Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm renting a large 29' camping trailer next week - about 5,000 lbs with maybe 500 lbs on the tongue. Problem is my driveway is long, narrow, tight curves and has some medium steep grade at spots. It will be nearly impossible to back it up (there isn't room to turn around at my garage) all the way to the house using my Grand Cherokee. However, I was thinking that my 1023E is shorter and far more maneuverable, so why not unhook the trailer at the road, and use my little Greenie to back the trailer down the drive, load it up with all our camping stuff, then haul it back up to the road. I'm always looking for more ways (excuses?) to use my tractor, but is the trailer to big and heavy for my tractor to effectively move it around?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts
That would be approximately 3.5 times the weight of your tractor. I would not do it.
I also think the trailer tongue would be really close to the ground, if you could get it hooked up.

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
A medium to steep grade? Yeah, with that kind if weight it would be super dangerous to attempt. Flat ground would probably be ok, but once hills get involved weight is a super huge factor in getting it stopped or keeping it under control. All it would take is you to lock or spin the wheels and you would be at the mercy of whatever the trailer wanted to do.

With the information given, I wouldn't attempt it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I sure wouldn't trust the brakes to handle any load like that.

Consider installing a front receiver on the Cherokee. I've watched the boat-guys do it for years. Makes maneuvering a breeze.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty much what I figured, but thought I'd ask the question anyway. The first section of drive from the road is fairly straight, so will probably just back it down the hill to the sharp curve in the drive and park it there. Then I can load camping gear in my loader bucket and shuttle back and forth. That will work too, just not as convenient for loading and unloading.Thx for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I move trailers around my property a lot but I don't think I would try one that big or heavy. The 500 pound tongue weight is pushing the limits too.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,923 Posts
Like others have said I wouldn't try it, plus being a rented unit NO WAY.

·
Administrator
18,351 Posts
You may not like this answer, but I would NOT tow that with your tractor OR that Cherokee as I have a feeling any 29' travel trailer that's loaded with gear will be much more than 5000 pounds.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
You may not like this answer, but I would tow that with your tractor OR that Cherokee as I have a feeling any 29' travel trailer that's loaded with gear will only be 5000 pounds.
You mean you wouldn't do that with either because the trailer most likely won't be under 5000, correct? I agree.

Here are some examples: 29 footers start around 6,400 lbs unloaded. Fresh water of 46 gallons adds another 300 lbs or so, not including any dishes, food, clothing, bicycles etc. You'll easily be pushing 8,000 lbs.

Specifications - Catalina - Coachmen RV

My parents tow their 34' with a 3/4-ton Avalanche with a trailer brake controller and an anti-sway weight distributing hitch and they went to that hitch because the trailer wanted to push their truck around on the road. Their truck is MUCH bigger than a Cherokee

I think that trailer is too big for a Cherokee too. It's only made worse because the Cherokee has a shorter wheelbase as well. The tail will wag the dog....

·
Administrator
18,351 Posts
You mean you wouldn't do that with either because the trailer most likely won't be under 5000, correct? I agree.
Yes, post edited above...sorry for the confusion.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts

Here are some examples: 29 footers start around 6,400 lbs unloaded. Fresh water of 46 gallons adds another 300 lbs or so, not including any dishes, food, clothing, bicycles etc. You'll easily be pushing 8,000 lbs.

Specifications - Catalina - Coachmen RV

My parents tow their 34' with a 3/4-ton Avalanche with a trailer brake controller and an anti-sway hitch and they went to the anti-sway hitch because the trailer wanted to push their truck around on the road.

I think that trailer is too big for a Cherokee too. It's only made worse because the Cherokee has a shorter wheelbase as well. The tail will wag the dog....
My neighbor tows a 34' with a silverado 1500. I always thought it didn't look right but this seems to confirm that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
My neighbor tows a 34' with a silverado 1500. I always thought it didn't look right but this seems to confirm that.

Way too much trailer for that truck.

FYI....Just looked up 2014 Grand Cherokee towing specs - Max towing 7400 lbs (2wd), 7200 (4wd) if properly equipped with Class IV Extra Heavy Duty tow pkg (some are down around 6200lbs)

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Way too much trailer for that truck.
What's even worse is that they go camping with friends that pull the same size camper with a avalanche 1500. Had a roofer over one time who saw the setup hooked up and ready to go and he claimed it wasn't even legal in wi. Not sure on the legal part but not safe for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
What's even worse is that they go camping with friends that pull the same size camper with a avalanche 1500. Had a roofer over one time who saw the setup hooked up and ready to go and he claimed it wasn't even legal in wi. Not sure on the legal part but not safe for sure.

Avalanche and Silverado 1500 are pretty much the same truck (auto engineer here.) I never like to be anywhere near the limits. It is illegal to exceed the recommended tow/GVWR ratings.

I also go slow when I tow (usually 60-65 MAX in right lane) and just let traffic go on by.

Stopping is always the hard part with an overloaded vehicle. Made worse by the difference in lengths - that 29' trailer is 2x as long as the vehicle towing it (in the case of a GC).

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts
Thanks, I was going to ask the same thing but had to take a phone call. Hard to actually do work and be on the forum at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Just spoke with my father. His 34' is 7100# dry, 9000# loaded.

Assuming the same #/ft - you're looking at 7,676# or so loaded in the 29' trailer.

Do you have a brake controller in your truck?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
As long as you are renting, why not rent a motor home?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Just spoke with my father. His 34' is 7100# dry, 9000# loaded.

Assuming the same #/ft - you're looking at 7,676# or so loaded in the 29' trailer.

Do you have a brake controller in your truck?
You know what happens when you assume! :lol:

I know there is a huge difference in weights these days with light versions of travel trailers. Some of them are 30-50% lighter than the old standard type travel trailer construction. I wonder if that is an option? 5k may be the light version, I don't know.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a 7,800 lb. 5th wheel which is 27' long I used to pull with a Chev. 1500 Silverado 4x4. I put air bags on the rear suspension and 456 gears for pulling. I did have bigger tires too which was part of the gearing choice. I had electric trailer brakes also.

When the RV trailer was loaded with all of our vacation junk (don't tell the family that) and tanks filled, it was a heavy load on the truck. Way too much for that truck. I pull a lot of trailers and I was not too comfortable with it. Much of the weight sets up high and affects how it towed especially down the freeway.

I did pull 12-14,000 pound loads of steel on a gooseneck with the same truck a few hundred miles several times. Way over the capacity for the truck and definitely not recommended. I believe it pulled easier and handled better than the RV due to the low center of gravity and less wind load. Good trailer brakes on both trailer axles helped.

I switched to an F-350 diesel and hardly feel the RV when loaded now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts