Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 1023e that will no longer pull my landscape rake, dig dirt ect.. The hydrostatic just starts humming and pretty much won’t go. Now this is under a strain but not out of its operating limits. It will move and lift, but pulling not so good. Replaced hydro oil, filter, suction screen, flushed oil system. It’s not the motor, just loss of hydro power. No issues with loader or turning. I did have water and a hole in screen. Could pump be bad? I pulled the hydraulic pump but it’s seems to be clean and turn freely. I can provide pics.

·
Super Moderator
6,527 Posts
Hmmm.. The same pump runs your loader and steering hydraulics so I'd expect that if the pump was bad you'd notice it with them too.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Could the brake be stuck?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.. The same pump runs your loader and steering hydraulics so I'd expect that if the pump was bad you'd notice it with them too.
Agree, but im
wondering if turning the hydrostatic motor (or whatever the proper term is) take more of a demand than lifting and that’s where the problem starts. I really haven’t had any lifting limitations.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would check your fuel supply pressure/fuel filters. All other functions but pulling are working properly, It could be the threshold between where fuel pressure drops off and where its still ok to do loader work. By comparison, to run the steering cylinder and loader cylinders require far less torque from the engine, than the hydrostat does.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
No, it doesn’t start winding right away, takes the motor about 10m as the hydro oil warms up. It’s the proper flying from JD and the radiator is clean and full.
Probably time to get a service manual and start checking pressures in the tranny.
The transmission is a hydraulic pump and motor all integrated in 1 package.
One of the key tests would be to make sure it’s building fully pressure at relief.
You mentioned water and a hole in the screen. Can you elaborate on that a little?

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
That pump doesn't drive the tractor, it acts as a charge pump for the "hydraulic transmission" (the "Hydro") ... so, its role in driving the unit is pretty much just feeding oil to the axial piston pump and motor pair that move the machine.
Those parts are extremely sensitive to contaminants, and will fail far more quickly on poor oil than a gear or vane pump.

So you could have great SCV and 3 point performance, but the tractor wont move, if there's something up with the hydro unit.
Or, you could have a relief valve failure in the hydro.

How old is this 1023e? How many hours?
Any idea how the screen got a hole in it? (is it rust? .. you said water...or physical damage?)

You having issues in low range, or just high?
(I was surprised when I got my 1023e how quick it is to bypass when I tried to "work" in High, then super happy with what it can do in Low)

I'll get you a little more info on theory of op in a few... gotta find stuff.
Edit... Added below...

(A) is the hydro... (you are lookin at (D))

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Is your Power Steering working ok?
That's in line right before the hydro... if that's working well, you can head right to the hydro diagnostics.

How did the old fluid look?
Did you cut the hydraulic filter apart and look at the media for particles?
(Looks like that's after everything else and only filters oil headed to the hydro... )

There are two relief valves involved in the drive-train...the charge relief and the drive relief.
Maybe one of those is stuck or has a bad spring.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
I would suggest that the OP check the brake also, making sure that it is fully released. Also suggest that he run his tests in low gear. High gear is fine for driving to the gas station and little or nothing else.

Reactions: BWV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok long story short I took it to dealership due to “whining noise” when pulling my landscape rake. At first it pulled the hell out of it, so I knew something wasn’t right. I admit I totally didn’t realize there’s was a screen (my lack of due diligence) and poor troubleshooting. I just wanted it fixed. The told me the suction screen had a hole in it and the fluid had some water. That was fixed and flushed properly. The mechanic said “that was my problem, good thing you saved your pump”. Well got it back on work and again low range after a few minutes the whining. It high gear it won’t even crawl up trailer ramps. It’s only isolated to the movement of the tractor. Just driving it’s fine, but I can tell it struggling. I pulled the pump thinking trash was in the intake, but no cigar. So lines are clean from suction to discharge of pump. I did run the tractor at times with the whining to finish up my stuff, but wasn’t like I had it floored, just babied it so I could get my burn piles lit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is your Power Steering working ok?
That's in line right before the hydro... if that's working well, you can head right to the hydro diagnostics.

How did the old fluid look?
Did you cut the hydraulic filter apart and look at the media for particles?
(Looks like that's after everything else and only filters oil headed to the hydro... )

There are two relief valves involved in the drive-train...the charge relief and the drive relief.
Maybe one of those is stuck or has a bad spring.
That would make sense, a relief valve is lifting. The engine never bogs down, so it’s like the pump is pushing the fluid to the drivetrain. The drivetrain just doesn’t respond, like cavitation or pressure reliving. Guess the relief are buried in the axles?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Ok long story short I took it to dealership due to “whining noise” when pulling my landscape rake. At first it pulled the hell out of it, so I knew something wasn’t right. I admit I totally didn’t realize there’s was a screen (my lack of due diligence) and poor troubleshooting. I just wanted it fixed. The told me the suction screen had a hole in it and the fluid had some water. That was fixed and flushed properly. The mechanic said “that was my problem, good thing you saved your pump”. Well got it back on work and again low range after a few minutes the whining. It high gear it won’t even crawl up trailer ramps. It’s only isolated to the movement of the tractor. Just driving it’s fine, but I can tell it struggling. I pulled the pump thinking trash was in the intake, but no cigar. So lines are clean from suction to discharge of pump. I did run the tractor at times with the whining to finish up my stuff, but wasn’t like I had it floored, just babied it so I could get my burn piles lit.
You need to check charge pressure, and max pressure of the hydrostatic pump.

Reactions: BWV

·
Registered
592 Posts
If your tractor has a lot of hours on it, it could be that the tolerances have opened up some from wear. Are you using low viscosity HyGard fluid? If so, switch to regular viscosity instead of the low viscosity.

I troubleshot my tractor and finally changed to regular viscosity HyGard. Problem solved. $300 spent messing with that LV crap. I have 1800 hours on my 4520. The summer heat also plays havoc on the LV oil for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts