Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
My 1023 with a loader worked fine for moving a 22' enclosed trailer around with 3 point hitch.
However doing it without the loader on turns it into a carnival ride. Front wheels bouncing up and down and brakes being the only method of direction change. I say direction change instead of steering, because saying steering gives the illusion of control!
An intelligent person would have stopped immediately and installed the loader or used the pickup. Thank goodness I'm stubborn and not intelligent.
Neighbors got a free show anyway.

Dr. Maphesto, some of us live vicariously through you......................and remain much safer doing so.. :giggle: ....Not that we want you to be the crash dummy........

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Ironically, one of the things which causes people towing the greatest problems is they haul a trailer and don't match the tongue coupler size to the ball size. Its almost as if some people don't know there are different size hitch balls, not to mention different weight rating and capability trailer hitch balls.....

Most common I would see is a 2 5/16" tongue coupler with a ball mount with a 1 7/8" or 2" ball and the tongue lifts right off the ball mount since its not properly locked on. They also don't put a pin or bolt through the tongue to keep it locked on, which is a basic safety step I would bet 7 out of 10 tag trailers / bumper hitch towed vehicles DON'T do. But even locking on a hitch to the wrong sized hitch ball won't keep it on the hitch when the load shifts to the rear.

I have seen landscapers unloading equipment from their trailer tip the trailer tongue and gouge the *hit right out the bumper cover and tail gate. He then said "Oh, I forgot to put the rear jack down on the back of the trailer." Having a ball sized which fits the hitch would also avoid the problem.........Amazing........

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Beautiful Airstreams by the way! And is that a half ton max tow? My tow rig is a 2018 Silverado 1500 max tow. (y)
Thanks! I had a 2007 Silverado Max with a 6.0 for a long time and it pulled the camper great. Made a few cross country trips with it and the Camper and the only reason I traded it in was because it had over 270k miles on it and I thought it was starting to burn a little oil. I traded it in for a 2015 Silverado 6.2 with the Max Towing setup.

It's been working great for me and I just don't haul anything big or often enough to jump up to a 3/4 ton diesel.

·
Corndog Hater
11,478 Posts
Thanks! I had a 2007 Silverado Max with a 6.0 for a long time and it pulled the camper great. Made a few cross country trips with it and the Camper and the only reason I traded it in was because it had over 270k miles on it and I thought it was starting to burn a little oil. I traded it in for a 2015 Silverado 6.2 with the Max Towing setup.

It's been working great for me and I just don't haul anything big or often enough to jump up to a 3/4 ton diesel.
Mine is a 5.3 max tow with the 8 speed transmission. Those extra gears make a big difference. I really like this truck and we use it for the bulk of our travels, towing or not. Of course, with the LTZ package, it’s a pretty cushy ride. I agree on the 3/4 ton. We take our time and don’t race while towing. We tow about 2,000 miles per year at most, camping locally primarily.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My 2025R moves my 30' trailer just fine. Either front or rear of the tractor. I have an old electronic brake controller and a few spare plug receptacles. I am thinking about adding them to the tractor. The brake light switch will activate the controller. I thought I would wire in the marker lights and turn signals mostly for four way flahsers. And the battery charge line for the flat bed and car tilt deck that sit a lot. The RV has a float charger built into the power converter and stays plugged in so it's always charged. I move trailers a lot with mine. I have never had a problem. But I had it get away from my old smaller tractor a few times and had to drop it to stop it. So a brake controller I have and don't need seems like a good safety add. It's a timed controller so mounting angle won't matter. I will just mount it where the gain controll and manual actuator are easy to reach.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Somewhat off topic, and this is all from memory. Grandad next door growing up bought his first Airstream trailer about 1958. His # was 2418 as I recall. Subsequently he had three, trading in one for a better one until a few years later bought his first motor home.
Grandparents took me on Airstream caravans all across US, Canada, Mexico.
I met Wally Byam, and still have a Wally Byam beret. He actually towed an Airstream trailer across Mexico with a bicycle! That was to prove how easy they towed. It was a 17ft. "Bambi" as I recall.
When camps were set up they were in concentric circles. Wally's trailer was either "0" or "00" and in center.
It was an amazing experience, making and visiting friends, they always had a big cookout and entertainment (I met Phillis Diller at one).
Everyone had folding chairs and people would tell experiences. One I always remember was this husband and wife traveling through Arizona. Husband was driving, pulled over and asked wife to drive, he decided to take a nap in the Airstream.
They're going along and it's pretty hot in the trailer so he strips down to underwear and falls asleep.
Suddenly he wakes up because the trailer was stopped. So he steps outside to see what's going on. He watches in horror as his wife takes off. She had stopped for a traffic light and he's in downtown Phoenix in his underwear.
Soon he's arrested, taken to jail for public indecency. Police didn't believe his story, he had no ID. He did remember where they were going to set up camp for the evening.
Finally they call the town sheriff where the rally was, search and find the vehicle. The wife says obviously a mistake since her husband was dressed napping in the trailer.
After she discovers he's missing she parks Airstream then drives all the way back to Phoenix to get her practically naked hubby out of jail.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ironically, one of the things which causes people towing the greatest problems is they haul a trailer and don't match the tongue coupler size to the ball size. Its almost as if some people don't know there are different size hitch balls, not to mention different weight rating and capability trailer hitch balls.....

Most common I would see is a 2 5/16" tongue coupler with a ball mount with a 1 7/8" or 2" ball and the tongue lifts right off the ball mount since its not properly locked on. They also don't put a pin or bolt through the tongue to keep it locked on, which is a basic safety step I would bet 7 out of 10 tag trailers / bumper hitch towed vehicles DON'T do. But even locking on a hitch to the wrong sized hitch ball won't keep it on the hitch when the load shifts to the rear.

I have seen landscapers unloading equipment from their trailer tip the trailer tongue and gouge the *hit right out the bumper cover and tail gate. He then said "Oh, I forgot to put the rear jack down on the back of the trailer." Having a ball sized which fits the hitch would also avoid the problem.........Amazing........
I saw a guy try to laod a 3/4 ton PU on A car trailer. It was hitched to a 1/2 ton truck with an empty bed. It was parked on a hill. The rear of the tow rig came up as he loaded the bigger truck and it rolled into a power pole. Totaled the tow rig. Wheel chocks on the trailer would have likely prevented that. It would have towed OK if balanced right and safely loaded.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I move my 32’ camper with the pallet fork backrest with a receiver hitch mounted in it. The tongue weight is about 650 lbs. It may be a little dangerous to some but it pulls it fine and the brakes work just fine stopping. Going slow and steady is the key. If I got into trouble I would drop the loader to the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have moved my utility trailer (smaller than your trailers, but still...) with both the 3-point hitch and the FEL. I MUCH prefer the FEL. Using the front, I can maneuver that trailer around a tree and tuck it in between the garage and a fence in a jiffy. One of the big advantages of the front is being able to turn the trailer rapidly because the front wheels are more directly turning the trailer, rather than waiting for the front wheels to move the back wheels to turn the trailer. I won’t ever use the back again to move the trailer around.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts