Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Does anyone know how many 42 lb suitcase weights you can hang on the front bumper of a 1023/1025?

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
Does anyone know how many 42 lb suitcase weights you can hang on the front bumper of a 1023/1025?
According to the operator's manual - none. You must install the optional weight bracket first. The bracket will then hold (7) weights.

Using Optional Front Weights

LVAL38297-UN-21AUG12

A - Front Weight Bracket

IMPORTANT: Avoid Damage! Do not install weights on front bumper plate, damage to can occur to the front grille. Use optional bolt-on weight bracket for front weights.

Front weight bracket (A) is an optional bolt-on to the machine frame. The bracket will hold up to seven Quick-Tatch™ weights.

Each weight is 19 kg (42 lb).

·
Premium Member
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the operator's manual - none. You must install the optional weight bracket first. The bracket will then hold (7) weights.

Using Optional Front Weights

LVAL38297-UN-21AUG12

A - Front Weight Bracket

IMPORTANT: Avoid Damage! Do not install weights on front bumper plate, damage to can occur to the front grille. Use optional bolt-on weight bracket for front weights.

Front weight bracket (A) is an optional bolt-on to the machine frame. The bracket will hold up to seven Quick-Tatch weights.

Each weight is 19 kg (42 lb).

I read that too but when I talked to the dealer he told me that the bumper was designed for weights. I told him what the book said and he kind of shrugged. I was just trying to find out if anyone has hung them without the bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
For the sake of conversation. When I was looking at front ballast options after getting my rear finish mower which weights over 500lbs. When I would lift the mower with no front weight. I could literally lift the front of the tractor off the ground and tip it back till the mower touched haha!. So I absolutely needed front ballast. I looked into the front weights and bought one weight to see how it fit. You can run the weights all along the front without the bracket but its really close to the front grill.. I imagine if the weights bounced around you could do some damage. I was really torn with what to do for front weight and decided to try leaving the loader on (no bucket) and see how that was. I was thrilled to discover that it works great and counters that big heavy mower I'm now carrying around out back. Upside is that my loader arms just stay on the machine so I'm good to go for my bucket and forks any time I want them. In addition the mower is fantastic rear ballast for when I'm using the loader or forks as well. I could be wrong. But with a front weight bracket on the machine I don't think you can use your loader can you?. If not, its just another heavy thing to have to deal with before getting work done. Not to mention the cost. Don't know how much weights are were you live but up here each 42lb weight is $80+ tax. With the bracket it would have cost me about $700 to run front weights. I scoured the earth looking for used ones. But they don't exist. At least not where I am. Anyway. If you don't plan to use your loader much and depending of course on what you need the front weight for. Front weights might be what you need. But if you do need your loader lots. Using your loader without a front implement on might be the ticket like it was for me. Doing that saved me a bunch of money and I love having my loader at the ready all the time. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the sake of conversation. When I was looking at front ballast options after getting my rear finish mower which weights over 500lbs. When I would lift the mower with no front weight. I could literally lift the front of the tractor off the ground and tip it back till the mower touched haha!. So I absolutely needed front ballast. I looked into the front weights and bought one weight to see how it fit. You can run the weights all along the front without the bracket but its really close to the front grill.. I imagine if the weights bounced around you could do some damage. I was really torn with what to do for front weight and decided to try leaving the loader on (no bucket) and see how that was. I was thrilled to discover that it works great and counters that big heavy mower I'm now carrying around out back. Upside is that my loader arms just stay on the machine so I'm good to go for my bucket and forks any time I want them. In addition the mower is fantastic rear ballast for when I'm using the loader or forks as well. I could be wrong. But with a front weight bracket on the machine I don't think you can use your loader can you?. If so, its just another heavy thing to have to deal with before getting work done. Not to mention the cost. Don't know how much weights are were you live but up here each 42lb weight is $80+ tax. With the bracket it would have cost me about $700 to run front weights. I scoured the earth looking for used ones. But they don't exist. At least not where I am. Anyway. If you don't plan to use your loader much and depending of course on what you need the front weight for. Using your loader might be the ticket like it was for me. Doing that saved me a bunch of money and I love having my loader at the ready all the time. Just some food for thought.
I know what you mean. So I called the dealer back and asked for one of them that I know personally. You can run weights on the bumper, the manual says not too because of not so smart people that don't secure them and then come back on JD for damage. The plus with the bracket is you can run more weights than without.

·
Premium Member
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
The front "bumper" holds 5 weights.

The problem is, you have to mount them on the outside edges and slide them in towards the center until the last two weights go on, which stay on the edges. You can't put a weight in the middle without damaging the plastic front that protrudes there. People damage that part by trying to jam the weights in the center of the bumper/bracket.

That "bumper" was designed to hold 5 suitcase weights, but as others have said, people damaged the plastic by using it improperly (another sub-optimal design by JD at work) so instead of extending the bumper or recessing the plastic they just added words to the manual. The bean counters said that was the least expensive option. That way, people could still put weights on it and those who didn't think it through and damaged the plastic couldn't demand the dealer fix their mistake.

·
Premium Member
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The front "bumper" holds 5 weights.

The problem is, you have to mount them on the outside edges and slide them in towards the center until the last two weights go on, which stay on the edges. You can't put a weight in the middle without damaging the plastic front that protrudes there. People damage that part by trying to jam the weights in the center of the bumper/bracket.

That "bumper" was designed to hold 5 suitcase weights, but as others have said, people damaged the plastic by using it improperly (another sub-optimal design by JD at work) so instead of extending the bumper or recessing the plastic they just added words to the manual. The bean counters said that was the least expensive option. That way, people could still put weights on it and those who didn't think it through and damaged the plastic couldn't demand the dealer fix their mistake.
Exactly what the last guy at the dealer said, almost word for word. Wait... his name is Mike too...

·
Premium Member
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made a handy video! :)

Yes, I am wearing a bathrobe.

Thanks, and I promise not to judge your attire

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Now I feel older and weaker than before - you handle those weights with one hand like they are nothing!

Nice informative video.
Well I grunted a bit, if that helps. :)

And thank you!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Heavy Hitch front weight bracket 1025R

I purchased a front weight bracket from Heavy Hitch (supporting vendor listed here on GTT). It holds up to (8) 42# or 70# weights.

https://heavyhitch.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HHFB-B-225x150.jpg
:bigthumb: Easy on and off so you can add ballast without cumbersome loader which in many cases is in the way for close quarters maneuvers. The Heavy Hitch front weight bracket is well engineered and easy to use.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
For the sake of conversation. When I was looking at front ballast options after getting my rear finish mower which weights over 500lbs. When I would lift the mower with no front weight. I could literally lift the front of the tractor off the ground and tip it back till the mower touched haha!. So I absolutely needed front ballast. I looked into the front weights and bought one weight to see how it fit. You can run the weights all along the front without the bracket but its really close to the front grill.. I imagine if the weights bounced around you could do some damage. I was really torn with what to do for front weight and decided to try leaving the loader on (no bucket) and see how that was. I was thrilled to discover that it works great and counters that big heavy mower I'm now carrying around out back. Upside is that my loader arms just stay on the machine so I'm good to go for my bucket and forks any time I want them. In addition the mower is fantastic rear ballast for when I'm using the loader or forks as well. I could be wrong. But with a front weight bracket on the machine I don't think you can use your loader can you?. If not, its just another heavy thing to have to deal with before getting work done. Not to mention the cost. Don't know how much weights are were you live but up here each 42lb weight is $80+ tax. With the bracket it would have cost me about $700 to run front weights. I scoured the earth looking for used ones. But they don't exist. At least not where I am. Anyway. If you don't plan to use your loader much and depending of course on what you need the front weight for. Front weights might be what you need. But if you do need your loader lots. Using your loader without a front implement on might be the ticket like it was for me. Doing that saved me a bunch of money and I love having my loader at the ready all the time. Just some food for thought.
I really appreciate this approach. I mow with my 48" rotary cutter between rows of Christmas trees planted a little more than 4 feet apart. I have been using the FEL as ballast and that works, but the bucket is too wide, I have to raise it quite a bit to get it to clear the trees. If I can drop the bucket and just use the loader arms, I should be fine since I believe they are inside the tire widths.

And if that's not quite enough weight to make me comfortable, I guess I can put 5 weights on the front and be good to go.

·
Premium Member
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really appreciate this approach. I mow with my 48" rotary cutter between rows of Christmas trees planted a little more than 4 feet apart. I have been using the FEL as ballast and that works, but the bucket is too wide, I have to raise it quite a bit to get it to clear the trees. If I can drop the bucket and just use the loader arms, I should be fine since I believe they are inside the tire widths.

And if that's not quite enough weight to make me comfortable, I guess I can put 5 weights on the front and be good to go.
This could lead to a second question, do the weights fit with a H120 FEL on the tractor? But so far I appreciate all the feedback, especially the video that Mike posted.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I will add to this conversation. If your tractor is set up to mount the front hitch for a blade or snow blower, then you cannot hang front weights on the tractors front bumper because there is a mount that bolts onto the front bumper.

The best option if you have front hitch is to go with the Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bar. It mounts on the front end using the front hitch mounting brackets. This bar moves the weights farther away from the tractor so they have more effective load and you can mount 8 weights on the bar. There is also a rod that secures the weights onto the bar so there is no chance of them bouncing off.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I will add to this conversation. If your tractor is set up to mount the front hitch for a blade or snow blower, then you cannot hang front weights on the tractors front bumper because there is a mount that bolts onto the front bumper.

The best option if you have front hitch is to go with the Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bar. It mounts on the front end using the front hitch mounting brackets. This bar moves the weights farther away from the tractor so they have more effective load and you can mount 8 weights on the bar. There is also a rod that secures the weights onto the bar so there is no chance of them bouncing off.
I have that bracket also. I take it off for the summer. You just have to make sure it's aligned correctly when you put it back, which isn't hard.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I made a handy video! :)

Yes, I am wearing a bathrobe.

This is exactly how I do it and some times I even add more weight on top of the weights and chain it on using the chain also as weight. But I do want to get the weight bracket that Heavy Hitch has because 8 weights is all I'll ever need and it's easier to put the weights on with it for the front.

This could lead to a second question, do the weights fit with a H120 FEL on the tractor? But so far I appreciate all the feedback, especially the video that Mike posted.

If I remember right the answer is "yes and no". Yes you can put some weights on but not 5. I think you can only put on 2 or 4, I don't remember. I did it once.

·
Premium Member
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is exactly how I do it and some times I even add more weight on top of the weights and chain it on using the chain also as weight. But I do want to get the weight bracket that Heavy Hitch has because 8 weights is all I'll ever need and it's easier to put the weights on with it for the front.

If I remember right the answer is "yes and no". Yes you can put some weights on but not 5. I think you can only put on 2 or 4, I don't remember. I did it once.
That's cool, even 2 or 4 might help. What originally made me start this thread was for my immediate future. This summer when brush hogging the horse pastures I'll want front ballast without the FEL but I do plan on getting the bracket from heavy hitch one day. Just not today, thanks Mike and everyone else for the feedback

1 - 20 of 35 Posts