Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 1023e w/ 60" mowing deck last year. when using for first time after about 20 minutes the engine bogged down and would hardly move. turned off PTO and ran fine. I rechecked hydraulic level and it was way over full and foamy. WATER! drained the system replaced filter and cleaned suction screen. it then took about an hour before it lost power. drained and replaced everything again... and once again. no evidence of water but I couldn't run mower for more than about an hour. took it to dealer, they could find n problem. still having the same problem. sometimes I can't get an hour before it starts losing power. I have about 9 acres to mow. I can't do it an hour at a time. I have performed all services recommended. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If the engine is losing rpms then it is likely a fuel issue not a hydraulic issue. Change the fuel filters. Especially the inline filter under left floor board next to fuel tank outlet. The oil will look foamy and overfull if you checked it right after running it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
filters

Check your fuel filters, there are two. The small one under the floorboard has caused similar problems for others. Check the air filter, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there was defiantly water. the RPM's went back up as soon as I turned PTO off. I changed all filters, except under floorboard, didn't know about that one. will do that next. thanks!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I believe the one under the left floor board is the one that usually gets dirty first and causes issues like you're having. After the tractor has sat for a day, does it still look like water in the oil?

·
Registered
590 Posts
took it to dealer, they could find n problem. still having the same problem. [/QUOTE]

Are you saying the dealer didn’t even change or suggest changing all of the filters(fuel, hyd and air)?

WOW! What piss poor mechanics!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
replaced filter under floor board and mowed for an hour before rain stopped me. Ran fine!! will have to finishing mowing tomorrow to be sure but it seems as this was the fix.

i replaced the hydro fluid and filters 3 times and now have no signs of water.

yes, piss pour mechanics at this dealer. have had other issues in the past. I also have a 4310 compact tractor and 1445 front mower. have never needed take tractor in, bought it new and maintained myself. the 1445 was bought used and has had some issues. dealer wanted to replace un necessary parts to fix no existent problems.

after i mow tomorrow, I will update if all is still well.

Thanks again for enlightening me to the second filter. BTW - it was nasty, sure it had to be the problem.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
replaced filter under floor board and mowed for an hour before rain stopped me. Ran fine!! will have to finishing mowing tomorrow to be sure but it seems as this was the fix.

i replaced the hydro fluid and filters 3 times and now have no signs of water.

yes, piss pour mechanics at this dealer. have had other issues in the past. I also have a 4310 compact tractor and 1445 front mower. have never needed take tractor in, bought it new and maintained myself. the 1445 was bought used and has had some issues. dealer wanted to replace un necessary parts to fix no existent problems.

after i mow tomorrow, I will update if all is still well.

Thanks again for enlightening me to the second filter. BTW - it was nasty, sure it had to be the problem.

If it was nasty , sounds like you found your problem.

I believe I would take the fuel filter into the shop foreman and show him the great work his mechanics didn't do....

Really PISS POUR service.

The baby filter is the first thing to change when you have loss of power . I change mine at least once a year, and usually keep 3 or 4 of the baby filters setting on my shelf.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
To be fair.. As a Deere tech, we don't always get the correct info. The techs work order may have said. . runs and cuts off. Ok.. So I set it outside and run it for an hour.. No failure. I drive it around.. No failure. Some some will say.. Can not duplicate customer concern.
Somewhere, maybe.. The correct info given by the customer thru the service writer to the tech was corrupted. So tech got bad info. Happens all the time.
If the work order would have said while mowing for an hour engine bogs down when going up hill. Engines burn more fuel at load. They may run at wide open all day but run at load and it falls on its azz. If the dealership has no area to cut and no dyno.. What do ya do?
On the flip side of that the tech, once they couldn't duplicate, should have investigated further or asked for more info.
As a seasoned tech whenever I see a diesel engine that wont perform I always go for fuel. 99.9% its the crappy fuel or filters. I can check flow...I can check pressures but first I change and inspect filters along with a fuel sample.
Doesn't mean the person is a pizz poor mechanic/tech. It may mean they work for a dealer that doesn't have the infrastructure in place. Not condoning crappy diag...that sux.. Hate part changers. Just saying.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
To be fair.. As a Deere tech, we don't always get the correct info. The techs work order may have said. . runs and cuts off. Ok.. So I set it outside and run it for an hour.. No failure. I drive it around.. No failure. Some some will say.. Can not duplicate customer concern.
Somewhere, maybe.. The correct info given by the customer thru the service writer to the tech was corrupted. So tech got bad info. Happens all the time.
If the work order would have said while mowing for an hour engine bogs down when going up hill. Engines burn more fuel at load. They may run at wide open all day but run at load and it falls on its azz. If the dealership has no area to cut and no dyno.. What do ya do?
On the flip side of that the tech, once they couldn't duplicate, should have investigated further or asked for more info.
As a seasoned tech whenever I see a diesel engine that wont perform I always go for fuel. 99.9% its the crappy fuel or filters. I can check flow...I can check pressures but first I change and inspect filters along with a fuel sample.
Doesn't mean the person is a pizz poor mechanic/tech. It may mean they work for a dealer that doesn't have the infrastructure in place. Not condoning crappy diag...that sux.. Hate part changers. Just saying.

