Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title states; stiff shifting.
I have a 1023e that has about 275hrs and when putting the sifter in neutral then the brake to take the key out after use. Lately the shifting is always hard to move. I feel like I have to force it.
I remember reading something on the forums about someone else having similar issues but passed it off cause it didn't pertain to me. I tried the search but I guess I need a lesson on how to use the search cause I can't find anything on it.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
The problem occurs when there is a bit of drag on the gears. Are you parking it on a level surface? The issue is normally getting it to go INTO gear, not getting it in neutral. Normally all you have to do is touch one of the hydro pedals and it will then slip right into gear. Of course the engine has to be running.

Question - why are you putting it in neutral to park it?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Question - why are you putting it in neutral to park it?
I would think so that it will restart on the next use, but I’ve been wrong before, mine always gets put in neutral when parking and shutting it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
I would think so that it will restart on the next use, but I’ve been wrong before, mine always gets put in neutral when parking and shutting it down.
I guess I'm the weirdo then who always parks it in gear. :)

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I guess I'm the weirdo then who always parks it in gear. :)
I kind of knew what you meant, sometimes I can't help myself :lol: But I agree, could just be gear drag although like you mentioned, usually it's a problem going into gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
does the tractor move at all when in gear on a flat surface, but not touching either pedal? On my 1025r, when the shock absorber on the pedal linkage started unscrewing, it shifted the neutral point so the tractor would creep- and because of that it was difficult to put into gear.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Do you drop your implements before you take it out of gear? That could be the problem.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Like the title states; stiff shifting.
I have a 1023e that has about 275hrs and when putting the sifter in neutral then the brake to take the key out after use. Lately the shifting is always hard to move. I feel like I have to force it.
I remember reading something on the forums about someone else having similar issues but passed it off cause it didn't pertain to me. I tried the search but I guess I need a lesson on how to use the search cause I can't find anything on it.
If you are talking about putting it in high or low gear after starting that's common. SLIGHTLY push on forward pedal at the same time as putting lever into a gear. Remember, SLIGHTLY.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great answers guys!
I do park on a dirt drive somewhat uneven.
I do touch the pedal when putting into gear when/if it wants to give me a hard time.
I do not drop implements until engine is off.
I like it in N so I can lean over and start the tractor without having to shift to N. I am just prepping myself for next start. Plus habit when driving a stick and using the break.
Plus leaving it in N...doesn't that help the transmission? or ease it a bit vs leaving in gear. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
Great answers guys!
I do park on a dirt drive somewhat uneven.
I do touch the pedal when putting into gear when/if it wants to give me a hard time.
I do not drop implements until engine is off.
I like it in N so I can lean over and start the tractor without having to shift to N. I am just prepping myself for next start. Plus habit when driving a stick and using the break.
Plus leaving it in N...doesn't that help the transmission? or ease it a bit vs leaving in gear. :dunno:
Nope... makes no difference at all. Using the parking brake on an uneven surface is a good idea. Although I would leave it in gear also. The parking brake latch on these little tractors is just a tiny little notch attached to a plastic lever. You are probably better leaving it in gear in case the parking brake fails. If the slope is enough it can still roll while in gear but very slowly.

I never trust the parking brake on my 2720. If I am leaving the tractor unattended on any sort of uneven ground I always place a rubber wheel chock behind the wheel (or whichever side of wheel is applicable). I keep a rubber chock on my ballast box for easy access.

I'm not sure what the advantage is of dropping implements after engine is off. On the ground is on the ground engine running or not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got it! don't have to say it over and over again...:laugh::yahoo:
I like the idea of chocking the rear tire. It is not resting on a huge grade drop just a little 6%.
Just have to get a ballast box....forks...spreader..etc..the list gets longer:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts