Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1023E which I purchased used with about 75 hrs on it in March seemed to me to be idling too fast. Around 1500 - 1600 rpm. So I pulled off the cowling and starting adjusting the idle speed set screw. As I started slowing it down the engine vibration got worse and worse, to the point where the whole tractor was shaking and I thought the thing was going to come loose from the engine mounts. So I put it back up to about 1300. Less than what it was but still a lot higher than I thought it should be. At that point the engine vibration is minimal. As you increase rpm to working speeds it runs smoother and smoother. The diesel in my Jeep Grand Cherokee idles at about 600 - 700 rpm. Are these Yanmar engines simply not supposed to idle that slow of is something wrong with this particular engine?

·
Registered
937 Posts
It's the harmonics of a 3 cylinder diesel. I would put the idle speed back up to 15xx but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
From the TM:

Idle speed.JPG

·
Administrator
20,695 Posts
It's a characteristic of a smaller engine. Bigger motors spin slower, small spins faster. For example my 2720 idles at 1000 RPM while full tilt is around 2700 RPM. The 1 series has a smaller engine and runs between 1575 and 3400 RPM.

The 1 series has a fairly prominent harmonic vibration at lower engine speeds due to the combination of the engine and drivetrain that always rotates with the engine. There's nothing you can do to change that. It's the nature of the animal.:good2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the technical info. So back to 1575 on the idle speed. I guess I was comparing it to other diesels I own or previously owned. None idled at such a high speed including the Yanmar 1500D diesel I had previously which was a two cylinder. I guess that's the difference between even and odd number of cylinders.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I know thats what the engine is rated at...but personally, 1500+ idle rpm would drive me nuts...or nuttier:lol: I'd have to take a xanax

·
Administrator
20,695 Posts
I know thats what the engine is rated at...but personally, 1500+ idle rpm would drive me nuts...or nuttier:lol: I'd have to take a xanax
It drove me nuts too. But it becomes normal after a while. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I think I have more of a problem with the full throttle speed than I do with the idle speed. I have had occasion to need to push the throttle speed forward a little bit to get rid of the vibrations.

DAve

·
Registered
313 Posts
I thought it was a bit high too until I read in the manual that's what it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Yeah, it's something old timers have to live with today... These engines ain't Granpa's ol' Macks or Cats. There's something very relaxing about a nice slow idling diesel... it even takes some of the sting out of traffic jams.:laugh:

(Be sure to take that Xnanax in the correctly prescribed manner only!):laugh:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The only other small diesel that I've owned was an 8hp Volvo single cylinder - in a sailboat. It had a compression relief for starting (electric or hand crank) and a massive flywheel. When warm it could idle down to less than 100 rpm.

I'm still getting used to the high rpms of the 1025r, I used to drive semis, they would cruise down the highway at the same rpm that the 1025r idles at.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,475 Posts
The 2008 2320, 24 HP I think has an idle speed of about 1200 RPM
The 1988 650, 17 HP had an idle speed of what ever you wanted it to be, until it stalled of course.
Just figured I'd add this.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I guess this shows what I know.. Or don't know.. This is my 1st diesel anything and I personally think my 1023 idles beautifully at the prescribed factory rpms.. No odd vibrations or body panels shaking around that I've noticed.. Having no other diesel experience I suppose ignorance is bliss as the saying goes!

·
Registered
342 Posts
This little Yanmar can idle lower, Deere has it set at 1500 because of harmonic vibrations due to the low mass of the tractor. When I take off the BH and FEL there is a remarkable increase in the vibrations! I too drive the big rigs and it takes some getting used to a box truck rpm of 2400 @ 65mph coming from a tractor trailer of 1500 @ 65mph. Each engine size and application require different rpm's, I have no issues with the high idle of the 1 series.:thumbup1gif:

Mr. Moose

1 - 15 of 15 Posts