Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my 1023e has not been operated for a extended period of time it takes about 3-4 seconds for the oil pressure warning light to go out on start up, and the engine does 'rattle' letting me know that it is thirsty for oil. That being said if the machine is used daily or every other day it seems to be fine, is this considered normal? Does the engine oil filter have anti drain back? I'm using 5w40 Rotella. .
Thanks, Ron

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think he means he hears a "dry knock" because if whatever sound he's hearing goes away once the oil light goes out, it's certainly not normal diesel clatter he's referring to.
Exactly, I'm aware of the normal diesel engine sound. The 'rattle ' on start up ends as soon as the low oil pressure light goes out.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The oil pressure will sometimes take a few seconds after start to register best pressure.

The rattle is not because of the oil pressure. It's because the engine is a diesal and that's the sound of small diesal engines at low rpm..
I'm aware of the normal diesel engine sound. The 'rattle ' on start up ends as soon as the low oil pressure light goes out. The engine then sounds normal. It's like the first start up after an oil change, you know by the sound the engine makes that the oil pressure came up.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A follow up to my oil pressure on start up. I changed the oil and filter went to 15w 40 rotella syn ( had 5w 40 rotella syn.) and as mentioned a new JD oil filter as was on the machine before. I started the tractor to bring pressure up and check for leaks parked it back in the garage and left the tractor sit for 6 days to replicate the issue. I started the tractor and the oil pressure light flashed maybe two times in a second and went out and there was no engine noise (needing oil) as I described before. There is no smoking gun but I believe that the 'anti drain back valve' may have been faulty allowing oil to drain back out of the filter to the oil pan, just my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.