Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I had an experience I would like to pass on that might help someone else. I recently used my tractor to spread 20 tons of SB2 gravel. While working, I noticed my fuel was on empty so i stopped and filled up the machine. When I tried to start it, it ran rough. I figured it had picked up some air in the fuel even though I hadn't run it dry. It finally started running but every time i put load on the engine it would stall. Just like it was starving for fuel. Well it was. the fuel filter under the left side floor board was blocked. I removed it and could barely blow throw it. I replaced it with a new filter and all is well. I was surprised that a new machine with 70 hours on it would have a blocked fuel filter so early on. Just thought I would share if anyone else has this problem.

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Thanks glad you found your problem. Like you I noticed this winter while blowing snow, rpm would drop 8-1200 rpm and then after a few secs run OK.
Changed that filter , then a couple of weeks later changed the main engine filter. Guess I'm lucky my about 18 mo old and had around 325 hrs. ..
Guess I was real lucky compared to yours and others saying the same thing.
OH isn't it so nice to change that filter. Didn't notice if you have bh if not it is a big PIA to chg with subframe in the way.

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
i didnt treat my fuel during the winter. but i have run 2 tanks thru it.
I buy 20-30 gal at a time using 5 gal cans from a bulk dealer, and I still treat mine summer or winter.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
-I replaced it with a new filter and all is well. I was surprised that a new machine with 70 hours on it would have a blocked fuel filter so early on. Just thought I would share if anyone else has this problem.
Fuel system blockages certainly aren't the fault of the tractor. Maybe you got some fuel right after the truck dumped his delivery or your supplier is getting crappy fuel from some second hand distributor, getting dirt into the tank via broken filler (happened to me with gas), etc. TREAT the fuel regardless, summer and winter, that treatment stuff has ingredients to make low sulpher diesel fuel more appatizing to engines.

The only reason I can think of for the location of that filter is that it is in the lowest part of the fuel system to catch heavy sediments and/or water. I learned on this forum it also is supposed to "protect" the primary fuel pump, but I'd like to see some sort of drain along with the filter at this location.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Mine did that at 40 hours.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts