by step. Not hard to take off, can be harder to get back on if the deck is not set up correctly. The biggest help is to do it on a hard level surface like a driveway.

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts

·
Administrator
20,710 Posts
The only real difference is whether or not the driveshaft automatically connects/disconnects. All of the decks are drive-over, self latching in the on position. You have to unlatch it to get it to come off. Watching a video or two on YouTube will definitely show you how easy it is rather than trying to explain it here. :good2:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I could think of 6 or 7 grease fittings that should get attention while the deck is off and you guys are at it.

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could think of 6 or 7 grease fittings that should get attention while the deck is off and you guys are at it.
On the tractor? Deck? Or both?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
On the tractor? Deck? Or both?
One on each u-joint of the driveshaft for the front axle.
Three on the driveshaft for the mower deck.
One on each u-joint for the engine to hydro unit.
One on each end of the steering cylinder.
One on each mower blade spindle.

Looks like that makes twelve?
Working from memory here, somebody please correct if I am wrong.
Also have a look at the oil level in the gearbox on the mowing deck, they seem to be pretty pricy if you burn one up and it's only one pipe plug to have a look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts