Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 1023e last fall for my 25 acres. We have a 3/4 acre pond on it. There is a spot down at bottom of land in would like to put what I call a nature pond. Land is pretty flat. Was wondering if u experience guys think it is realistic of me to think I can put about a 40ft diameter pond with the suct.I have front loader and backhoe. I would like to get at least 3 feet and maybe a little of it 6 ft deep. I know anything is possible with time but I was hoping like 30 hrs to dig. Not sure that is realistic with what I got. Only reason thinking of doing this is it won't cost me much. Don't want to do it if I have to hire someone. Thanks

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
If you have the time and patience, you could do it....think planning it out would be the key.....

Reactions: Levi and Tomfive

·
Registered
967 Posts
If your in a hurry.... contract it out or rent a bigger machine. Yes, IMO you can do it..... I would start with a Box Blade and go from there. It will take some time, but, it's a manageable project.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
No problem. Take your time. Spread the 30 hours out and enjoy your seat time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Have at it.
Keep your tractor well greased.
I think 30 hours is a bit on the light side for the size and depth you mentioned. Plus your bucketing away of the spoils.
Not to mention what you might encounter at 6 feet, meaning sand, water, wet clay, rock, etc.
Have fun and take pics.:good2:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Not to put a damper on your project but,check with the town to be sure your able to do this. I've seen things done that cost more to put it back due to zoning ordinances that have changed over the years.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
If you have the time and patience, you could do it....think planning it out would be the key.....
I agree that planning is important for this project. Not sure how you came up with a 30 hour estimate, but depending on what you are digging into (sandy or clay) and what you will uncover (stumps and rocks or shelf) will determine how much time you will need. If you encounter really large rocks, your 1023 may or may not be able to move it.

I did a little calculation, your 40 foot diameter 3 foot deep pond will be about 140 yards. Depending on you bucket size, it will hold 6 cu.ft (49") or 7.8 cu.ft (53"). So say each FEL load will hold about 1/4 yard, your talking about 560 trips. Now you have to plan where you're going to put that 140 yard of material. If you want to dig deeper, then more material to consider.

If you can dig with your FEL (tooth bar is recommended) you can figure out your time. If you have to turn around and dig with the BH, more time to the project.

Definitely do-able, just don't put a limit on how long it will take, more seat time is not a bad thing.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have excavated three little ponds with a mini-hoe,,
the fun soon results in what you want! :good2:

Summer pic,,,

Winter pic,,,

There are no "town ordinances" where I live,,, :yahoo:

The deer and other animals like them,,,
I am amazed at the tracks I find around the water.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
There are several videos on YouTube showing scut's digging ponds. One video I have watched a few times is of a guy digging what first was planned to be a small pond with his kioti, but his plans changed so he kept digging. He ended up with a rather impressive pond to be dug with a small tractor. I believe a few videos give the dimensions, depth, and the time needed to achieve their goal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody for ur replies. I do already have a toothbar I have been using and I am going to get a box blade this spring. It is something I plan to do in June or so as I am in western new York so I have to wait for it to dry up a bit. I do have some shale and a whole lot of clay. The good thing is the top foot or so which is topsoil quality will be used to put back around pond and other places on property. The clay I can pile up to the side near the pond to remove later after dug. I'm hoping I can dig quite a bit with fel and once I get a little deeper losen soil with box blade. Then use backhoe where necessary. I just came up with 30 hrs. My worry is if takes too long it will start filling with water and I would have to keep pumping it out. I will post pics when I start it...thanks again

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Thanks everybody for ur replies. I do already have a toothbar I have been using and I am going to get a box blade this spring. It is something I plan to do in June or so as I am in western new York so I have to wait for it to dry up a bit. I do have some shale and a whole lot of clay. The good thing is the top foot or so which is topsoil quality will be used to put back around pond and other places on property. The clay I can pile up to the side near the pond to remove later after dug. I'm hoping I can dig quite a bit with fel and once I get a little deeper losen soil with box blade. Then use backhoe where necessary. I just came up with 30 hrs. My worry is if takes too long it will start filling with water and I would have to keep pumping it out. I will post pics when I start it...thanks again
Filling with water may be a factor to consider, but so is it not being able to fill with water. So you don't know until you try. You can always wait until your area's dry season. Shale might be tough to get through with a small tractor but it sounds like you are familiar with your ground so maybe not.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Shale, clay.. Sounds like my part of NY! Haha. Where are you about?

Planning would be key, IMO. can you use your spoils to build up a rim on the low side, effectively deepening the pond without extra work? Are you going to have to seal the bottom of the pond, or do you have enough clay in your soil to let it go naturally? Got any friends who could help out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Southern tier of wny.. we actually have too much clay ?. One side is maybe two feet lower so I will build that up, so that will use some up. I have some other places could use some clay. Any extra I can build up mound behind shooting range

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nice! I'm about an hour north of Hornell, nearish to Dansville, so we definitely have similar soil composition. I think the 30 hour mark may be a bit low, depending on how dry the weather is. This past summer would have been perfect, the clay wasn't too wet or too dry, and cut just fine with the backhoe for me, at least. With the way this winter is going, I dunno how dry it'll be this year though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts