Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new owner of 1023E with 60” mower deck and 54” snow blower. Today was a task of taking off the mower and install the snow blower. I found the instructions to be ok for the mower deck but poor for the snow blower. I have the quick hitch in the front and that is easy to install, no problem. The snow blower drive shaft (long one under tractor) needed a bit of file clean up to the hex stock that mates with the bearings. Burrs and sharp edges need to be cleaner up since they prohibit sliding the hex thru the bearing hex races.

The major issue is the mower hydraulic lift kit needs to have the “Draft Rod Arm” removed to allow assembly of the long drive shaft to the mid PTO. No mention of this in the instructions. The welded tab on the “Draft Rod Arm” is dead center to where the long drive shaft wants to be. Assembly instructions for the mower hydraulic lift kit says to place tab towards the left side. I decided to remove the “Draft Rod Arm”. No big deal just two nuts and one side pair of hair pins to remove. Taking off one of the side arms allows removal of “Draft Rod Arm”. Everything else was straight forward and no issue. I will store the “Draft Rod Arm” with the mower deck to return to tractor in the spring.

I was surprised of the need to remove the “Draft Rod Arm” because I read in other posts that the only thing that had to be removed was the deck it’s self, nothing else. I’m pretty sure that was stated with the mower hydraulic lift kit in that posting.

·
Premium Member
20,444 Posts
I haven't put my blower on yet but had no problems with my old 2305. I have looked at the setup just didn't put it on the tractor . Only needed the front blade on the first snow it was very wet.

Just wondering did you have your mower lift arms locked up ??

I can not think JD would make us remove those parts just to install shaft for the blower.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't put my blower on yet but had no problems with my old 2305. I have looked at the setup just didn't put it on the tractor . Only needed the front blade on the first snow it was very wet.

Just wondering did you have your mower lift arms locked up ??

I can not think JD would make us remove those parts just to install shaft for the blower.
Yes, mower lift arms locked up. I verified it is solid against the stop. I agree it does seem a bit odd, it being necessary to remove a rod for the hydraulic mower lift. But if ya see the two pieces (long drive shaft and Draft Rod Arm) can not be in the same place at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I dont have a one series but I know the guys with the new auto-connect have to remove that unit to install the snow blower.

Is that what you are talking about?

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
I dont have a one series but I know the guys with the new auto-connect have to remove that unit to install the snow blower.

Is that what you are talking about?
That makes sense.

The Auto-Connect mower shaft and associated linkage must be removed for the snowblower shaft to connect to the mid PTO.

Auto part Fuel line Tire Automotive wheel system Pipe

·
Premium Member
20,444 Posts
That makes sense.

The Auto-Connect mower shaft and associated linkage must be removed for the snowblower shaft to connect to the mid PTO.

View attachment 12721
OK that may be having auto connect driveshaft for mmm...
I don't have the autoconnect drive only mower.

I'll try to connect mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense.

View attachment 12721
I do not have Auto-Connect mower shaft, just the manual connect drive shaft with the slide back collar. I did not find the associated Hydraulic mower lift linkage necessary to be removed, except for the “Draft Rod Arm”. Everything else associated with the Hydraulic mower lift does not interfere with the snow blower nor the long drive shaft.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
OK that may be having auto connect driveshaft for mmm...
I don't have the autoconnect drive only mower.

I'll try to connect mine tomorrow.
That would be great. Can you post a few pics please? :hi:

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
I do not have Auto-Connect mower shaft, just the manual connect drive shaft with the slide back collar. I did not find the associated Hydraulic mower lift linkage necessary to be removed, except for the “Draft Rod Arm”. Everything else associated with the Hydraulic mower lift does not interfere with the snow blower nor the long drive shaft.
Forgive me here. I want to make sure we are talking the same stuff. Can you identify the part to which you are referring to?

Auto part Text Diagram Line Line art

·
Premium Member
20,444 Posts
In the attachment it is part #1 that needs to be removed. It is part of the independent mower lift kit.
Needed to remove rod (Part1) from the lift arms.. I removed the 2 nuts from the end of the bar and thought I could slide the rod to one side and then remove rod. Well that didn't work ,removed the pin holding the lift arm still could not slide the rod. Then removed the front pin lift arm from either side of tractor, slide the rod out reinstalled the front pin and clip to lift arm. Put the middle pin and clip back in the lift arm . started tractor lifted the lift arms up to the locked postion . Done..
You might be able to lower the lift arms install the driveshaft above the arm on lift arms and then just lift arms so they wouldn't hit the driveshaft.
That would leave the lift arms to hang low and then you might get them caught and then cause damage to the lift arms.
Sorry no photos.

Or you could disconnect the lift arms at the pins of lift arm and the mid point of lift arm. Then you have 3 items you need to store plus pins and clips . Like dieselshadow said no need to remove everything just part 1 . I just couldn't get the rod out without doing the above .
you may be able to and save your self some time. Plus only one part to store .

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1023E Remove part to install drive shaft? I guess so.

etcallhome,

You did just as I said in my original post, but said it different.........

It appears that JD over looked this minor interference between long drive shaft and “Draft Rod Arm” (part #1). It's apparent to me an offset in the rod would clear the drive shaft negating a need for removal. But it is what it is. The welded on 3" long tab on “Draft Rod Arm” escapes me at to it's function.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
etcallhome,

You did just as I said in my original post, but said it different.........

It appears that JD over looked this minor interference between long drive shaft and “Draft Rod Arm” (part #1). It's apparent to me an offset in the rod would clear the drive shaft negating a need for removal. But it is what it is. The welded on 3" long tab on “Draft Rod Arm” escapes me at to it's function.
The Auto-Connect carrier bearing adjustment bolt rides on that tab.

Auto part Automotive exhaust

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.