It is no different with electronics servicing. In my operation, we weren't large enough to have a Service Writer or Service Manager. So my techs and myself interacted with the customer directly. Even at that, we'd often get lousy failure symptoms, such as: Broke, Needs repair, Doesn't Work or the favorite of law enforcement "TU". This just added a fair amount of billable time to the repair process as now we were checking ALL the operating parameters to determine what the failure issue was. Even at that, often the issue was intermittent and the failure symptoms were pretty much a necessity then. We always reached out to the customer before returning something with "No Trouble Found" and changing parts as a "guess fix" meant we were working for nothing after that, as we always guaranteed our repairs. It would be a quick path to going broke.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts

If the work order would have said "while mowing for an hour engine bogs down when going up hill". Engines burn more fuel at load. They may run at wide open all day but run at load and it falls on its azz. If the dealership has no area to cut and no dyno.. What do ya do?

Thank you for a great POST. We often see the same "lacking information" here in GTT when someone posts a request for help. Some things as basic as "What machine are we talking about" often has to be asked. But I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone say "the tractor won't run" and the variations can be anything from it won't even turn the engine over to it won't stay running. Huge difference in where to even begin the conversation or the process to repair when the information doesn't even cover the very basics.

Kind of like the "My snow blower doesn't throw the snow as far as I think it should." Are we talking 5 feet or 50 feet? Is it powder snow or liquid slush? Makes a huge difference. And of course, what is the basis for the "standard" as to how far one thinks the snow should be thrown? Is it actual personal experience on comparable equipment or what someone said on a You Tube video?

The more precise the description of the problem, the more accurate and likely helpful the attempts to resolve the issue will become. The following comment from the OP leads me to wonder if there isn't something more going on. He said "Thanks for enlightening me to the second filter. BTW - it was nasty, sure it had to be the problem."

When I hear "nasty", it leads me to wonder if its not more than just the normal filter clogging which comes from normal use.......?? If it is a bacteria problem, he needs to begin an entirely different approach to solving the issue as it will return as soon as this filter plugs with the material. This is where something as simple as a picture of the filter would likely help answer the question if "nasty" was just normal use or something else is actually going on.

Also, we have seen numerous photo's recently of rust inside the fuel tank filler necks on some machines. It appears to have been the result of poor plating of the filler neck part, which is easily changed. Perhaps the material in the filter was some of this, which would also lead to needing to address that issue or the problem will be right back. Nasty could mean another looming issue which still needs to be resolved.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts

It is no different with electronics servicing. In my operation, we weren't large enough to have a Service Writer or Service Manager. So my techs and myself interacted with the customer directly. Even at that, we'd often get lousy failure symptoms, such as: Broke, Needs repair, Doesn't Work or the favorite of law enforcement "TU". This just added a fair amount of billable time to the repair process as now we were checking ALL the operating parameters to determine what the failure issue was. Even at that, often the issue was intermittent and the failure symptoms were pretty much a necessity then. We always reached out to the customer before returning something with "No Trouble Found" and changing parts as a "guess fix" meant we were working for nothing after that, as we always guaranteed our repairs. It would be a quick path to going broke.

Great replies from both of you.

Forgot my years of being a tech and trying to figure out what the customer was complaining about, when I couldn't find a thing wrong.

When I could , I tried talking to the customer because the majority of the time what was written down was close to what the customer was complaining of.
I also hated changing parts , but in our case MaBell was paying the bill for the part most of the time and not the customer, just trying to keep the customer happy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just want to say don't always blame poor mechanics even tho there are a few or more then a few. When I worked at a big truck dealership the last service writer i worked for was a former truck driver. He had the ability to listen understand and transfer that info to us mechanics. Like others have said on here the mechanic ( yes I am freaking old and I was a mechanic and not a tech) only knows what he was told. Sometimes it's better to give back the vehicle or tractor still broken instead of charging $100 bucks a hour for something the mechanic will never find with the info he was given. This was posted just for information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts