Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a tractor to do tractor stuff. But I do have a few Airstreams and was hoping to be able to use the Tractor at times to move them if I wanted

The 1023e’s stated rear lift capacity is in the 680lb range

My 2007 25’ trailer weighs in under 500 pounds of tongue weight. So no foreseeable issue there.

However my 2015 30’ Airstream weighs in around 885 tongue weight per the factory brochure.

Am I foolish to ever even try to ever move the larger trailer with the tractor ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
You better be on dead flat ground. Any slope at all and that trailer is going to run you over. Please be careful. It's either going to lift it or won't. I'm gonna bet not on the 885 weight, maybe wrong:unsure:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Big trailers for such a small tractor.....I am with Big on this

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I agree with the posters above. For repositioning it would probably be fine but you better have some weight on the front end. I would also be very cautious of any hills because moving it and stopping it are 2 different thing. Have it push you would be a bad spot to be in.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I move my 22’ boat and my 20’ car trailer with my 1026R works ok on my driveway. But, the car trailer only weighs 3,000 ish lbs. Even with 8 suitcase weighs on the front of the tractor, the front wheels will come off the ground when trying to get started after the trailer wheels have settled into the ground a bit.

if your real careful it can work. But the tractor is going to be maxed out.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You can do it, but if you are not careful, it could be your last time. As far as the tongue weight, if you can lift it, go for it, but as others have said, you best be on level ground. I move my 7300# gooseneck trailer with my 4066R, but my tractor weight including the 1500# RFM is around 7500#, so it is not as outlandish as it might seem.

Dave

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My 1023E will lift my 23 foot wake boat from either the FEL with frame/receiver hitch, or from the 3-pt with receiver hitch. It definitely prefers to haul it around the yard with the 3-point. I don't have to worry too much about elevation, but I do take some comfort from the fact that it has surge brakes, so there is trailer braking if it starts to overtake the tractor. I have to use a battery and adapter to activate the lockout solenoid if I want to push the trailer backward, but I unplug it if I'm pulling forward to get the benefit of trailer braking. Presumably your Airstream has electric brakes, so once the thing starts rolling, your only braking comes from the tractor, which weighs probably about 1/3 of the weight of the 30 foot Airstream. You could probably lift it with the 3-point, but moving it is potentially very dangerous.

·
Corndog Hater
11,478 Posts
When we got our first camper, a 25’ Rockwood with a tongue weight of 540lbs, I had all sorts of bright ideas of moving it with the 1026R. However, even with lots of weight up front I still didn’t feel right, just not safe..... enough. I always had the tires aired up, ROPS up, seatbelt on, flat ground as much as I could. The 1026R did all I asked of it, never balked. I just felt I knew better.

Now with the 34’ Rockwood, not a chance!

·
Corndog Hater
11,478 Posts
Beautiful Airstreams by the way! And is that a half ton max tow? My tow rig is a 2018 Silverado 1500 max tow. (y)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wouldn't it be a good idea to have luggage (or other) weights on front of tractor? Also do it with a helper carrying a wheel chock so if it did start to roll improperly they could throw it under trailer wheel?
A 6"x6"x 2ft. post scrap makes a good chock.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
I am going to say this is something I would do, assuming the ground is very flat, surface hard and the total moving distance is likely a length or two of the trailer and not more. Make sure you have a ball mount and the right sized ball for the trailers in the ball mount (probably 2 5/16" ball), so you can make sure to lock the tongue onto the ball and go slow.

On flat ground, simply positioning the trailers to park them tighter, I would give it a try. Make sure to have the FEL on your machine and perhaps scoop up some weight in the bucket and keep the bucket VERY low, like no more than 6" off the ground. I frequently lift and carry up to 850 plus pounds on my 3 point and it gets the job done with the wheels on the ground.

When you are cranking down the tongue jack putting the load on the rear ball mount, just watch the tractor closely and see how it reacts. If it starts to excessively load the tractor, simply put the tongue jack back down. Obviously, I am talking about moving very short distances simply to position the trailers, like less than a length or two of the actual trailers and on perfectly flat ground. Otherwise, I would not use it.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I don't know that I would lower the trailer onto the three point. Will the 3 point hold a load that is more than it can pick up. If it can, could it hurt the tractor? I.E John Deere designed the 3 point to pick up x amount of weight without harming connection points, trans axel, other components.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why not a trailer dolly...(There are more, this is a 1,000# Northern Tool one).
Dolly handles all the tongue weight. Tractor simply moves it.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Airstream 25' and I made the mistake of trying to move it with the three point hitch and no load in the front bucket. I made it worse by using the receiver hitch that is part of my ballast box so my resulting tongue weight was way over the limit, and the point of leverage was worse by probably 18" due to the ballast box. All went fine at first but there was a gentle down slope, and my front wheels went right off the ground and the trailer started to jack-knife the whole setup. I had no steering control - my only option was to use the brakes and also lock the rear diff together with the pedal. That caused the front to get back on the ground. What saved me was the ballast box itself digging into the soft ground causing the whole mess to come to a halt.

I think you'll be way better off than me with a load of gravel in the bucket, and if you can avoid the carnival setup that I was attempting to use. My only point here is that it can get crazy and you indeed need to think about loads and basic physics. That event was humbling- with fortunately no damage but to my own ego.

I maneuver my Airstream now in very tight/flat spaces with a Trailer Valet XL. Very effective, Very safe. You'll have to google it, as links for me are restricted as I am a new member.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree with the others be very careful. Most RV trailers like our tandem utility trailers have a breakaway switch in case the trailer comes unhooked from the tow vehicle. I would test it before moving the trailer if your battery is good, pull the wire and it should remove the pin and cause it to lock up the wheels on the trailer. When moving the trailer have the wire in hand in case things go south.

Doug

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
When I used to haul excavation and paving equipment, I would position the weight so the axles took most of the weight, and a little forward tongue weight for the truck, and the whole thing would drive like a dream. When I had a 08 Arctic Fox 28 footer, I was able to pull it with a Yukon by shifting weight to the back of the camper. At first I tried with a bunch of stuff in the back of the aYukon and it squatted like a Chevy Luv full of cinder blocks. That wouldn’t do, so I took all that crap and put it into the back of the camper. Leveled Out the Yukon, and away I went. You could do the same with your limited lift capacity of your little tractor that might. Put some weight into the back of that puppy, and it turns into the little tractor that can. Friend of mine stores boats and campers on his ranch, and wheels them around with a Kubota with a ball welded to the front of his bucket and he uses this same method.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My 1023 with a loader worked fine for moving a 22' enclosed trailer around with 3 point hitch.
However doing it without the loader on turns it into a carnival ride. Front wheels bouncing up and down and brakes being the only method of direction change. I say direction change instead of steering, because saying steering gives the illusion of control!
An intelligent person would have stopped immediately and installed the loader or used the pickup. Thank goodness I'm stubborn and not intelligent.
Neighbors got a free show anyway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts